D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

The Academy Master epic destiny has this D20:
Master's Surge
With great skill, you increase the power of an oft-used spell to devastating effect.
Daily Arcane, Reliable ; Implement or Weapon
Standard Action
Effect: Use one of your arcane encounter attack powers on the target. That power is not expended. If you hit, you deal +2[W] damage, or +2 dice of damage if it is a nonweapon attack. You can also increase the duration of any effect the power applies to an enemy to “(save ends).”

Does this work on powers that don't have a duration, like Mass Charm?

I am 90% sure the answer is "duh, no! duration has a specific meaning in 4e" -- but I promised the player (I'm the DM) I would at least ask.

hugodlr

Explorer
Quick question, because my Google-fu is just not working for this one: where are the (or are there) rules for creating Ritual Scrolls? Thanks in advance :)

Ritual scrolls: yes, there are rules. DDI Compendium says they are on PH p. 298
Basically, *creating* the scroll takes 2x as long as scribing into a book, but *casting* the scroll takes 1/2 the casting time *and* you don't need the Ritual Caster Feat... meaning that anyone can use the scroll which is the entire point.

MwaO

Adventurer
The Academy Master epic destiny has this D20:

Does this work on powers that don't have a duration, like Mass Charm?

I am 90% sure the answer is "duh, no! duration has a specific meaning in 4e" -- but I promised the player (I'm the DM) I would at least ask.

Instantaneous is by definition not a duration :)

hugodlr

Explorer
Ritual scrolls: yes, there are rules. DDI Compendium says they are on PH p. 298
Basically, *creating* the scroll takes 2x as long as scribing into a book, but *casting* the scroll takes 1/2 the casting time *and* you don't need the Ritual Caster Feat... meaning that anyone can use the scroll which is the entire point.

Thank you - I was pretty sure they were somewhere, but my cold & medication addled brain was drawing a complete blank :)

darkbard

Legend
Do Stout Shield and Retributive Shield apply the bonus derived from BCL (on a hybrid Cleric|Fighter) to Fortitude and Will, respectively?

Zathris

First Post
Do Stout Shield and Retributive Shield apply the bonus derived from BCL (on a hybrid Cleric|Fighter) to Fortitude and Will, respectively?

Yes, though I don't consider non-scaling +2 to a single NAD worth a feat. Superior Fort/Ref/Will are only worth it because they Scale AND provide a benefit.

darkbard

Legend
Fair enough. I was just curious about the interaction of the game elements. But the bonus would stack with Superior Fortitude or Will, right, since it's a shield bonus? (Or with Improved Defenses, for that matter...)

And if one didn't qualify for the Superior X feat, I can see where it might be worth it...

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
Fair enough. I was just curious about the interaction of the game elements. But the bonus would stack with Superior Fortitude or Will, right, since it's a shield bonus? (Or with Improved Defenses, for that matter...)

And if one didn't qualify for the Superior X feat, I can see where it might be worth it...

There's a scaling, +2/+3/+4 no-prereq version of all of them. Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will. Just lose the benefit.

darkbard

Legend
Yes, of course, but GF/LR/IW won't stack with Superior Fort/Will or Improved Defenses as Stout Shield and Retributive Shield do.

At Paragon, a character can have +3 FORT/+2 REF/+2 WILL from [Superior Fortitude or Great Fortitude] + Improved Defenses, for example, or +4 FORT/+2 REF/+2 WILL from Stout Shield + Improved Defenses. Sure, one loses the extra benefit, so it likely isn't worth it, but on some niche builds that extra boost to FORT might be worth it, no?

But if one is considering Will defense, and if that character has another feat slot available for defense, I can see Improved Defenses + Superior Will + Retributive Shield being a possibility: +2 FORT/+2 Ref/+5 Will, plus the save benefit. Certainly, it would be a niche build that could afford all three feats without gimping other aspects of the character, but....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases