Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
He's one of the questions raised by the movie. Unfortunately, I don't know that they'll answer this particular one, though I hope they'll answer why the Skywalker lightsaber called to Rey, who her parents are, and why she was left on Jakku.

I took the force visions not so much as "meant for Rey", but as that saber was used by the most powerful Jedi of their eras in great and terrible actions, leaving behind something of a force echo. And her latent abilities kickstarted when she contacted the overwhelming force echo.

I also can't wait to see who Rey's parents are, who whom Tekka truly was. And the triumphant return of Captain Phasma whom is supposed to play a larger role in VIII, or so I read.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I was so happy to see the lightsaber fights return to their roots in REAL swordplay, and not crouching tiger overdone choreography where they attack each others weapons for an hour. It was desperation, anger, fear, and swinging right at their enemy in short, true to form bursts trying to land a blow before tiring out.

I may get a few gasps, but this bumped RotJ from my top 3. And it's not too far from tying ANH, but ESB is far ahead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
you didn't like it?

Every callback isn't comedy genius. I watch Marvel stuff for the 90 quips a minute, and that's fine. Star Wars can pull back a little on them, I feel. My favourite Star Wars film was Empire, which was pretty quip-light.

That particular quip? Meh. Next they'll be winking at the camera.

halfling rogue

Explorer
Every callback isn't comedy genius. I watch Marvel stuff for the 90 quips a minute, and that's fine. Star Wars can pull back a little on them, I feel. My favourite Star Wars film was Empire, which was pretty quip-light.

That particular quip? Meh. Next they'll be winking at the camera.

I hear you, but I actually thought that line fit right in with Han's character. It was a win win quip in my book. I can see how it causes some to eyeroll though.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My favourite Star Wars film was Empire, which was pretty quip-light.

Quip light? Empire? I just watched it and it probably has the most verbal humor of the whole series.
Edit: Though Force Awakens may challenge it on that score.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm not impressed. Not bad like the prequels, but nothing original or captivating. The movie is just fast paced and that help us from thinking too much about plot holes, stereotypical dialogues and just copie/past from the first films. There were no risks taken by the director, no real surprises*. Abrams gave fans what they wanted, not what they didn't know what they wanted, to paraphrase a critic.

*Tell me Rey isn't Rey Skywalker.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases