My issues with the Force Awakens (Spoilers)

You mean like Luke did in ANH, when he blew up the Death Star?

I think what happened with her was different but still think it was cool. I've never seen a star wars character who did what she did so suddenly. But rather than find that irritating, I find it intriguing because it suggests there is some unusual process at work here. So she is either some really super force sensitive person who figured it out, that knowledge was somehow pre-existing in her or planted by someone (say a master Jedi who used something like a map as a means of sneaking in an ancient Jedi manual) or this whole awakening thing is something very specific and new that they will explain in the upcoming films. Either way, by having her so suddenly connect with her force powers, that pretty much ensured I will stick around for the next film.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I think what happened with her was different but still think it was cool. I've never seen a star wars character who did what she did so suddenly. But rather than find that irritating, I find it intriguing because it suggests there is some unusual process at work here. So she is either some really super force sensitive person who figured it out, that knowledge was somehow pre-existing in her or planted by someone (say a master Jedi who used something like a map as a means of sneaking in an ancient Jedi manual) or this whole awakening thing is something very specific and new that they will explain in the upcoming films. Either way, by having her so suddenly connect with her force powers, that pretty much ensured I will stick around for the next film.

I found what she did to be on par with what Luke did -- they both let the Force guide their actions. She also seems to be very adapt at monkey-see monkey-do. Having Kylo mind twist her led to her figuring out how to mind twist others. Seeing Kylo try to pull the saber to his hand let her mimic the effort and win. Fighting against Kylo, who was using the force as he was half trained, allowed her to figure out how to do that, too. It's almost like there's some kind of connection between Kylo and Rei.

I found what she did to be on par with what Luke did -- they both let the Force guide their actions. She also seems to be very adapt at monkey-see monkey-do. Having Kylo mind twist her led to her figuring out how to mind twist others. Seeing Kylo try to pull the saber to his hand let her mimic the effort and win. Fighting against Kylo, who was using the force as he was half trained, allowed her to figure out how to do that, too. It's almost like there's some kind of connection between Kylo and Rei.

You might be right but I still think there is a difference and it was a deliberate choice by the writers. It took luke the whole movie to get to that point, under Ben's careful instruction. Luke evolved like a student evolves. But what happened with Rey (both in the starkiller base and when she touched the light saber) seemed like sudden mystic insight to me. I don't think sudden mystic insight is at all bad in a film about mystical warriors, but I do think it is different enough from what seemed to be the case with Luke that it is going to be explored more in the next film.

I certainly think there is a connection between her and Kylo (probably brother and sister but who knows, they could be misdirecting us on purpose). But there was also a connection between her and that saber (and they've confirmed that was McGregor's voice during the flash back sequence). The most plausible theory I've heard is that she is both a Kenobi and a Skywalker. I think that would help explain a lot.

Also in wuxia there is a plot device where masters can impart their Kung Fu onto students by touching their forehead and transmitting the techniques (even giving them their internal energy). That might be too left field, but I do wonder if maybe something like that didn't happen when she either touched the light saber or when she had her interaction with Kylo.

Remove ads