D&D 5E Is Curse of Strahd the first wotc's adventure?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Well, we all know that previous adventures were produced/written by other companies than wizards.I couldn't figured out which company wrote CoS, so I assume wotc didn't has help with that.Is that correct? What do you think about?Which reasons do you think they changed the way they were producing adventures?Does that have something to do with the lack of time at the start of this edition, since they were busy with the core rulebooks?Do you believe they will stop using other companies with their products?Just curiosity

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Chris Perkins wrote it, with consultation from Tracey and Linda Hickman, who wrote the original Ravenloft. So I believe it is the first directly produced by them.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If Tracy and Laura Hickman were a company and had wanted to write it, then I wouldn't have been surprised if their company had written Curse of Strahd (with Perkins and WotC helping in the background like they did on the first three APs). But since the two of them aren't a "game company", plus because it sounds as though parts of the book will be direct adaptation of I6 (thereby reducing the amount of "new" stuff needing to be written) it just ended up being easier to have Perkins write/adapt it with idea assists from Tracy and Laura.

But I don't think we can gleam any conclusions about the way they do things going forward. The next AP might be written internally by the staff, or it might be sent out to another game company again, or it might get written by a complete freelancer this time? Who knows?

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day which way they go anyway.

delericho

Legend
It does definitely sound like it was done in-house, or at least using freelancers is the more traditional manner, rather than contracting to an outside company. Though how different those two are in practice is questionable. :)

But it's not really the first, even for 5e - don't forget "Lost Mine of Phandelver"! :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yes, all have involved outsiders--Rich Baker for Lost Mines--who are fairly prominent game designers, and mostly TSR/WotC alumni. But unlike the other free-standing adventures this was done just by WotC, well and the Hickmans.

I think this will be the pattern. Someone outside probably known to the gaming community will be involved each time.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Perkibs said in an interview they were going to be doing things this way, even bringing in people from outside gaming to consult and brainstorm stories, much like they did with the Hickmans for this.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Yes, weren't they supposed to be doing something with the Adventure Time guy? (Can't remember his name off the top of my head.) Or was that Out of the Abyss?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Rich Baker for Lost Mines
Where did you get this information? I don't see his name on the adventure, just a list of playtesters. In fact, I don't see a writer's name on any part of the Starter Set.

I'm not saying I think you're wrong, I'm just wondering where you found the credits.

Remove ads