D&D 5E Best Gish

brehobit

Explorer
There have been a few discussions about "best Gish" hidden in other threads, but given that I strongly prefer to play casters who can hold their own in melee, I thought it would be fun to see what folks prefer for their fighter/caster.

Without multiclassing, I'd say you've got the valor bard, the more martial clerics, the EK, and _maybe_ the ranger or paladin. Also the bladesinger. But I find the full casters are really, well, casters whose powers don't help with melee much and the non-full casters are barely casters at all. Valor bard and bladesinger are probably closest.

With multiclassing, I've two combinations I really like:
  • Barbarian 1, warlock X. Strong casting but with rage makes for a solid warrior. Various warlock spells help with melee (Armor of A with rage is gross for example). If you go with the bladelock (which is probably generally the weakest option) you get decent bonuses including that 2nd attack and (very late) a CHR bonus to damage. This one I've pushed STR over CHR and been mostly happy with that call as I largely play the character _as_ a barbarian with a few magical power (even at high level) rather than as a caster.
  • Paladin 2/bard X where you go bard of lore. This one doesn't play real well until probably 8th level where it really starts to rock (fireball and booming blade help a lot). Generally with a focus on CHR over STR, which sucks, but you can hope for some STR boosting item.

What do other Gish players prefer? What am I missing or what thoughts do you have?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Paladin 2/Undying Light Tomelock 3 is my personal preference right now, for the Charisma synergy. I'm also a big fan of Arcana cleric right now, because it can do a little bit of everything, and scales nicely from 1-20.

It really depends, but overall I'd have to give the prize to the Paladin of Devotion 9/Cthulock 2/Wild Sorc 9. He's only at 11th level so far (Pal 7/Sorc 4), and he was originally planned as a Paladin 6/Dragon Sorc 14 for flying, but he's been three times as good as I ever expected him to be. Extremely versatile in-combat and out. Plus I like his personality, not that you Internet readers care about that.

bid

First Post
Half-elf monk 5 / tomelock 3 - 8 16 16 8 13 14, AC16
Armor of shadow to dump Wis, hex to boost DPR. And you get 8 hp per level!

Half-elf swashbuckler 3 / draconic sorcerer 3 - 8 16 16 8 10 16, AC16
Only for the twin BB cheese. Again, 8 hp per level.

Half-elf swashbuckler 3 / valor bard 6 - 8 16 14 10 12 16, AC16
You get something like +8 init and you can dance in and out of range.

Wood elf EK 6 / cleric 3 - 10 16 14 10 16 8, AC16
- war = SS until your CD is used. Divine favor and spiritual weapon
- nature = shillelagh + spiritual weapon, swap Dex/Con.
- life = just because you can waste your slots on damage.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Warlock and paladin are the best 2 gishes.
Bard and Ranger round out the next tier IMO.
Eldritch Knight and arcane trickter and elemental monk round out the rest.

zaratan

First Post
later game I think is eldritch knight 11 or 12/ wild sorcerer rest. 5 or 6 Asi/feats

twin buffs, 3 attacks (4 with haste), than cast a spell (or booming blade) with the bonus action that the target/s will save with desadvantage and you still can subtract 1d4 from the result. plus wild magic is great in front line.

If you'll use only spells for buff, you can dump Cha and Int.

pali/sorc is great too. Auras are amazing, oath of ancients will protect you from wild magic, but you have less Asi/feat and no desadvantage in enemies saves (unless you burn 3 SP).

famousringo

First Post
later game I think is eldritch knight 11 or 12/ wild sorcerer rest. 5 or 6 Asi/feats

twin buffs, 3 attacks (4 with haste), than cast a spell (or booming blade) with the bonus action that the target/s will save with desadvantage and you still can subtract 1d4 from the result. plus wild magic is great in front line.

If you'll use only spells for buff, you can dump Cha and Int.

pali/sorc is great too. Auras are amazing, oath of ancients will protect you from wild magic, but you have less Asi/feat and no desadvantage in enemies saves (unless you burn 3 SP).

I like the idea of EK/Sorc, too, but it takes sooooo long to come online. You need to be 10th level just to get War Magic and Metamagic.

Then again, Twin Booming Blade + War Magic is much more dangerous than 3 attacks from a simple level 11 fighter, so I suppose it's fair.

brehobit

Explorer
I like the idea of EK/Sorc, too, but it takes sooooo long to come online. You need to be 10th level just to get War Magic and Metamagic.

Then again, Twin Booming Blade + War Magic is much more dangerous than 3 attacks from a simple level 11 fighter, so I suppose it's fair.

Holly cow. That's two booming blades and an extra attack, all with the same weapon. The only real problem is that the two booming blade attacks have to hit to different opponents. Which does slow it down.

Cool though.

Remove ads