Pathfinder 1E Bestiary 5 - flavour fail

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Wow. The Crone Queen in Paizo's Bestiary 5 has some of the shortest (and worst) descriptive text in the game's history. "Crone queens are unique and deadly creatures formed from the frozen remains of Baba Yaga's daughters." That's it.

Look up the meaning of the word "unique", Paizo. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

But really... two lines? That's all they can think of to put in the Bestiary about the Crone Queens?

I haven't had time to look at much beyond the art just yet... I was genuinely impressed with the lore within the latest "Occult Bestiary", but I have yet to read Bestiary 5 in some depth. Crone Queen: is that the one that looks poached straight from Game of Thrones?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's a layout thing. Every creature is spread across exactly one or two pages. The stat block and the art really only have so much tweaking that can be done, so it's usually the flavor text that gets squeezed when space becomes an issue. It's not like this is unique to Bestiary 5; plenty of other monsters in earlier books have gotten similar treatment.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The thing people might not realize is Crone Queens are one of those monsters that was used in Reign of Winter. They are probably more evocative if you have an understanding of that particular part of the world/campaign setting.

That being said, I don't think ALL the descriptions were great but I do think the artwork in MANY places is a notch above what I was expecting.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Wow. The Crone Queen in Paizo's Bestiary 5 has some of the shortest (and worst) descriptive text in the game's history. "Crone queens are unique and deadly creatures formed from the frozen remains of Baba Yaga's daughters." That's it.

Yep, that is short flavour text alright.

Looks pretty bad ass though!

GishBandit

Explorer
Please understand, ink and space is limited when a book is put together. Paizo has to choose carefully what they put in as apposed to data overload. As a player, the reason I bought the Bestiary 5 is the monstrous humanoids, humanoids and undead.

Those are the beasties I can turn into and keep my armor, sword and the like when I change shape. Polymorph is like gas on a camp fire in a fight. Getting larger and having multiple arms creates options. You can carry a reach weapon and a melee weapon to threaten all squares you threaten. For changing shape to a larger creature, increasing to a size large creature gives a +1 to attack with CMB against CMD unlike a -2 to attack AC. For turning into a size Huge creature, a +2 is given to attack CMD with CMB. Sunder, Trip, Grapple, Reposition and the like are incredibly successful on low rolls. Not to mention the damage output increases along with reach in which creatures smaller than you can not take a free shot if they can not reach you when you provoke.

I like the layout of the book, the stats of the monsters fulfill roles that the other bestiary's do not completely fulfill. As a GM, ever since the first bestiary, the monsters are scarier and scarier as each Bestiary has come out. That means as a player or a GM, the fire power can be increased for the players and more fire power means more epic fights.

As a side note, I feel the story should propel the fights just like it should propel the role-playing, investigating or what not. I have noticed players like fire power. The more people play the more fire power the would like to have. Such increases means greater rules struggle. The more I play and understand chapter 8 of the core rule book, the more the rules become easier and that struggle has become less.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well, unique can be wide or narrow. I am Unique because there is no one quite exactly like me. However, Humans are also unique as there are no other creatures on Earth that are exactly like them even though as humans we have a variety of defining characteristics.

I do agree though, that I would like to know more. Who creates them? How? For what reason? Lots of questions can be drawn from that simple statement.

Unfortunately, I also understand that as much as it sucks, they really can't fit much more in on that page. The statblock and the image take up pretty much all the space. I feel like while they could have arranged things to fit better, the ecology would still only be half complete simply due to restraints, but they probably wouldn't need a second page....

Although in my opinion, I think there's a lot of weird and pointless creatures within the book and I wouldn't have minded some of them being removed in order to give more space to some of the other creatures, give them evocative ecologies or add unique feats or items or variants or something. Though variants WOULD make the Crone Queen less unique. :)

It was devastator whose lack of flavour irked me.

I'd rather have had 250 monsters with each one being interesting and inspiring, encouraging me to use them in my game due to their story rather than have 300 monsters with a couple dozen that I just flip past because I don't know how to work them into an adventure as more than a random encounter.

I only need so many new statblocks. Because I can easily just run a monster from the monster creation numbers at the back of the book while pulling special abilities from another monster (or two or three). Statblocks are not that important so long as I can describe the monster in an interesting way. When I loose the flavour text I'm losing the part of the game I cannot as easily do myself, where I want other people's creativity, where I'm looking for inspiration.
I've never used a monster solely because I've wanted its special snowflake power. When I design and adventure I consider the story and then find monsters that match the story of the appropriate CR (+/-2). Occasionally, while looking for a monster, I've found one with a cool story and changed my adventure to accommodate that. When a monster has no flavour, when planning an adventure I often skip right past those without even stopping to look at the statblock to see if the abilities would work.

Pathfinder has always had a hard time getting flavour into the Bestiaries. What with 3-6 lines of skills and feats eating up a full paragraph of text. And the older the game gets, the more complicated monster powers tend to get.
I think the problem with many of these monsters is they were from Adventure Path Bestiaries, which gave them two pages. So they had the monster statblock (and that couldn't change) and the art (also unable to change) and they have to condense the flavour from a page to whatever is left. Which can be unfortunate.

Remove ads