D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Nibelung

First Post
Does anyone remember the exact date that the Compendium stopped being updated? Because on the last errata they changed how Hybrid Divine Challenge works, but the compendium still show the old mechanic. I want to know how much errata I actually need to consult.

Tys

Villager
I heard something about hybrid Warlock|Battlemind being a very good striker once, but can't find anywhere on the internet why exactly at the moment. Does anyone know why? Something that has to do with Brutal Barrage, probably?

MwaO

Adventurer
I heard something about hybrid Warlock|Battlemind being a very good striker once, but can't find anywhere on the internet why exactly at the moment. Does anyone know why? Something that has to do with Brutal Barrage, probably?

Probably because you can use single stat and Brutal Barrage/Eldritch Strike/Lightning Rush is a good combo(if you optimize damage correctly for Brutal Barrage, which is a lot of trouble for what it is worth...)

Tys

Villager
Probably because you can use single stat and Brutal Barrage/Eldritch Strike/Lightning Rush is a good combo(if you optimize damage correctly for Brutal Barrage, which is a lot of trouble for what it is worth...)

Could you maybe elaborate more on why this is a good combo, aside from that they all use Constitution? I assume you take Heavy Blade Opportunity to be able to use Brutal Barrage and Eldritch Strike on an opportunity attack when enemies try to get away after you used Lightning Rush? In that case, what would Eldritch Strike actually add, compared to Brutal Barrage?

Zathris

First Post
Could you maybe elaborate more on why this is a good combo, aside from that they all use Constitution? I assume you take Heavy Blade Opportunity to be able to use Brutal Barrage and Eldritch Strike on an opportunity attack when enemies try to get away after you used Lightning Rush? In that case, what would Eldritch Strike actually add, compared to Brutal Barrage?
Heavy Blade Opportunity requires 15 Str+Dex, so for a Con primary that is going to want at least a 15 Wis or Cha and probably some Int as well for Warlock riders, that's a feat you're just not going to bother with realistically. I wouldn't suggest taking it anyway, because OAs in Paragon/Epic are few and far between (outside of Leaders and Controllers causing them) and as soon as you start abusing HBO, the DM is going to retaliate. Not that most DMs won't retaliate against a fully optimized BM|Lock ...

It's a good combo because:
Stat compatibility
Warlock has arguably the strongest MBA in the game with Eldritch Strike + Curse Dice. MBA is important because most decent leaders are going to find ways to grant you attacks.
Battlemind has the strongest Striker at-wills with Brutal Barrage and Lightning Rush providing self-generated 5 attacks/round virtually guaranteed
Warlock Curse has fantastic support, giving bonus defenses and a boon with Twofold Pact and various Rods causing multiple stacking vulnerabilities for BB to take advantage of
Warlock gets you Ethereal Sidestep for at-will teleport movement (boosted to decent distances with items)
Warlock and Battlemind Dailies and Utilities provide non-Striker role support with strengths in Control and Defending.

It's not a simple build though, and honestly if you aren't instantly seeing why through just MwaOs sentence, it's probably not something you should play because you're likely to end up disappointed that it's not working the way we said it would.

MwaO

Adventurer
Heavy Blade Opportunity requires 15 Str+Dex, so for a Con primary that is going to want at least a 15 Wis or Cha and probably some Int as well for Warlock riders, that's a feat you're just not going to bother with realistically. I wouldn't suggest taking it anyway, because OAs in Paragon/Epic are few and far between (outside of Leaders and Controllers causing them) and as soon as you start abusing HBO, the DM is going to retaliate. Not that most DMs won't retaliate against a fully optimized BM|Lock ...

It's a good combo because:
Stat compatibility
Warlock has arguably the strongest MBA in the game with Eldritch Strike + Curse Dice. MBA is important because most decent leaders are going to find ways to grant you attacks.
Battlemind has the strongest Striker at-wills with Brutal Barrage and Lightning Rush providing self-generated 5 attacks/round virtually guaranteed
Warlock Curse has fantastic support, giving bonus defenses and a boon with Twofold Pact and various Rods causing multiple stacking vulnerabilities for BB to take advantage of
Warlock gets you Ethereal Sidestep for at-will teleport movement (boosted to decent distances with items)
Warlock and Battlemind Dailies and Utilities provide non-Striker role support with strengths in Control and Defending.

It's not a simple build though, and honestly if you aren't instantly seeing why through just MwaOs sentence, it's probably not something you should play because you're likely to end up disappointed that it's not working the way we said it would.

Right. One of the big problems of such a build is that it tends to not be particularly good at all or it breaks the game. Which isn't generally a good route to having a happy table...

Also, Battlemind has a U16 which is similar to Monk's Quicksilver Motion. That's really, really good to have...

Tys

Villager
Interesting stuff, thanks a lot both. It's true that I don't know much about Warlocks or Battleminds (or 4e optimization in general to be honest), and I don't plan on playing the build. My friends insist on only playing with PHB1, PHB2, AV1 and AV2 allowed anyways, so there isn't much if any optimization to be done in general. It does really interest me though, so that's why I asked.

MwaO

Adventurer
Interesting stuff, thanks a lot both. It's true that I don't know much about Warlocks or Battleminds (or 4e optimization in general to be honest), and I don't plan on playing the build. My friends insist on only playing with PHB1, PHB2, AV1 and AV2 allowed anyways, so there isn't much if any optimization to be done in general. It does really interest me though, so that's why I asked.

You can do a lot with that, although Battleminds are in PHB3...

This is a good link for running through the various options:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...acter-Optimization-WOTC-rescue-Handbook-Guide

Tys

Villager
Quick question, not because I plan on using it but just curious:

There's a level 9 spellscarred multiclass encounter power, Death Vortex. If someone would want to take this power, they would still have to use Novice Power instead of Adept Power to get it, right? Since it's an encounter power and not a daily power, even though it's level 9. If so, what is really the point of it being a level 9 encounter power and not a level 13 encounter power? The same rules for swapping for a class power would apply for it, right? Did the writer just make a mistake, or am I missing something?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases