D&D 5E DM's Guild - Adventure Format: one shot or longer

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
Over the weekend I spent a considerable chunk of time thinking about one shot adventures that are over and done with in a night and it's actually more difficult than a multi-evening adventure. Unless it's a pure throw combat at the PCs deal, it's hard to tell any sort of story in one night. Still wondering if I should continue to try to make that, as that's what they were looking for, or if I should just say screw it and publish whole modules.

Thoughts?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Over the weekend I spent a considerable chunk of time thinking about one shot adventures that are over and done with in a night and it's actually more difficult than a multi-evening adventure. Unless it's a pure throw combat at the PCs deal, it's hard to tell any sort of story in one night.

Not necessarily. For example, there is this one page adventure that is more story driven than combat driven (although it does have combat). And if you search by one page adventures, there are tons there available.

So the real question is, "Can you fit into one page what you want to include in the adventure?" If not, then go with multi session modules. I would advise *not* taking out core aspects of your idea just to fit onto one page or one session. It will be noticed. Unless it fits naturally, then the better route is probably to make a larger adventure.

Will Doyle

Explorer
Over the weekend I spent a considerable chunk of time thinking about one shot adventures that are over and done with in a night and it's actually more difficult than a multi-evening adventure. Unless it's a pure throw combat at the PCs deal, it's hard to tell any sort of story in one night.

Just keep it simple. One of my favourite adventures of all time is easily playable in two or three hours: Night of Blood, for WFRP. The group arrives at a coaching inn. Mutants have murdered the staff, and tied the guests up in the cellar. The mutants are posing as the staff. It's creepy, usually ends in a big scrap, and can be approached in all manner of ways.

Rather than tell a story, try presenting a compelling situation in a confined area.

delericho

Legend
Unless it's a pure throw combat at the PCs deal, it's hard to tell any sort of story in one night.

My experience is that if you treat your 4-hour game session as equivalent to a 45-minute TV show episode it can work very well.

Still wondering if I should continue to try to make that, as that's what they were looking for, or if I should just say screw it and publish whole modules.

You should write whatever interests you more. If you're more comfortable doing full-blown modules, you'll most likely to a better job writing those... so you should write those.

Remove ads