Prestidigitation: What is it good for?

Prestidigitation and the rogue.

Ok so I have had a few excellent uses of prestidigitation with IRL games. Rogue sneaking up on camp of sodliers. Wizard not far off, cantrips the fires out and wets (soils) each torch. Presti a small drag figure and puts a light behind it to cast on the wall a dragon. Soldiers freak and begin to corral around the areas furthest from the shadow. They now are surprised with a knife in the back and rolling to see if he gets caught after each sneak kill.

Also phantom pyre. Make a guards torch extinguish and light yours at the same time off to the side. A ghost whisper floats about. Then The fires switch again.

In battle I've used personally the cantrip to distract guards in the strike of thing. "I use presti to make glittering balls that glow. I want to the hit the goblins eyes when he lifts his sword." Fine, goblins successfully hits, but as he swings his sword light hit his eyes all sparkly, goblin drobs the sword to rub his face, use a bonus action?
Combat2: it's your turn what do you want to do. There's three men approaching with daggers. "I heat their handles to burn their hands, and say I am the Lord, your hands shall feel the scorn of attacking me and not worshipping me"

Also. I've used it as a rogue sorcerer, throw my voice and create a body odor in a different opposite facing direction. Knife their back.

Presti a trap to look normal and they fall in.

Survive a blizzard. Protect against ice attacks. Heat yourself up or your armor a bit.

Protect from fire by dampening and cooling off. In a Forrest fire set by a mad necromancer like I once was, youd be cooling off and dampening everything too.

It's been used to create a beacon or a lighthouse on a cliff. My dm was saddened by the ease we had. We where supposed to build a light house. took a broken sheild from a guard. Got drift wood. Cantriped mold earth to make a circular slab put that on a rolling ball bearing made out of earth. Dried drift wood and set ablaze created two small figures to hold shield. Presti and mold earth. Done.

I never get disguise self. If I can change the colors and smell. Nobody would recognize me for the most part.

Richards

Legend
My son's gnome fighter used prestidigitation to randomly change a different party member's hair color for an hour each day - usually something obnoxious, like light green or neon pink. (And he was sure to occasionally use it on himself as well, so nobody'd wonder why he was being avoided.) Sometimes he'd then use ghost sound to make the sound of fluttering wings and stifled giggles in the area. He had the whole party convinced they were being stalked by mischievous, invisible fairies.

Johnathan

Greenfield

Adventurer
Ok so I have had a few excellent uses of prestidigitation with IRL games. Rogue sneaking up on camp of sodliers. Wizard not far off, cantrips the fires out and wets (soils) each torch. Presti a small drag figure and puts a light behind it to cast on the wall a dragon. Soldiers freak and begin to corral around the areas furthest from the shadow. They now are surprised with a knife in the back and rolling to see if he gets caught after each sneak kill.

Also phantom pyre. Make a guards torch extinguish and light yours at the same time off to the side. A ghost whisper floats about. Then The fires switch again.

In battle I've used personally the cantrip to distract guards in the strike of thing. "I use presti to make glittering balls that glow. I want to the hit the goblins eyes when he lifts his sword." Fine, goblins successfully hits, but as he swings his sword light hit his eyes all sparkly, goblin drobs the sword to rub his face, use a bonus action?
Combat2: it's your turn what do you want to do. There's three men approaching with daggers. "I heat their handles to burn their hands, and say I am the Lord, your hands shall feel the scorn of attacking me and not worshipping me"

Also. I've used it as a rogue sorcerer, throw my voice and create a body odor in a different opposite facing direction. Knife their back.

Presti a trap to look normal and they fall in.

Survive a blizzard. Protect against ice attacks. Heat yourself up or your armor a bit.

Protect from fire by dampening and cooling off. In a Forrest fire set by a mad necromancer like I once was, youd be cooling off and dampening everything too.

