D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

I have to say I would love to see a Ravenloft movie for Vampire of the Mists and the book does start off with Jander being in Waterdeep before going to Barovia.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
But that calls for at least a trilogy of movies, and they haven't yet had a single one that was worth a darn.

Demonstrate that you can make one, just one, decently, then think about longer franchises..

personally I'd give up on a movie in favour of a TV series, and live action Dragonlance would work there. We've already seen that TV budgets can cope with the required special effects and at least TV gives time to tell the story and correct any issues with writing between each episode.

Plus Game of Thrones and now Shannara have given the audience a taste for more in the genre

spin the movie off from the TV audience and yes even spin off into other worlds including Ravenloft

horacethegrey

First Post
I haven't read those comics, but John Rogers has done some good stuff. But when you've got an author, and another publisher, in the works, goodness only knows who has the rights to the details.
They are good. Real good. I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying them. Rogers has a good ear for dialogue and crafting humurous adventures. I think he really captured the feel of an actual roleplaying session of gamers playing these character without having to break the 4th wall. It's a shame IDW put this series on indefinite hiatus (it's canceled as far anyone is concerned). But as soon as I heard that the filmmakers were considering a Guardians of the Galaxy like tone, I immediately thought of this comic, as the characters are very similar to Starlord and his crew.

But the movie looks to be set in the Forgotten Realms and will probably feature a new party. My only request is that they don't make it like Rat Queens. I f***ing hate Rat Queens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Look at the top 20 movies in that list:

Most of them are based on wildly successful book franchises that are already well established with fans (LOTR, Harry Potter, Narnia).

The others are also books but also Disney films. Finally you have Thor which is already established by Marvel. DnD doesn't have that luxury.

How many people who saw Lord of the Rings do you think read the books first? Here's a hint: very few.

While less true of Harry Potter, there were still many who saw it without ever touching one of Rowling's books. Sherlock's fans read little Doyle. Little of the audience for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies reads Jane Austen. People watched the Avengers who have never owned an issue of Marvel comics. Most of the audience for HBO's Game of Thrones not only hasn't read the first book, most of them didn't even know it was a book when they started watching.

Sure, a recognizable property helps. But nearly everyone has heard of Dungeons & Dragons. They might not be able to tell you what it is exactly, but they've heard of it.

mflayermonk

First Post
I think the fact the product isn't very recognizable internationally is a huge challenge to overcome.
If you look at the big, successful franchises they all have some form of international, established market. Transformers, Potter, Lego, Marvel, were all recognizable overseas.

I think the movie will be:
A motley crew of five adventurers come together to save the land from evil. Just when all seems lost, they use the power of love to defeat the bad guy and restore peace to the land.

Ryujin

Legend
I think the fact the product isn't very recognizable internationally is a huge challenge to overcome.
If you look at the big, successful franchises they all have some form of international, established market. Transformers, Potter, Lego, Marvel, were all recognizable overseas.

I think the movie will be:
A motley crew of five adventurers come together to save the land from evil. Just when all seems lost, they use the power of love to defeat the bad guy and restore peace to the land.

Funny thing; that last could describe anything from the crappy D&D movies, up through GotG or The Fifth Element. (Yes, The Fifth Element used the tired "love is the most powerful force in the universe" trope.)

colinfit20

Explorer
Dnd movie premise?

You know I'd like someone to handle the premise of the Hobbit and LOTR and turn it on its head!

For example say you play on their expectations to hint at cliche villains before ripping the veil to reveal what's really going on and why your adventurers are the heroes I like the idea of adding humour, but do you think people can handle a shape changing female dragon playing the gandalf role?

Throw in a Saruman lich with a habit for turning cities into volcanic craters who starts off as the mysterious opening villain, reveal a shadowy cabal trying to rebuild an ancient and evil empire with plans to dominate the whole world but that involves enslaving the monster races... remember that shape changing female dragon?

Make the world a post apocalyptic version of our world, so we can throw in as many genre tropes and snarkisms but not turn it into the Merlin TV series from a few years ago!

Ryujin

Legend
You know I'd like someone to handle the premise of the Hobbit and LOTR and turn it on its head!

For example say you play on their expectations to hint at cliche villains before ripping the veil to reveal what's really going on and why your adventurers are the heroes I like the idea of adding humour, but do you think people can handle a shape changing female dragon playing the gandalf role?

Throw in a Saruman lich with a habit for turning cities into volcanic craters who starts off as the mysterious opening villain, reveal a shadowy cabal trying to rebuild an ancient and evil empire with plans to dominate the whole world but that involves enslaving the monster races... remember that shape changing female dragon?

Make the world a post apocalyptic version of our world, so we can throw in as many genre tropes and snarkisms but not turn it into the Merlin TV series from a few years ago!

"Shannara Chronicles" is already doing the post apocalyptic Earth thing. For a D&D movie or TV series I think that the "points of light" idea would work quite well. You're pretty much OK, usually (but not always) if you stay around the larger towns and cities, but going between them is an adventure in and of itself. That gives plenty of options for a storyline.

Maybe they should just throw out the idea of trying to avoid anachronistic comments all together and just go for it? Make a "Krod Mandoon" out of it but up the action, while easing up a bit on the comedy.

(Damn, I miss that show.)

colinfit20

Explorer
God I actually wanted a sci fi version of that using Traveller 2300's background having those 2 travelling on a small trade ship using their contacts to pay their way keeping the humour but using some of the game idea's for the series!

Remove ads

Remove ads