The Nature of the Resistance in Star Wars The Force Awakens

Water Bob

Adventurer
There is speculation about the nature of the Resistance in the film and the Republic (is it now called an Alliance--I forgot)? I'm listening to the new canon book, the first of a trilogy, called Aftermath. It is set, at least this first book is, right after Return of the Jedi. Yes, much of the galaxy is still ruled by what's left of the Empire, but that Empire is on shaky ground. The worlds controlled by the Rebels continue to grow after Palpatine's and Vader's deaths, at the expense of the territory controlled by the Empire. Plus, there is a lot of infighting going on in the Empire as various ambitious "middle management" scramble to fill the power vacuum left by the Emperor. The old Empire is splintered, barely hanging on by a thread, as Moffs and Admirals and Generals strive to solidify their own power at the expense of others.

Mon Mothma, at the first Alliance Senate session--the first since the Galactic Senate was dismantled in A New Hope--proposes to reduce the Republic forces by 90%. Her advisers urge her not to make this proposal, saying that it is too early. But, Mothma, as the Republic Senate Chancellor, is determined to show the galaxy that the Rebels were not just a mob hungry for a power grab. She doesn't want member worlds to feel as if the new Republic is just the old Empire with new leadership. The Old Republic was not militarized--not until Palpatine enacted the measure during Attack of the Clones--and, Mothma wants the new Republic to attract worlds based on the promise of democracy. Her plan is to keep 10% of the former forces as a peace-keeping arm of the Republic (since the Jedi are now pretty much extinct), but to also train member worlds to grow their own world-based defense forces.

This is her political face.

Her practical face is to use the existing Rebel Alliance as a separate entity not sanctioned by the new Republic. It's her way of having her cake and eating it too. The Rebels still exist as a unified organization--they're just not an official Republic body.

I think this is pretty cool.

So, the Resistance that we see in the film is the Rebel body, 30 years later. The Republic (or Alliance...damn, I can't remember how it was called in the film) is the true government without a strong military force--not unlike the Old Republic shown in The Phantom Menace.

In the movie, we see, of course, the Republic capital be destroyed.

One other thing about the scene in the book--Mon Mothma's advisors advise her not to make this move. They argue that a strong Republic is needed, with a strong military, if the threat of the Empire is ever going to be eliminated. One of her advisers says that, without the strong military, that the conflict with the Empire will just be prolonged. A lot of smaller world forces will translate into a lot of small skirmishes, allowing the Empire to avoid being snuffed out.

And I think the film bears that out. It's 30 years later, and the two sides are still fighting.

Was that a good move on Mon Mothma's part?

There are pundits supporting both views. Mon Mothma had a Galactic Republic to rebuild while many would risk the nature of the New Republic in the face of eliminating the remnant of the Empire.

I love this Star Wars political stuff.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Chancellor Mothma,

I must advise against the course of action you have proposed.
I will point out the primary galacto-political difference between the Old Republic and the New Republic: the New Republic faces an enemy which is its equal in economic and military and social organization. The Old Republic was nearly a 'universal state'; it controlled almost everywhere and enforced a peace among all its worlds. The space which was not encompassed by the Old Republic was split many ways among a multitude of splinter-states, none of which (or many allied together) could not match the Old Republic's resources. We, by contrast, find ourselves one of several Imperial Successor States; and you surely realize that ALL of them aspire to accomplish what the Old Republic had achieved. In this endeavor There Can Be Only One. The Empire was not shy about using naked force to accomplish its goals, and its deliberate inheritors will continue in that tradition. This especially includes using force against the New Republic (and its interests), to accomplish some measure of revenge if nothing else.
When the freedom-loving people of the Galaxy had no ability to project their own use of force, Emperor Palpatine could do as he will. Only with the accumulation of military power could the Rebel Alliance effectively oppose the Emperor. You now propose to re-create that helpless state of affairs. Or nearly so; as you should remember - the Death Star's career comes to mind - in war perceptions matter also, and the perception of being unable to protect those who flock to your banner will serve to persuade waffling neutrals to move away from our side.

In conclusion, I believe that your proposal will serve to drag the Galaxy into a long-term military stalemate that can only result in needless bloodshed. I request that you reconsider.

Sincerely,

Senator Eltab

ccs

41st lv DM
Was that a good move on Mon Mothma's part.

No, it's just more (all-new, all-different) EU crap storytelling.
The reasoning is idiotic both in both the story & the real world.
The only angle it makes sense from is marketing. Disney wants to sell you a novel series explaining the backstory of the movie.

Water Bob

Adventurer
No, it's just more (all-new, all-different) EU crap storytelling.
The reasoning is idiotic both in both the story & the real world.
The only angle it makes sense from is marketing. Disney wants to sell you a novel series explaining the backstory of the movie.

Wow. Breakfast cereal have a little twang in it this morning?

ccs

41st lv DM
Wow. Breakfast cereal have a little twang in it this morning?

No, it has nothing to do with today's breakfast. It's my general opinion of the novels. Has been for decades.
Yes, there's a few decent ones. But the crap far outweighs the good. I was glad when they announced they were purging the EU. Though I knew they'd just replace it with their own version. Nor did I have any expectation that the quality would improve. It'd just be new. And I was right.
And in another 20 years? This'll still be my opinion of the novels.

Water Bob

Adventurer
No, it has nothing to do with today's breakfast. It's my general opinion of the novels. Has been for decades.
Yes, there's a few decent ones. But the crap far outweighs the good. I was glad when they announced they were purging the EU. Though I knew they'd just replace it with their own version. Nor did I have any expectation that the quality would improve. It'd just be new. And I was right.
And in another 20 years? This'll still be my opinion of the novels.

I just finished listening to Darth Plagueis, by James Luceno, and it's AMAZING. It's a FANTASTIC read (er...listen). This one book actually makes the prequels more enjoyable to watch.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just finished listening to Darth Plagueis, by James Luceno, and it's AMAZING. It's a FANTASTIC read (er...listen). This one book actually makes the prequels more enjoyable to watch.

Interesting. I just read it, and struggled with it. Finished it though.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Interesting. I just read it, and struggled with it. Finished it though.

Really. Wow. That certainly is not the consensus among the 772 reviews on Amazon (giving it an average 4.5 out of 5). As I said above, I thought the book was brilliant--probably the best Star Wars book I've ever read.

I loved so many things about it. I like how it shows how hard it is to recruit a Sith. Darth Vader's journey took over a decade. In this book, we see how others were turned to the Dark Side, Palpatine among them.

I loved how he allows for midichorians but still keeps the mystery in the Force. The Force is still fascinating with lots of unknown.

And, I loved the long-term, multi-year scheming on the part of Plagueis and Palpatine. The part of the Trade Federation is illuminated. We see how the Galactic Banking Clan has its fingers deep into behind-the-scenes Galactic Politics. We see how Repulic slowly starts to be eaten from the inside out--truly the seeds of the Republic's fall.

When Palpatine wipes out his entire family--wow. I was blown away. What a scene.

It's just a great book, imo.

Remove ads