Prestidigitation: What is it good for?

ThorneMD

First Post
There are many great uses, but in the campain I play in it is house ruled. We ruled it so that any magic user with it on their spell list can cast it spontanisly(sp?). This way a 11th level wizard can cast does 3 fireballs and still be able to dry himself quickly when wet.

Uses
1. Dry the wizard after falling into a lake.
2. Clean oneself after getting something dirty.
3. Create a small light(candle)

Well these are my main uses, but there are tons of others that escape me at the moment.

Al

First Post
From Tome & Blood's article 'Fun with Prestidigitation':

Change - Transform an object of Fine size into another one.
e.g. Change a piece of paper into a rose.

Chill - Reduce an object's temperature by 40F (but not below freezing)

Clean - Self-explanatory

Color - Self-explanatory

Dampen - Self-explanatory

Dirty - Self-explanatory

Dry - Self-explanatory

Firefinger - Ignite combustile materials, can light a torch as a standard action (rather than a full-round), light campfires etc.

Flavor - Self-explanatory

Gather - Pick up e.g. coins from a selected area

Polish - Self-explanatory

Sketch - Self-explanatory. Very useful when trying to make artistic impressions of people when you have no ranks in Craft (painting)!

Stitch - Self-explanatory

Tie - Self-explanatory. Counts as taking 10 on Use Rope, but far quicker and can be done at distance.

Warm - Increase temperature of object by 40F, but not above 140F.

Presumably the reverse of these are also possible (e.g. Untie).

They are remarkably handy at low-levels. I remember once we had to infiltrate a bar which we thought was a front for a thieves' guild, so the party wizard got a job 'flavouring' the food (using Prestidigitation) for the customers. It enabled him to talk to the owners, and get plenty of gossip. Handy spell, if used intelligently.

Oni

First Post
Not sure how useful but the most memorable use I've gotten out of prestidigitation was when one party member tricked another one into eating an extremely hot pepper. The one who was tricked lost his temper and not knowing who did it tried to force feed the thing to the tavern manager. Using a stilled, silenced prestidigitation my sorcerer made the pepper taste bland.

Well I guess thats not all that useful in a dungeon, I think in that kind of environment the only really helpful thing I've done with it was clearing a path up some treacherously slick, blood covered steps (they where edged on one side by quite a drop).

jerichothebard

First Post
Prestidigitation actually saved my character's life once. We were in a large dwarvin underground city, and (to make a long story short) I wound up seperated from the party. I used prestidigitation's 'color' application to leave (bright purple) directions for my party on where to come rescue me.

Rescue is, by the way, the correct word to use for that particular situation.

*sigh*

my gnome is reckless enough to qualify as an honorary halfling.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hygric said:
I'm going to badger my DM tomorrow to let my wizard permanency it on himself. Somehow, the idea of a 12th level wizard that can only do minor cantrips for 4 hours each day just doesn't feel right.

You know, if you REALLY wanted it for longer, you could spend some of your other spell slots on preparing it... :D

MarauderX

Explorer
For my bard, it's gonna have some uses in entertaining his way out of some situations soon. I think of it also as the 'pull the rabbit from the hat trick' to "teleport" an item out of sight, ie Willow.

It also makes you look super-cool when you can light your finger on fire to ignite something and then blow it out western-style while winking at the ladies...

I think it could also easily lend to a +2 circumstance bonus to diplomancy (that guy with the cool magic, I wish I was his friend!) or bluff ("I know you can't read the language, but this signature at the bottom is from the high elf Lotisymal")

The disappearing coin trick didn't work too well in stopping an inter-party fight (confusion) with the party fighter & cleric yesterday, but at least they both had a common dislike that brought them together - the new bard.

Remove ads