D&D 5E Dungeon Master's Guild: The Long Term

DM Howard

Explorer
it's really hard to get reviews on DTRPG etc. EN Publishing has some 300 products on the sites, and sells hundreds of items a month, and the last person to leave a comment was in October 2015. I think we average maybe a comment every two months, and that only because Endzeitgeist leaves reviews there for our ZEITGEIST adventure path. I'm not sure why that is - I know DTRPG actively sends emails to folks asking them to review stuff they downloaded recently - but customers don't tend to comment unless you've annoyed them in some way.
I have never once gotten an e-mail from DTRPG asking for me to review a product. If that is a tick-box feature then it should be on by default.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Incentivising creators is never a bad idea. For every idea that would have been free but is now paid, there will be a large number that never would have been made without the incentive to make money off of it.

And the people creating these things deserve to be paid for their hard work (considering the product is worth the price they put on it).

A similar line of reasoning, fearing what would happen when the contributions of the community will be locked behind a paywall, ended Valve's and Bethesda's effort to bring about a way to charge for your mods with their game Skyrim. The community disliked it (and reacted aggressively) because they didn't want to have to pay for what have always been free. I think it was short sighted, a slap in the face of the actual people that make mods, and I feel like Skyrim modding (and other modding communities that followed suit) would have thrived with high quality mods.

I think both the new OGL and the Dungeon Masters Guild is going to do a lot of good for the community, a community that needs another boom. When deciding what's best for people that make contributions to this hobby, the people I would always ask are the people that actually make stuff. And I'm betting most of them are very happy about the OGL and the DMGuild.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm unsure the App store is an appropriate model for what is happening because of the differences in volume. With the hundreds of millions of potential customers, making $0.20 per app works. With tens of thousands of potential customers, you need more profit per sale. Sure, that could be 8 page PDFs with minimal art as low cost, but it's not likely to be sizable items.

I'm not saying it won't have sizable items, I'm saying the the app store isn't the model to use when thinking about it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm unsure the App store is an appropriate model for what is happening because of the differences in volume. With the hundreds of millions of potential customers, making $0.20 per app works. With tens of thousands of potential customers, you need more profit per sale. Sure, that could be 8 page PDFs with minimal art as low cost, but it's not likely to be sizable items.

I'm not saying it won't have sizable items, I'm saying the the app store isn't the model to use when thinking about it.

That's an odd statement to make.

Awesome Adam

First Post
One has user contributed digital content, free to charge what they want, customer reviewed, and the hosting site takes a cut.

The other has user contributed digital content, free to charge what they want, customer reviewed, and the hosting site takes a cut.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That's an odd statement to make.

I think the DMsG has a lot of potential. I also think that ENWorld attracts many people who are potential authors and potential buyers. I'd like to see people publish, but if they try to treat it like the app store which handles such a different volume I think they are going to be disappointed. The app store is full of low price, moderate cost to develop apps and it makes up for the low margin with volume. I don't think that works with the DMsG. And if it's not going to be just amateur content done for the love of the game, if we are going to see more professional grade content with editing, art, and length, I'd rather that we don't start to think of it ass the $0.99 app store, but something more akin to the current RPG stores that have lower volume and charge a fair price for a good product.

Does that better explain my statement? I'm sure you have a better view into this than I, am I just missing something?

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
What I'm saying is that moving things that would previously have been free to this channel is going to have negative opportunity costs to the community, and Idon't think that cost is worth the individual benefits and WotC's profiting. One of the reasons that D&D has been a success over the years is that you can get many hours of fun from every dollar spent. The more we monitize and pull value here, there and everywhere, the more we hurt that strength of the game.

Except that's completely wrong. With DMG authors are given free reign and complete license to use any and all FR/5E materiel. That is not true of OGL/SRD. So your free exchange of ideas wouldn't happen in any case. We're being given license to create anything we want with their proprietary intellectual property. The catch is that it can only be published/sold on DMs Guild. That's a price I'm more than willing to pay.

dave2008

Legend
Who gets what money and why they get it wasn't my point... but the focus on it does demonstrate part of my point. People that would have freely shared their materials before now will look to make money off it, reducing the number of people that benefit from their creation.

It also possible that people who would not have shared their ideas at all, are now willing to because they might make a little money. And judging but the content I've seen on the DMs Guild that seems to be the case, or a least it has given me a place to easily find all these cool ideas.

Last edited:

Remove ads