D&D:HAT references to other movies (SPOILERS)

I finally saw the D&D movie, and had a good time. The music was good the jokes were funny, the action was exciting. The first joke was cleverly done, and hooked me right away.

There is a piece of advice for new Dungeon Masters that I have seen: steal shamelessly from your favorite books, movies, and tv shows (etc.) when running your games.

I saw this advice demonstrated in the movie, with a lot of scenes being similar to that in other movies.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

1. The opening scene has a cage being transported to a secure facility, with armed guards ringing the cage with weapons drawn. You can’t see clearly what is in the cage. This is very similar to Jurassic Park’s opening scene.

2. At one point, the party travels to The Underdark, and wind up getting chased by an obese dragon, who rolls after them, reminding me of the boulder scene at the beginning of “Raiders of the Lost Ark”.

3. At the final battle, Doric, the Druid, wild shapes into an owlbear and thrashes the red wizard. It looks like the Hulk beating up Loki in “The Avengers”.

4. The Paladin, Zenk, does not acknowledge figures of speech, like Drax the Destroyer in “Guardians of the Galaxy”.

5. This one is a little bit if a stretch, but the scenes of Edgin and his wife reminded me of the opening scenes in “A Ghost Story”, with Casey Affleck, the movie where the lady spends 15 minutes eating a pie.

There are probably others.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
The 2 rust monsters fighting over scraps reminded me of something I've seen before but cannot quite remember from whence. Maybe it's quite a common backdrop.

The 2 rust monsters fighting over scraps reminded me of something I've seen before but cannot quite remember from whence. Maybe it's quite a common backdrop.
It's common to have two little goblins or something fighting over a thing. It's been in a lot of movies since it became reasonable to CGI stuff, and I'm pretty sure it was done with puppets in stuff like Labyrinthe before that.
1. The opening scene has a cage being transported to a secure facility, with armed guards ringing the cage with weapons drawn. You can’t see clearly what is in the cage. This is very similar to Jurassic Park’s opening scene.

2. At one point, the party travels to The Underdark, and wind up getting chased by an obese dragon, who rolls after them, reminding me of the boulder scene at the beginning of “Raiders of the Lost Ark”.

3. At the final battle, Doric, the Druid, wild shapes into an owlbear and thrashes the red wizard. It looks like the Hulk beating up Loki in “The Avengers”.

4. The Paladin, Zenk, does not acknowledge figures of speech, like Drax the Destroyer in “Guardians of the Galaxy”.

5. This one is a little bit if a stretch, but the scenes of Edgin and his wife reminded me of the opening scenes in “A Ghost Story”, with Casey Affleck, the movie where the lady spends 15 minutes eating a pie.
The only definite intentional ref I saw there was Hulk one. The others I think are just common visual concepts.

I felt the movie tended to steer clear of pop culture references. Which makes it different to my home game, which tends to be jammed full of them. Baldur's Gate CRPG has more pop culture references than you can shake a stick at.

It's mostly just using a shared palate of techniques as those other movies. The Hulk one is the only actual steal.

I thought of another one:
In “The Hudsucker Proxy”, at the first of the movie, a character leaps through the window on the 44th floor (not counting the mezzanine). Later in the movie, another character attempts to leap through the same window, but is thwarted; the window has been replaced with plexiglass.

In similar manner, Edgin tackles Jarnathan through a window in the tower as a means of escape. At the end, Forge attempts the same technique, only to find the window has been bricked closed.

Poor Jarnathan

Thought of another one: in “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” There is a scene of prisoners breaking rocks, while in DND:HAT, it’s prisoners breaking ice. Bonus reference with the main character trying to get home to his wife.

Remove ads