My issues with the Force Awakens (Spoilers)

Snoke is Boba Fett. His scarring is from the Sarlacc; he's spent the last 30 years studying the Dark Side after his escape, with a desire to extract his revenge on the Rebel Scum (tm) who disfigured him.

MarkB

Legend
Actually, the 'new' X-Wing design isn't new, It's based on an early X-Wing artist's impression from the production of Episode IV. I'm posting from my mobile right now, but I'll look for a link when I get home.

MarkB

Legend
Ralph McQuarrie was the artist (scroll down to the X-Wing pics - and there's one with semicircular "intakes" very much like the T-70's):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_by_Ralph_McQuarrie
Thanks, yeah, that's the image I was thinking of.

latest

I take Death Star Mk III as being a metaphor for people who people/politicians who go on thinking that their way will ultimately work, no matter how flawed it has been shown to be, if only they can get enough money/power/prestige behind it. The Empire/The First Order is going to continue making bigger and more powerful weapons, because they simply can't see it's a flawed strategy.

Except they actually used it on their intended target and destroyed The Republic. Had Hux had his way from the start they probably would have wiped the resistance as well. From their point of view, the problem wasn't the base, it was wasting time by not just firing the thing right away. Clearly, for plot purposes these things have overly easy to hit weak points. So beefing defenses around those areas (and having some kind of system in place for containing the reaction when those sections fail) would be logical. But it is a movie.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Except they actually used it on their intended target and destroyed The Republic. Had Hux had his way from the start they probably would have wiped the resistance as well. From their point of view, the problem wasn't the base, it was wasting time by not just firing the thing right away. Clearly, for plot purposes these things have overly easy to hit weak points. So beefing defenses around those areas (and having some kind of system in place for containing the reaction when those sections fail) would be logical. But it is a movie.

I took away that Starkiller base was vulnerable in ways that the Death Star wasn't. The 1st Order seemed very reluctant to reveal the weapon without being in a strategically strong position. In movie, their target wasn't just the new Senate, but the Alliance fleet. Leia (I think) even mentions the difficulty of taking on Starkiller without the fleet -- implying that Starkiller would be vunerable to fleet action. This makes sense, as it is a planet, and the 1st Order could not cover the thing in capital class weapons to be invulnerable from all angles. A fleet could probably bombard the weapon into unusability in short order, even with the shield (and it's unlikely that the shield would cover the whole planet, anyway, leading to a Hoth style landing force).

So, the Starkiller HAD to remove the immediately response threat of the Alliance fleet in it's first shot. The motivation to end the Senate was also to cause the Resistance to reveal itself, allowing for an immediate recharge/firing to end the Resistance, the only other group likely to be able to get a fleet response (by borrowing from other planets) to engage the Starkiller. The only way that the use of the Starkiller (keeping it secret until a surprise attack could be successful) works is if it's vulnerable.

Which brings me to my only issues with the movie -- so much of this could have been resolved with a few seconds of dialogue here and there. I think they left too much on the cutting room floor that explains the world we're shown a bit better. I don't expect them to do all of the work, but a little more would have been nice.

That and the visible destruction of the Hosnian system from seemingly everywhere. Although I did see that the continuity guy for SW tweeted that Starkiller's weapon essentially rips a hole in spacetime for it's FTL shot, and the side effect of that was that the effects of the weapon were visible through that hole to a large chunk of the nearby galaxy. That would be a cool explanation, too bad it wasn't in the movie (a trivially inserted line or two in the Resistance command bunker would have done the work).

Mallus

Legend
[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] just summed up my biggest criticism of TFA, and Abrams films in general. He streamlines a bit too much. He's got a knack for making 2 hour movies that feel like they cover 1 hour of in-story time. A few additional lines of dialog, a few slightly extended and/or additional scenes would help (a lot).

That said, I can't wait to see it again. For a film that approaches remake/reboot status, I amazed at how different it felt from Star Wars, thanks to all the humor and the super-appealing dual protagonists.

[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] just summed up my biggest criticism of TFA, and Abrams films in general. He streamlines a bit too much. He's got a knack for making 2 hour movies that feel like they cover 1 hour of in-story time. A few additional lines of dialog, a few slightly extended and/or additional scenes would help (a lot).

That said, I can't wait to see it again. For a film that approaches remake/reboot status, I amazed at how different it felt from Star Wars, thanks to all the humor and the super-appealing dual protagonists.

To be fair, the film clocks in at 2 hours and fifteen minutes so by current standards, it is pretty long film. I wouldn't object to a two and a half to three hour film, and I think it would have been engaging to get more dialogue in there, but I can see why they went with the run time they did.

Vagabond234

First Post
Agree with issues 1 and 2 plus hate how Rey just knew how to use the force without any training. I love the training scenes! We need more of them but we'll probably get them in the next film.

Remove ads