It's been used to create a beacon or a lighthouse on a cliff. My dm was saddened by the ease we had. We where supposed to build a light house. took a broken sheild from a guard. Got drift wood. Cantriped mold earth to make a circular slab put that on a rolling ball bearing made out of earth. Dried drift wood and set ablaze created two small figures to hold shield. Presti and mold earth. Done.

I never get disguise self. If I can change the colors and smell. Nobody would recognize me for the most part.

Several of the uses you mention are borderline illegal, and a couple flat out don't work.

You can warm, cool, clean or soil up to one cubic foot of non-living per round.

So cooling and dampening your surroundings or yourself in a fire? A cubic foot of surroundings maybe, but not yourself. And "soil" doesn't usually equal dampen.

It can't duplicate other spell effects, so voices and sounds are out. Use Ventriloquism or Ghost Sound for those.

Similarly you can't "presti' a trap to look normal". That would take an actual illusion spell like Silent Image.

Not sure how you mold earth with it either. You can lift up to a pound of something, slowly, and I suppose you could shape a one pound ball of mud into a ball or disk in the same way, but you could do it faster by hand.

The spell description says it can't do damage, so the idea of using it in place of Heat Metal to burn people's hands by warming their weapons? I don't see it. Also, "Warm" isn't "heat to painful temperature".

The spell says it can't break a spell caster's concentration. Distracting Goblins with sparkly balls? Sure. Blinding them, even for a moment, by aiming those sparkly balls at their eyes? A real stretch, at best.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bloody useful spell, one of my favorites, but what you're describing really isn't supported by the spell description.

But hey, if the DM says it's okay and everyon'e having fun...

Greenfield

Adventurer
I may have been a bit hasty. Apparently the Mold Earth you mentioned was a cantrip in its own right, not a use of Prestidigitation.

Can't find a reliable source for it though, outside of 5e, which isn't what we're talking about.

Savnock

Explorer
Mechanically, i found the cleaning-up-oneself utility the most helpful. If your characters have been through a nasty battle etc., they should be utterly filthy. Going straight to the Baron's Hall to get their reward, reporting evildoers at large to the authorities, etc. requires a certain level of respectability. If they're stinky and covered in kuo-toa ichor, trog stench, or whatever, they should at very least take a -2 circumstance penalty on that. Voila, prestidigitation to the rescue!

Greenfield

Adventurer
Originally that feature was described as a "small whirlwind" that dusted. It wasn't a shower, shampoo, dry-clean and armor polish" all in one.

The list of things it does has changed from publication to publication, and the interpretations and house rule additions have done nothing but expand with time.

Savnock

Explorer
Haha, a clear example of edition-bloat, [MENTION=6669384]Greenfield[/MENTION]!

I do like that a lot of the minor 2nd-ed cantrips got rolled into prestidigitation. Simplicity is nice. As long as it's not creeping into actual-1st-level-spell territory, i have zero problem with it doing a wide range of things... just not deep ones.

Greenfield

Adventurer
For a while there was the generic spell "Cantrip", which covered pretty much all of them.

I think Change was my favorite though. Why use Knock? "Change Locks to Bagels" did the job nine times out of ten.

The big thing on all versions though is the caveat, "Can't duplicate the effects of any other spell.". Since there are spells to cover pretty much everything (limited Wish, Miracle and Wish included), technically no version of Prestidigitation should ever work. Everything it can do can be accomplished with another spell.

It even lists some: You can, slowly, raise a weight of up to a pound, it says. Duplicating the effects of Mage Hand, another Cantrip, and Telekinesis.

I like to think of it as the general purpose "I'm a Mage" spell, handling all sorts of minor functions, a convenience.

In one game I had a low level caster who needed money. (Don't they all?) He cast Prestidigitation (which lasts an hour), then went into a bar and ordered a jug of the absolute worst rot-gut the man had. He then made a show of popping the cork, humming a tune, and blowing a note in the open jug.

