Assault on Dire Wood

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Guess so," agreed the big guy, shrugging back. Something about that bothered him a little, but damned if he knew what it was!

So Big Yann put on the furry boots, trying out a few running steps, jumps and combat moves, but nothing obviously magical happened...

"Boots of... warmth?" he guessed. "Anybody here got cold feet?" Rhetorical, but he was looking towards Dorn when he said it. No reason (although, after the fact, the man's scramble to hide behind Bumble - of all people - had been rather funny to watch, right?).

"And what does the rest of this stuff do, Mister Raz?" he inquired of his mage friend with a smile, in what was pure ship's lingo. He leaned down over the gathered ring, broach and cloak - and technically the flaming sword too, but they pretty much knew what THAT did! - picking each over to see if they had any markings, special feel in the hand or the like.

Half the fun of getting magical items was figuring out what they did!

OOC: What would you say to a bit of a competitive feeling/camaraderie between Yann and Dorn, Steve? They both share a naval background, so I think some one-upmanship could be fun? I'll remove the above if you don't feel like it though.

OOC2: Anything on the magical items, 3Spd?

OOC: Game on! ;-)

Dorn gladly takes the boots, and tries them on. Then smiling, as he walks around with them, "These could be useful, me opening the trail with Ydadoras and all. We are the first ones that will be hit, as we saw with this little exchange. And besides, I am sure that sitting safely back, behind us front liners, on that warm beast of yours, you would probably get uncomfortably hot with such fineries..."

Skarsgard

Explorer
Bumble smiles at Kesem, "If you could work out what they are it would be greatly appreciated."
Watching Yann and Dorn prancing around the glade she shudders, "It would seem current efforts are proving less than precise."

OOC: Bumble is happy for short rest, or can heal up people that are hurt.

River Song

Explorer
OOC: Ydadoras has taken 13hp damage, nothing to worry about, he can heal himself. [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] have we secured the area?

3SpdDragster

First Post
Kesems investigation of the items under the magnifying glass reveal very little about the items except that they betray absolutely no signs of workmanship. The is not a single tooling mark of any kind, such perfection in craftsmanship is generally only in the realm of elven craftsmen.

Ydadoras and Rikka having scouted out the immediate area find nothing else lurking in the woods, but have found a fresh trail of several humanoid creatures. They came from a south western direction and clearly belong to the slain creatures around you.

OOC: Kesem volunteered to identify the items, which would mean no short rest required. So unless there are any objections, @Strahd_Von_Zarovich over to you.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
smiling, as he walks around with them, "[...] And besides, I am sure that sitting safely back, behind us front liners, on that warm beast of yours, you would probably get uncomfortably hot with such fineries..."
"Probably, probably," mildly agreed Big Yann with a bit of teeth to his grin. "And the warm'll do your fingers good too, right, so it's perfect! Steady your aim a bit..."

Kesem thought on vanishing with his rope trick magic but when Ydadoras and Rikka notify the area is secure, Kesem in relieved - the ritual must not be interrupted.

He takes a fallen branch and draws a triangle on the forest floor with Draconic runes at each of the three points. He than takes some white powder from his pouch and fill the draconic letter. He place the magical items in the center of the triangle and begin to chant. The Draconic runes begin to flare with soft white glow. Kesem starts to circle the triangle and throws the powder on the items while he chants.

Half an hour later, Kesem kneels on the base of the triangle, holding each item for several minutes, concentrating and mumbling to himself.

When the ritual is done, he drains his waterskin - it was tiring.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Kesems arcane insight determines that before him lay:
- The Boots of the Winterland
- A Ring of Protection
- A Cloak of Protection
- A broach of shielding
- A +1 Vicious Longsword

Ah... These demons were heavily protected with magic.
These two were crafted by elven wizards...
Kesem points to the cloak and ring ... they provide the wearer with a protective magical defense.
This nice decorative brooch hold a magic that protects the wearer from spell of magical force ... I will bear that brooch if I may. Kesem says and place it under his heavy robes.
The boots Yann is wearing were made from the fur of an ice troll and were strengthen with magic to keep the wearer warm and immune to spells that can freeze the body.
As for the Longsword - when one scores a precise strike (20) the wounds will be more severe.

Kesem stands up, leaving the items minus the brooch on the forest floor. pick the items that will help you the most. He goes to his horse and mount it.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"And the warm'll do your fingers good too, right, so it's perfect! Steady your aim a bit..."

Dorn laughs at Yann's teasing words. "I'll take all the help I can, being out of practice as I was!".

OOC: Dorn doesn't have a strong preference regarding the magic items, although the long sword and the cloak aren't useful to him. In order of preference, Dorn would like the ring, the boots and the brooch, although he understands if the ring goes to a "real" front-liner ;-)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
If no one else says anything, Dorn grabs the ring. He'll then proceed to rest a bit.

OOC: going for a short rest to regain warlock sell slots and fighter's second wind

Remove ads