Pathfinder 1E Bestiary 5 - flavour fail

prenzie

Explorer
I'm with Jester Canuck on this one. Retrofitting some other monster's stat block isn't all that hard. I actually think the flavor and the fluff is the main reason to get a new Bestiary. The best monsters in Bestiary 5 have such good stories that you want to immediately design an entire session around them: the videravn is a great example of how well Paizo can do flavor, the possibilities just reading what that monster are amazing. So much of the book is so good about imaginative ecologies and backstories and mythology that when we get something like the devastator, my reaction is just like, Why did they bother?

Put another way, the tarrasque is this iconic bad-ass not because of its CR or its stats, but because of the story surrounding it: once every hundred years, this unstoppable monster ravages the countryside. What DM doesn't want that to happen?

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd happily sacrifice 1/2 the monsters to know more about how the remaining ones fit into the world, interact with other races, behave, worship, etc.

Remove ads