D&D 5E [RAVENLOFT] [5e] Death House OOC

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thanks.

And yes, exactly! I didn't state it explicitly but I intended the curse to be responsible for Kasimir's survival. At least until it's his turn to descend into madness. Ooh, vow of celibacy; I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense and I like it. As for Abyssal, I sort of had the thought that he picked it up through demonic influence. If that doesn't work for IG then I can easily select another language. I'm not sure how widely known the curse would be but I'm fine if you want Wergil to have heard the story.

[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], I really like the dirty "down in the trenches" image. He's a nobleman, but he's covered in dirt and blood and gore. Pretty accurate for the time period I imagine him to be from. You've got him as CG, which I appreciate because a good-aligned party appeals to me at the moment, but I bet he could also easily be LN.

There are several subtle plays on pop culture going on in both the mechanics and background that I find amusing and cool. The Divergent reference with abnegation is one, but the background has this nifty ethic going on...a sort of Game of Thrones (the Hound) meets Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the manor house and the multi-generational curse) meets Jane Eyre romance (the love-hate relationship to the Labourdine curse). I think it hits exactly the right note for a Ravenloft campaign. Maybe we can work something out to tie Kasimir to Wergil to Girri? Girri is a geased agent of the Waterdeep court; perhaps the Court's taken an interest in investigating the Labourdine curse, either as leverage by which to gain advantage over Kasimir's family, or alternately with an eye toward hunting the witch (and/or her heirs) who cast the curse? Not that you necessarily want to actually be rid of the curse. It's a major part of Kasimir's makeup, after all. Just brainstorming here.

Also, I like the addition of Abyssal. I had Abyssal on Girri's sheet because it made sense to me that a gypsy fortune teller might dabble a little in the dark arts. I removed it, though, when I tightened her character concept to include the geas and the LG alignment. Gave her Halfling instead. But your taking Abyssal makes me think twice about that move. I'll look into adding it back.

A note on mechanics: I think Kasimir will be dual wielding a longsword and a handaxe? If so, then you're right, the handaxe damage goes at 1d6. If, however, you're dual wielding two handaxes, then the first will go at 1d6+3 and the second at 1d6. You probably already knew that. The only reason I mention it is because you've got two handaxes on Kasimir's character sheet, and I wasn't sure which weapons you planned to dual wield.

Finally, as always, you wow with me your ability to name creatively. Love the spelling of Curst. And then there are other good ones like Werlicht Isle, Labourdine, and Chattermir Wood. Where you get them, I'll never know, but I'm a fan.

Then again, it's entirely likely that Mr. Aldershot and Kasimir, both being woodsmen, would have met and formed a bond. [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION].

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate knowing that you like what I've done and it makes me realize that I need to express my appreciation of what others have done more often. Thanks.

I welcome connections between Kasimir and any of the other characters. It's been several days since I read Girri's background but perhaps Kasimir first encountered her when he approached the Crone to see if she knew of a way to break the curse?

Yes, I was planning on dual-wielding longsword and handaxe. He has two handaxes as part of his barbarian equipment. He'd wield the two handaxes only if something happened to his longsword.

As for names, I usually find a word that I like that has some tangential relationship to the effect I'm going for then twist it, e.g. Hound > Labrador > Labourdine.

Yavathol

Explorer
You may want to ask for a house rule since entering a rage and second weapon attack both use a bonus action - which makes no sense to me - what, are you too busy getting angry to hit someone? Always thought raging should be a no action like Tides of Chaos. .

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm fine with it the way it's written. The way I look at it, it takes a bit of time to work up that head of steam and while you're doing it you can't focus on too many other things.

Yavathol

Explorer
Yep, looks fine from a rules perspective, [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION]. I'm guessing you'll go college of Lore at 3rd level? :)

Thanks.

Re: College of Lore, haven't decided yet, but probably? I was toying with the idea of a custom college or a re-skinned College of Satire stripped of all the fool and jester references.

Lore doesn't really sing to me. I could probably make it work, though. For Girri, it's the most appropriate of the choices in the PHB.

Remove ads