Favorite One Shots You Have Played or Run

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It has been years since I've run a one-shot but one-shots are all I play. But, by far, my favorite one shots to either run or play are sessions of InSPECTREs. I'm not aware of any published adventures for InSPECTREs, it is an improv heavy game and not for everyone, but with the right group who are into it, its a blast for beer & pretzels small party game.

On the other end of the spectrum, standouts include a the first game of Dialect I played at a local con. But all Dialect games are one shots. With the right group, it can be a very moving session.

Alice is Missing was another standout. For me it is a one-shot game. People replay it but the impact is never the same after the first time. I don't consider it particularly replayable as a player. Though running new groups of players through it would be fun.

The first DCC funnel that an old friend of mine ran years ago also stands out and turned me onto DCC and also impacted how I start some of my 5e campaigns.

Lastly, to help familiarize myself with the rules and a the game system for Foundry, and to get to play with my son (rather than one of us running a game), I did a paid one-shot of Warhammer Fantasy. The DM was fantastic and really captured what was best about Warhammer Fantasy. The only character that walked away from it was my son's beggar character. The troll slayer, wizard, and cleric all died with the beggar making some good rolls in the nail-biting final battle. Warhammer, man, gritty fantasy done right.

But, by far, my favorite one shots to either run or play are sessions of InSPECTREs. I'm not aware of any published adventures for InSPECTREs, it is an improv heavy game and not for everyone, but with the right group who are into it, its a blast for beer & pretzels small party game.
I've only played InSPECTREs once but it was a terrific session. I can see why you like it so much. Deserves more love.

Remove ads