D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Undrave

Legend
Indeed, the movie established the plan very well, and I even found the anti magic shackle item defined in the book of exalted deeds in 3.5.
what makes me laughing is thinking that we should have use it against the mighty casters much more and sooner in 5ed!
I would imagine it’s not something easy to do to someone who expects it, or someone with allies nearby. I also imagine that, due to their anti-magic nature, you can’t enchant them any further so they’re basically mundane shackles and could be defeated by the same means.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would imagine it’s not something easy to do to someone who expects it, or someone with allies nearby. I also imagine that, due to their anti-magic nature, you can’t enchant them any further so they’re basically mundane shackles and could be defeated by the same means.
For making them at scale, the best way to go would be finding some sort of (super)naturally occurring material that suppresses magic uses that could be forged into shackles. (Maybe something mined in a dead magic zone.) Otherwise, in the Forgotten Realms at least, you're unlikely to have enough shackles to slap them on every spellcaster you've got imprisoned.

Don’t worry the movie don’t ask such question!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I finally saw the D&D movie yesterday. I had the most fun while watching a movie in a theater in a long time. My theater was mostly empty, but the 10ish other people that were seeing it laughed regularly and everyone seemed to like it. It's disappointing that the movie isn't doing too well at the box office, hopefully merchandise sales are able to make up for that. I would love for there to be a sequel.

I finally saw the D&D movie yesterday. I had the most fun while watching a movie in a theater in a long time. My theater was mostly empty, but the 10ish other people that were seeing it laughed regularly and everyone seemed to like it. It's disappointing that the movie isn't doing too well at the box office, hopefully merchandise sales are able to make up for that. I would love for there to be a sequel.

I am happy and relieved they made a good movie. Based on both the critics' reviews and audience reviews, the large majority of people who saw D&DHAT enjoyed it. They created something I could see myself occasionally rewatching years later for fun. Sometimes good quality films don't find a mass audience (see Annihilation, Idiocracy, Fight Club, Blade Runner 2049, etc). Yet years later, many of these are regarded as classics or at least cult classics. I think a film as well-liked as D&DHAT will eventually find its audience.

bushmills

Villager
From our LARP group of about 60 players, many of whom also play D&D, many were in the movie. Only 3 friends liked it. So I'm not at all surprised that the film flopped. To pull up something like the MCU Phase1, it needs more than a fat dragon and potatoes. Well, maybe it will be better next time, but how many will still go to the movies? Honestly, we will probably wait 23 years again until the dust settles. Yes one will produce now also still another series etc., but if it is the same level, that will find also no large range. Most is produced nowadays anyway only so that you can fill his streaming services, quality often remains outside.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

I've heard Hasbro was involved in funding it.

They probably see it as an investment in their brand.

It has done alright and got favourable reviews so I think we will see a sequel.

Remove ads