Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
tl;dr: Good movie, stands proudly with the original trilogy.

I have a lot of the reactions others have. This is an interesting hybrid of a reboot and a new story. Didn't bother me, though, as a lot of the tiresome tropes were thankfully missing (hallelujah for the lack of severed limbs).

Saw Han's death coming a mile off, but it was done well. It's what a father would do, and he died trying to save his son; no regrets. There was real struggle in Ren's face. I don't think that act is irredeemable; Anakin killed dozens of Jedi, including children, and was redeemed 20 years later. But now that Rey has done with him for now, he has reason to be wearing that mask after the scar she gave him!

BB-8 was a lot better than I thought he'd be. In fact, I'm on board with Finn and Rey and Po and the other new characters we met; well written, well acted/CGI'd, and people I want to spend more time with. That I did NOT expect.

When I saw Squidward (or whatever his name was) on the screen, my first thought was "Gollum is a Sith Lord!" And then I watched the credits and saw I wasn't wrong. I guess the Ring wasn't destroyed after all.

Overall, this is the movie Disney wanted and needed. They needed a fresh start to set the next decade-plus of yearly movie releases on a solid storytelling and fanbase-supported footing, and I think they did it. JJ Abrams was born to direct this movie, and I think he can call it quits now. I just wish he hadn't tried to work out these Star Wars urges on Star Trek last decade; very similar energy in both films.

I had very low expectations going in to the movie, but now I'm ready to see what else is in store. In other words, spend money. That's also something I didn't expect.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anakin killed dozens of Jedi, including children, and was redeemed 20 years later.

Was he, really, though? I don't think there is any action you can take which redeems something like that. Chucking an old man who was lightning blasting your son down a hole certainly doesn't redeem him! And he did plenty of other evil things, too. I don't think Anakin gets to have redemption.

Well, I'm wrong, because clearly he does - he appeared next to Yoda and Kenobi as a happy force ghost. But I think that's a terrible misstep.

Falkus

Explorer
It was 5 planets, all of which were visible from whatever planet it was Han was on. So in the same system, presumably. That's about all it said, though, and no mention was made of it again!

From what I gathered of the supplementary material; it was the Hosnian system, which was serving as the current capitol of the Republic, which was moved from Coruscant. The Capitol is changed on a semi-regular basis.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
From what I gathered of the supplementary material; it was the Hosnian system, which was serving as the current capitol of the Republic, which was moved from Coruscant. The Capitol is changed on a semi-regular basis.

I googled it for the hell of it and got a bunch of canon info. I read that Chandrilla was the current capitol of the New Republic, while the Hosnian system to the Republic was like Hawai'i to the U.S. during WW2.

I'm going to read some more into it.

I wanted to add: Kylo punching his own wound to keep his anger strong was a great extra. Little things like that can make a scene. Adam Driver was great. I now wish he played Anakin in 2 and 3.

Orlax

First Post
Was he, really, though? I don't think there is any action you can take which redeems something like that. Chucking an old man who was lightning blasting your son down a hole certainly doesn't redeem him! And he did plenty of other evil things, too. I don't think Anakin gets to have redemption.

Well, I'm wrong, because clearly he does - he appeared next to Yoda and Kenobi as a happy force ghost. But I think that's a terrible misstep.

Similar feelings here. Going to the dark side properly involves doing things there are no redemptions for like for instance when they genocided 5 planets. It's why vader's "redemption" came alongside immediate death. He did the one possible thing he could do to even remotely start making up for all the evil he'd done (by attempting to save the galaxy and his son from the emperor), and suffered a death penalty alongside his only possible redeeming act.

The force ghost at the end, when the original had it happen was fine because Vader was only amorphously evil and had, by his hand and command, killed very few people in fact. However after the prequel trilogy when Vader stopped being amorphously evil and became so definitively evil they should have taken that out.

Orlax

First Post
I googled it for the hell of it and got a bunch of canon info. I read that Chandrilla was the current capitol of the New Republic, while the Hosnian system to the Republic was like Hawai'i to the U.S. during WW2.

I'm going to read some more into it.

I wanted to add: Kylo punching his own wound to keep his anger strong was a great extra. Little things like that can make a scene. Adam Driver was great. I now wish he played Anakin in 2 and 3.

I frickin loved the punching his own wound bit as well. It's also an old tactic, punch an injury to make it hurt more so that the normal plain it is inflicting seems less terrible.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Was he, really, though? I don't think there is any action you can take which redeems something like that.

From my personal moral standpoint, I agree 150%. But if Anakin is a glowy knight at the end of RotJ, then I guess screenwriter Lucas and the Force have a different perspective.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases