[LPF] Into the Wilds Part 1

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Brog takes a javelin to the shoulder, but the stout dwarf shrugs off the wound. Scuttle, though, is badly hurt (-3 hps), and begins to tumble down towards the ground. Luckily, Regar's owls are quick reacting, and since they can't keep up with the dire bats they ensure Scuttle doesn't take more damage by falling to the ground. The creature is bleeding out, however.

Radaceus

Adventurer
Snorri Ironaxe, Stonelord (Paladin 1)

[section]
Bounding up to Tilley, he sees Brog drop one of the goblins from it's flying mount, Snorri cheers, "Fint skot, bróðir!"

Dropping his shield to the ground at the farmer's feet, "protect yourself with tha, case they comin' back," and readies his light crossbow, calling out to the fleeing goblins "Come back an' face me, cowards!"[/section]

[sblock=Dwarven] "Good shot, Brother!"[/sblock]

OOC: 'Seahawk Down! Seahawk Down!'

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Snorri Ironaxe Stonelord (paladin) 1st level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Darkvision 60 ft.
Speed: 20'

AC: 18 (touch 11; flat-footed 17) HP: 12/ 12<<currently shieldless (16)
CMB: +3 CMD: 14
Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +3

Hatred: Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes because of their special training against these hated foes

In Hand: Light Crossbow Attack: +2 = [BAB (+1) + Ability (+1) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d8+1, Crit: 19-20/x2, Piercing, Range 80'
Off Hand:

Conditions: None yet
[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
"Someone tend to the wounded; I'll tend to the cowards." Brog loads his bow with another arrow as he acknowledges the compliment with a nod of his head before loosing the arrow at one of the fleeing goblins.

[sblock=actions]attack, damage: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
1D6 = [4] = 4
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]AC: 15 (Touch 11, Flatfooted 14)
*+4 vs Giants
HP: 14/14 Initiative: +1
Perception : +7 Sense Motive: +8
CMB: +3 CMD: 14
*+4 vs bull-rush, trip when on ground
Fort: +5 Reflex: +3 Will: +4
*+2 vs poison, spells, spell-like abilities
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow
Current Conditions in Place: Fury Hex (+2 to attack, vs fear) 3 rounds[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
Regar stands up from the ground, approaching the owls
"Wow! You guys did great! Way to go in saving that seagull, that was nice because he's an Eidolon. It's cool you birds seem to stick together! Have some bread!". He pulls out some of his crust and throws it down to the owls. The owls proceed to eat the bread before
disappearing, the contents that were going down into their stomachs remaining, before falling to the ground.
"EheHeh Whoops! I forgot that that happens... Oh well, SNACKTIME! I'm famished!"
He then proceeds to eat the remainder of his bread whilst sitting in the dirt, completely oblivious to everything else around him.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Joseph's friend, Tilley, seems elated at his rescue as he mops his brow and says, "Oi, Joseph! I thought you left this darn place, and here you come galloping in with these here heroes. I thank the lot of ye, and just wanna let you know that you are always welcome at the Tilley farm."

After talking to him about the strange goings-ons you learn the following rumors:

- Lady Aborn, sister of the Baronet, is a divine spellcaster willing to aid noble heroes in their quest.
- Something about the Spires corrupts men's minds and turns them into crazed cannibals. A tribe of ghoulish spellcasters make their home in a valley in the Spires.
- The goblins are ruled by a terrible demon that can only be appeased by human sacrifice. The goblin chieftain cannot be harmed by normal weapons, and even steel is turned away by his skin. It can be commanded by those that know its true name: Breeyark.
- The young Baronet of Wildsgate is sickly and near death. It is said that the men of the family are cursed and die before reaching middle age.

With that, Tilley wishes you a good journey, helps Joseph load the goblin corpse into the wagon and cover it with tarp, as you will be rewarded for the kill in Wildsgate, and you are off again. As you approach the fortress town you cannot help but feel a bit disappointed. The fort looks effective, but crude and incomplete. Over time the fort grew to include stone walls, docks, and a towering citadel that surveys the land for miles in every direction. However it is unfinished and raw, and the fortress is not a safe town or a pleasant city, but a citadel surrounded by a savage wilderness. Joseph explains that several hundred peasants live in mud huts and hovels surrounding Wildsgate. Their work has transformed much of the forests south of the river Saedre into fertile farm-
lands, but no one, peasant or warrior, ventures past the north shore. The south is patrolled by Captain Argun and his cavalry.

