D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

OB1

Jedi Master
And the movie does INDEED give you a fake out in that regard: the one line when he's talking to Bug, after seeing Ed and Holga again after so many years, where he mentions that he thinks there might be "some" good in himself. Which DID had me thinking that later on, Forge would somehow follow up on that. And then the movie shows that no, Forge IS an absolute d-edited for concerns for the well-being of the children as per ToS guidelines. The Committe thanks you, dear reader, for reading up to this point.
This makes me think of an idea for the sequel. Holga and Edgen are captured by the Red Wizards, Doric, Bug and Simon go to rescue them, but need the help of Forge for the plan. They break him out of prison, he goes with them, then betrays them AGAIN once they get to Thay.

Weiley31

Legend
This makes me think of an idea for the sequel. Holga and Edgen are captured by the Red Wizards, Doric, Bug and Simon go to rescue them, but need the help of Forge for the plan. They break him out of prison, he goes with them, then betrays them AGAIN once they get to Thay.
Here's hoping poor Jarnathan calls out of work for the day when Forge gets ANOTHER parole board meeting.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
ENot sure how I forgot to mention Thumberchaud! The battle to escape him was both epic and hilarious. I can't wait to see how non D&D audiences react to him, so wonderfully off expectation for what a Dragon is. I weirdly got Baby Yoda vibes from him.
I think Themberchaud will be the breakout meme of the movie. He's both terrifying and hilarious. My wife isn't a super sci-fi/fantasy fan and she enjoyed pudgy dragon the most of everything in the movie.
Has anyone mentioned that for something that was stated as "not setting up a sequel" it absolutely set up a sequel? They established Szass Tam as a Palpatine-level Big Bad, and left it open.
They do, but Szass is and always has been one of the most powerful and dangerous villains in The Realms. Unless somebody (not Edgin and crew, not even with Xenk) can completely destroy him he's functionally unstoppable over the long term. Not even the heavy hitters like the Seven Sisters and Elminster have managed to completely stop Szass Tam. The character like an archmage and a lich, and completely controls Thay. In 4E he was a Level 30 Artillery monster, in 5E he'd probably work out to be something like a CR28 to CR30 monster with a host of legendary actions.

Edit: On "Black Elminster" if I'm remembering right, Szass Tam did the take over Thay bit in the mid-1370s DR. The movie takes place in in the mid to late 1490s based on the events and apparent ages of characters like Lord Nevember. Elminster was born in 212 DR, so as of the movie he's nearly 1300 years old. Simon's great-great-great-grandfather could be Elminster's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson. For some context, my greatx3 grandfather was born 1840s. Elminster would have been born when Vikings were still invading Anglo-Saxon England. And it isn't like the Elminster was chaste by any means, so there's lots and lots of time for Elminster to have lots and lots of descendants who don't share much with him in look department.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think Themberchaud will be the breakout meme of the movie. He's both terrifying and hilarious. My wife isn't a super sci-fi/fantasy fan and she enjoyed pudgy dragon the most of everything in the movie.

They do, but Szass is and always has been one of the most powerful and dangerous villains in The Realms. Unless somebody (not Edgin and crew, not even with Xenk) can completely destroy him he's functionally unstoppable over the long term. Not even the heavy hitters like the Seven Sisters and Elminster have managed to completely stop Szass Tam. The character like an archmage and a lich, and completely controls Thay. In 4E he was a Level 30 Artillery monster, in 5E he'd probably work out to be something like a CR28 to CR30 monster with a host of legendary actions.

Edit: On "Black Elminster" if I'm remembering right, Szass Tam did the take over Thay bit in the mid-1370s DR. The movie takes place in in the mid to late 1490s based on the events and apparent ages of characters like Lord Nevember. Elminster was born in 212 DR, so as of the movie he's nearly 1300 years old. Simon's great-great-great-grandfather could be Elminster's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson. For some context, my greatx3 grandfather was born 1840s. Elminster would have been born when Vikings were still invading Anglo-Saxon England. And it isn't like the Elminster was chaste by any means, so there's lots and lots of time for Elminster to have lots and lots of descendants who don't share much with him in look department.
Fair point.

I saw the film a second time this weekend with a friend who has no experience with D&D but has taken one or two film classes. She enjoyed it and had no trouble following the story. She was struck by how high-magic the world was and the quality of the special effects. Doric was her favorite character as she had such a visually cool power set. She wondered what it would be like to wildshape. Her favorite monster was "the panther with tentacles." I explained what a displacer beast was. As an African-American, she appreciated how representative the casting was. Her favorite story work was how Edgin realized Holga was effectively Kira's mother and resurrecting her was the best thing for his daughter, even though he loved his late wife.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I saw the film a second time this weekend with a friend who has no experience with D&D but has taken one or two film classes. She enjoyed it and had no trouble following the story. She was struck by how high-magic the world was and the quality of the special effects. Doric was her favorite character as she had such a visually cool power set. She wondered what it would be like to wildshape. Her favorite monster was "the panther with tentacles." I explained what a displacer beast was. As an African-American, she appreciated how representative the casting was. Her favorite story work was how Edgin realized Holga was effectively Kira's mother and resurrecting her was the best thing for his daughter, even though he loved his late wife.
That was a great moment at the end. I mean, as soon as you found out she was stabbed you knew immediately they were going to res her, but still a great moment.

Remove ads