D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

MwaO

Adventurer
Quick question, not because I plan on using it but just curious:

There's a level 9 spellscarred multiclass encounter power, Death Vortex. If someone would want to take this power, they would still have to use Novice Power instead of Adept Power to get it, right? Since it's an encounter power and not a daily power, even though it's level 9. If so, what is really the point of it being a level 9 encounter power and not a level 13 encounter power? The same rules for swapping for a class power would apply for it, right? Did the writer just make a mistake, or am I missing something?

That's an instance of a reasonably clear cut mistake that never got errata - either it was supposed to be a daily power or of a different level. Seems like a daily given the sustain minor, though.

masteraleph

Explorer
Not so simple, I guess, but not really worth a thread of its own either.

Currently playing a Shoot to Thrill style build, about to be at level 29. While he's very nice in combat against tofu, I find that all too often now, tofu tends to resist cold. A minor action can switch Gloves of Ice from +4 damage to ignoring 10 resistance, but a number of enemies at this level are resist 15, 20, 30, etc.

Any suggestions on how to mitigate the issue? There's a Ring of Elemental Mastery, which is fine after a milestone. Not finding much else, though, to help solve this problem.

masteraleph

Explorer
Hello !

I've seen many 4e hybrid build with 4 trained skills (or 5 if it's a human) on this forum (example : http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471674-Darth-Vader-Swordmage-Defenderlock), although hybrid classes can only choose 3 skills. Is it a "non-official" modification of the rules ? Or did I miss something (like a errata) ?

Thanks for your attention !

Three is the baseline standard, but some classes get more. By way of example, if you look carefully at the entries for Hybrid Bard or Hybrid Ranger, each one says you get an extra trained skill (so 4 if you were to hybrid with most hybrids, or 5 with each other- and while it's not a standard Hybrid, and they don't seem to have much in common, it's actually not a terrible one if your goal is Ranged Striker with a few additional tricks).

In the case of Darth Vader, he's getting +1 for being a Human (that doesn't disappear just because you're a hybrid) and +1 from Battle Awareness (multiclass feat). If he was updated to the final stuff released in 4e- he's not- he might also pick one more up depending on his theme.

darkbard

Legend
How does the Warlord D1 Destructive Surprise work? The effect says the target can use the free action attack power but in the CB (notoriously buggy, I know), it calculates the attack and damage as if the character who uses the Destructive Strike power makes the attack. Just a CB bug? Or am I misunderstanding the power?

masteraleph

Explorer
How does the Warlord D1 Destructive Surprise work? The effect says the target can use the free action attack power but in the CB (notoriously buggy, I know), it calculates the attack and damage as if the character who uses the Destructive Strike power makes the attack. Just a CB bug? Or am I misunderstanding the power?

Looks like a CB bug. The character who makes the attack should be the basis for the calculations.

Junkyard Dog

Villager
Two questions: 1) How long does the unconsciousness caused by the 1st-level wizard daily Sleep last? 2) Is there any way for a creature made unconscious by Sleep to become conscious again through another creature's actions?

masteraleph

Explorer
Two questions: 1) How long does the unconsciousness caused by the 1st-level wizard daily Sleep last? 2) Is there any way for a creature made unconscious by Sleep to become conscious again through another creature's actions?

1) Save Ends. So at the end of each of their turns, they get a saving throw (in some cases, like with Solos, they might also get one at the beginning- some monsters have traits like that, which will be listed in their stat block).
2) Another creature could grant them a saving throw (this is more typical for PCs than monsters, but it does exist for monsters).

Remove ads