As your wagon enters the fortress and passes the guards on duty, you are given a quick tour of the structures of note inside. The Mug and Blade is the local tavern, the Falling Star Inn and Black Dragon Inn are places to sleep when you have the coin, there is a lively Market Square for the purchasing of everyday goods, the Hammer and Anvil Smithy for weapons and armor, The Broken Manacles locksmith shop, The Bloodstone moneylender office, the local Chapel, and a warehouse near the docks. The Market Square is dominated by a towering statue of a brutal savage. In one hand is an upraised battleaxe; in the other, the head of an enemy. Fallen foes lie about the feet of the conqueror, crying out for mercy or a quick death. A plaque at the base of the statue reads: “Wulfrun, Ruler of Wildsgate, Now and Always.” The Baronet is a descendent of Wulfrun, your guide explains.

Joseph takes you right up to the local barracks, however, where you see a young, dashing cavalry officer in a surprisingly well-kept uniform talking to several other horsemen. When there is a break in the conversation, Joseph comes up and shakes hands with the officer, who then turns your way in order to approach you in greeting, "Well met! I am Captain Argun. Mr. Farmer here tells me that you sellswords had an encounter out by the Tilley farm and took down a mounted goblin warrior. Fantastic work! I'm going to send a messenger out to the proprietor of the Falling Star Inn. It's owned by wonderful Lady Aborn and is where the upright folks in this settlement stay when they travel through. For your deeds I'll see to it that you get a free night of room and board. In the morning, come on by to see me and I'll have a map ready for you of the goblin-held areas nearby. Every goblin warrior wears a special collar made up of animal teeth and a small rune to their god. I pay ten gold pieces for each that you can bring to me, starting with the one on the corpse you just brought in. Every dire bat has an ankle bracelet used to help tether them when they are not in use. I will pay 25 gold pieces for each ankle bracelet you bring me. Finally, supposedly there are human hostages that have gone missing during the raids. If you return any citizen that has been reported as captured, I will pay an additional 50 gold coins per person returned. You'll want to make sure you carry ranged weapons if you are going against dire bats and their riders. Any questions?"

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=OOC] If Regar had another hour to attempt to learn another spell in that time, he would have tried to learn "break". If so, [roll0][/sblock]

"Yes, I have some questions" The elf says dryly as he crosses his arms. "You say 'Goblin held areas', so is each area like an independent cell or more like a moving part of the greater whole; that is, can we weaken one 'base of operations' by taking down another? Perhaps taking down wherever they produce their dire bats would remove their height advantages? Even if that can't be done, having an idea as to where to strike first and so on, would be helpful". Regar adjusts his hat as he continues, treating this discussion as an academic one.

"Secondly, do you have a library I can have access to? I would like to look into any local information that may assist us?" [sblock=OOC][roll1][/sblock] "In my research I've come across information on magics and magical creatures. Immunity to standard weaponry is not unheard of. It naturally would quickly allow even the weakest of goblins to become top dog... The others would probably view their chieftain as either a god made flesh, a demigod or a chosen of some sort, however, the possibility that he is, whilst not impossible, is unlikely. The question is, if not that, how did he gain such powers? Through some sort of demonic bargain? A magical item? A powerful spell? Whatever the case, I can only guess, however I theorise that in order for us to combat this chieftain, we need to either use offensive spells, magical weaponry or spells that allow weapons to bypass such immunities. As I said, I'll look into local records to see if there's been anything in the past that sounds familiar to this. Perhaps there is a clue somewhere." He stops, taking a breath before beginning to pace, clearly trying to plan out the next part of the journey as meticulously as possible, before snapping to it and looking up at the Captain. "Oh, right, we were having a conversation, I forgot..." He stops trying to move about and awaits the captains reply.

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
Brog frowns heavily at the part about steel being ineffective, and is surprisingly quiet and serious for the rest of the trip and during the initial meeting with the captain. Before adjourning to the taven for a good drink, "If my axe is going to be insufficient, we will need to find other means to fight the chieftain. As my expertise in going to be of little immediate use, I will be getting supper at the tavern should you need me."

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry I've been absent so long. I'll get up to speed and post in the morning (didn't have time tonight after post-travel chores).[/sblock]

Radaceus

Adventurer
Snorri gathers his light hammer and reclaims his shield from Tilley, letting the farmer know he owes him no debt as it were an honor to fight the goblins, only wishing he could have landed a blow. He listens intently to the rumors of the goblins, scoffing at the notion of any goblin being undefeatable, his hand subconsciously finding the head of his light hammer at his side.

Calling out to the other dwarf "Hold up, Brog, ah'll join ya"

Remove ads