Short Term Fun versus Long Term Fun

Reynard

Legend
Just musing here:

In the context of TTRPGs, I think there are concessions one has to make -- rules, playstyle, and real world logistical -- to enable long term fun, sometimes at the expense of immediate or short term fun. I run a lot of "short term fun" games in the form of "convention campaigns" (three to 5 connected sessions over the course of one convention weekend). It works really well for the purpose I have, and it gives a sense of the fun of a long campaign compressed into a weekend, but in reality those games aren't very much like long term campaigns in practice.

For example, I eschew most forms of downtime in short term games. it just isn't an efficient use of time in that context. But, I think downtime is a key component to a satisfying long term campaign and contributes heavily to long term fun. The same goes for what I call "casual roleplay" -- that is, chatting up the shop owner or the bartender, taking the time to inhabit your character outside of the quest, etc... Not that short term fun doesn't include roleplaying, but that roleplaying is usually focused on the events at hand. In a long term campaign, those casual roleplay moments add depth to the experience and also can inspire play related to those otherwise "unimportant" NPCs.

Even advancement matters in relation. Sometimes in short term fun, there is no advancement. Events are happening quickly enough that "leveling up" just doesn't make sense, or might even inhibit play because learning new abilities etc... can slow play down. Or, it can happen rapidly. I did this in my recent Shadowdark con campaign where I leveled up the pregens between each of the sessions. In a long term campaign, I don't think either approach works great. I think long term fun needs steady progression of some kind (even if it is just diegetic -- DRINK) but too much too quickly undermines a long term campaign.

I could go on, but instead I will ask you: how do you handle long term fun versus short term fun? When you plan a game to be relatively short, do you do so differently than if you plan a game to last a long time? How does this interact with system, versus logistics, versus playstyle preferences? And does the choice impact your prep or what kind of pre-published materials you expect to use in play? For that matter, how do you view long term fun versus short term fun as a player, rather than a GM?

Thanks.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
It depends on what the group enjoys. I have a pretty high tolerance for passive GMing if the players like the fluff. But A GM should have the right to be able to frame scenes to get to interesting stuff as quickly as possible, if it suits their play style and it's disclosed.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Personally, I'm all about the long term fun. Keep that rolling, and the short-term here-and-now fun will often take care of itself.

The few times I've run one-shot games it's been different, of course, but those aren't usually campaigns so much as they are a good excuse to roll some dice and drink a bunch o' beer. :)

Reynard

Legend
Personally, I'm all about the long term fun. Keep that rolling, and the short-term here-and-now fun will often take care of itself.

The few times I've run one-shot games it's been different, of course, but those aren't usually campaigns so much as they are a good excuse to roll some dice and drink a bunch o' beer. :)
Wait, do you not drink beer when playing a long term game?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I like one shots a lot and usually they are pretty focused experience. As OP mentions, this usually means dispensing with small talk and PC wandering.

I also like long term campaigns, both focused, and player driven non-linear. These obviously allow more player browsing and breathing room for pace.

I’m able to set my expectations according to style and pace. I am very picky about who I play long term campaigns with as I find play style is most important there.

aco175

Legend
I tend to plan my campaigns in short arcs that last 3-5 levels and that they might tie into something larger if the game goes that long. Most of the campaigns last into the 10-14 level range. I like to give the freedom to range about and talk to the NPCs and such, but they like to skip most of this and get onto the dungeon. We end up handwaving a lot of stuff like buying goods and just cross of gold.

Remove ads