Meanwhile he was using the Prestidigitation to change the color, taste and aroma of the contents. When the bartender saw him pour out a beautiful amber liquid that smelled like top shelf stuff, my character answered the unasked question, "It's a gift of the Fey, that we can make foul things fair, and a meager meal into a feast.", after which he poured a second shot for the man.

We ended up with a deal: I'd "enchant" a jug of the bad stuff, he'd sell it at top shelf prices, and we'd split the excess profit.

And as long as the customers drank it down within that first hour, it went down smooth and sweet. It wasn't until the next morning, when hangover time came, that they even had a clue what had happened.

The other players in the game were wondering how I'd done that. I told them that the Spellcraft DC was 25 or so. They hadn't seen the spell cast, so they never observed any verbal, somatic or material components. Each missing component adds 5 to the DC, so if the base is 10 plus spell level ...

They thought my character had these weird Fey powers, and wondered how the DM had let me get away with that.

I worked to maintain that illusion for a long time. Good fun.

Celebrim

Legend
Prestidigitation was meant to cover all the 1e cantrips.

The rules as written are very vague as to what it can do so I tried to clean that up and clarify while having a few subtle things it could do that were problematic (changing the color and flavor of things). In my 3rd edition house rules, it did the following:

Prestidigitation
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Sha 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No
Prestidigitation is actually a collection of very simple and basic spells, which can be cast repeatedly, quickly and without strain, and used in combination by a creative magician to create an almost endless variety of effects.

Although you cannot use prestidigitation to change an item’s actual properties, you can use prestidigitation to slightly alter how something appears and is perceived. You can alter the color, taste, odor, and feel of an object as long as it remains in range. These changes are superficial and obvious to a trained eye but can fool casual inspection or less keen observers. The effect of this is to give up to a -5 penalty on attempts on skill checks to appraise, detect or analyze an object, depending on the suitability of the change. For example, making a bit of clear glass appear to be a diamond, or making a bit of bad wine taste like good wine are very suitable changes.

Prestidigitation can be used to move items weighing up to a pound slowly, at the rate of 5’ per round. Light weight ropes can be ordered to knot or unknot themselves, allowing certain use rope checks to be made at a distance. It can also be used in this way to move dust or dirt off or on to objects or separate and sweep light objects into piles. Items occupying up to 1 cubic foot can be cleaned, soiled, or gathered in this way per round. Alternately, very light weight objects such as raindrops can be held at bay, as an umbrella of force. This screen is however insufficient to seriously impede actual missiles or even hurled stones. Prestidigitation can be used to move the air and create slight drafts or breezes similar to that created by a hand fan. It may also be used to slightly chill or warm a small object, but never enough to create pain or injury. By creating cooling or warming breezes and other minor alteration of the environment the spell caster may grant up to a +2 circumstance bonus on any endurance checks provoked during the duration of the spell as a result of the elements. Because of the weakness of the spell, this bonus can be extended to at most the caster and one other person.

Prestidigitation can be used to teleport fine sized objects about ones person, for example, from one hand to another, from a hand to a pouch or back again, and so forth. It is commonly used for retrieving pinches of spell components from their hiding places.

Additionally, prestidigitation can be used to create small objects – usually no bigger than what can be held in a palm - out of thin air. These objects may appear like anything but are easily recognized as artificial if held and inspected. They have no significant weight, cannot bear more than a pound of force, have no hardness, no hit points, and automatically fail any break checks. They may however be used to engage in any action that doesn’t require significant force, so for example largely functional needles, magnifying or reading glasses, cups, toothpicks, sponges, hats, quill pens, paper for temporary notes, spoons, and other small tools that are not used with great force can be created. At the end of the spell or whenever they leave range, the objects vanish.

When using prestidigitation to create an appropriate effect, the spell caster may gain a bonus of between +1 and +3 to various skill checks - most obviously bluff, craft, disguise, hide, open lock, perform, sleight of hand, and use rope. The spell caster must explain how the effect he is creating helps in this particular situation, with highly appropriate explanations receiving higher bonuses at the DM’s discretion.

Remove ads