D&D Movie/TV How to make characters like in Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
00-009.characters-splash.png

Hello, new players, coming here from Google after checking out PlayDND.com and wanting to make characters similar to the ones you saw in Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

As you might have seen, the official stats for the characters are for NPCs, not PCs, which use different rules.

If you, or someone you're playing with, wants to make characters that resemble Edgin or the rest of the main cast, here are my recommendations. (I'm a long-term DM, having played D&D since 1979, have been running a continuous campaign across various platforms and rulesets since 2006 and have been running the current edition of D&D -- fifth edition -- for several years now.) All of this is just my opinions, although I'm sure other people will chime in with their suggestions as well.

Where possible, I will recommend options that just need the Players Handbook, although note that your group can also buy individual subclasses or lineages on D&D Beyond if you don't want to spring for a whole book in digital form (and the cost of the individual pieces you buy will knock down the price of the rest of the book on D&D Beyond, so it's a safe way to try these options out.)

Mild movie spoilers follow.

Doric​

Doric is a Neutral Good tiefling druid with the Outlander background, all of which are options available through the Players Handbook.

In the movie, she uses the druidic ability of wildshape a lot, and you should expect to do so a lot less than she does until you gain some levels. Druids, like all other classes in D&D, specialize into a subclass as they level. The Circle of the Moon subclass is the one that focuses on amping up wildshape, so if that's what appeals to you, it's a good choice. (Other subclasses focus on other abilities that Doric doesn't use in the film, although if she were a player character in a D&D campaign, she'd be probably be using them.)

Note that owlbears are also not a standard option for player character druids to wildshape into (at the moment -- a rules update coming next year will almost certainly make it possible, because wildshaping into an owlbear is cool), so you will need to clear it with your Dungeon Master.

Edgin Darvis​

Edgin is a complicated case. Wizards of the Coast claims he's a bard but he doesn't do anything that suggests that he is in the movie. (Lots of people can play the lute, especially at the very OK level he does in the film.) He doesn't actually do anything other than be extremely charming in the movie, which means he's kind of a blank slate for making your own character.

I agree with him being a Chaotic Good human with the Spy or Entertainer background. You could either make him a bard and pick up the College of Lore subclass to focus on magic and the magical musical abilities (neither of which he uses in the film, but they're a great, fun choice in D&D games) or, what I'd do, make him a rogue. The three rogue subclasses in the Players Handbook -- thief, assassin and arcane trickster -- are all fun, but none of them is an exact match for the way he behaves in the movie.

If your group has access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, a supplement that expands player options, Edgin could also be a Mastermind (all those plans!), Swashbuckler (all that charm!) or Inquisitive rogue (to further investigating bad guys for the Harpers).

Any of the above choices will make for a very fun character, so it's hard to go wrong here.

Also, if you bonk someone with a lute in real life, you will break the lute. Ask your DM if you can have a reinforced lute that works like a club. I Dungeon Master for my dad, who made a similar request a while back, and it was an easy thing to agree to.

Forge Fitzwilliam​

Forge is a Neutral Evil human rogue with the Criminal or Charlatan background.

He's a straight-up criminal, so he can probably be best modeled with either the Mastermind or Thief subclasses. He's also played by Hugh Grant, who has a stupidly high Charisma in real life, so he'd also make an excellent Swashbuckler, although in the movie, Forge prefers others to fight on his behalf.

Holga Kilgore​

Holga is a Chaotic Good human barbarian, with an Outlander background.

She's from the Elk tribe, so the Path of the Totem Warrior is a good choice for her subclass, choosing the Elk option. But she's also a great combatant, and simmers with rage generally, so Path of the Berserker is also a good fit.

Simon Aumar​

Simon is a Chaotic Good half-elf sorcerer with the Wild Magic subclass and probably the Sage background. His spell dispenser is probably best modeled by calling it a fancy spell component pouch that releases the materials (like eye of newt and such) needed to cast his spells.

Wild Magic can cause spells to go wildly wrong, which can be entertaining, but also cause things to blow up or have completely wrong effects happen. If that doesn't sound good to you, the Players Handbook has the Draconic bloodline subclass (your magic is the result of a draconic ancestor in your past) that is less chaotic. Supplements add a bunch of other choices, too.

Sofina​

Sofina is a Neutral Evil wizard with the Sage background.

She appears human in the movie, but a big reveal in the final battle shows that she may actually be undead, so you can either choose to have your wizard be a human for her ancestry or, if your Dungeon Master allows it, you could pick up the Reborn or Dhamphir lineages from the Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft supplement, each of which turns a character into a flavor of undead. Reborn is a catch-all for anyone who's died but not yet passed on while Dhamphir is for various undead who feed on the living in different ways. It would be easy to imagine Sofina draining the life force or psychic energy of her victims. (Your group can purchase individual lineages piecemeal, just like buying individual subclasses from Xanathar's.)

In the movie, she specializes in necromancy -- the magic involving undead and life force -- which makes the necromancer subclass an obvious fit for her.

Xenk Yendar​

Finally, Xenk is a Lawful Good human paladin with the Folk Hero background and he probably follows the Oath of Devotion subclass, based on his rock solid moral convictions and experience fighting the undead. Paladins are extremely strong in fifth edition D&D, so your character will be a force to be reckoned with almost immediately.

I hope this guide helped and that it helps you get started playing a great game. Note these are just my suggestions, and I'm sure other ENWorld posters will have their own.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I think Rogue -> Mastermind is the best fit for Edgin. He doesn't do any magic or real "bardic inspiration", but he makes lots of plans and encourages his people. I think mastermind with expertise in persuasion is a good fit for that.

OB1

Jedi Master
I think Rogue -> Mastermind is the best fit for Edgin. He doesn't do any magic or real "bardic inspiration", but he makes lots of plans and encourages his people. I think mastermind with expertise in persuasion is a good fit for that.
Not sure I agree. Though not specifically called out, I saw a few situations where Edgen's charm may have come from a Friends or a Charm Person spell. His speeches to Simon before a couple of critical moments can also be seen as giving Bardic Inspiration. At the end of the day, a Bard is primarily defined by how they help the other members of their group succeed in a variety of ways, so if that sounds fun, definitely go with Bard (I would say College of Valor)!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
00-009.characters-splash.png

Hello, new players, coming here from Google after checking out PlayDND.com and wanting to make characters similar to the ones you saw in Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves.

As you might have seen, the official stats for the characters are for NPCs, not PCs, which use different rules.

If you, or someone you're playing with, wants to make characters that resemble Edgin or the rest of the main cast, here are my recommendations. (I'm a long-term DM, having played D&D since 1979, have been running a continuous campaign across various platforms and rulesets since 2006 and have been running the current edition of D&D -- fifth edition -- for several years now.) All of this is just my opinions, although I'm sure other people will chime in with their suggestions as well.

Where possible, I will recommend options that just need the Players Handbook, although note that your group can also buy individual subclasses on D&D Beyond if you don't want to spring for a whole book in digital form (and the cost of the individual pieces you buy will knock down the price of the rest of the book on D&D Beyond, so it's a safe way to try these options out.)

Mild movie spoilers follow.

Doric​

Doric is a Neutral Good tiefling druid with the Outlander background, all of which are options available through the Players Handbook.

In the movie, she uses the druidic ability of wildshape a lot, and you should expect to do so a lot less than she does until you gain some levels. Druids, like all other classes in D&D, acquire a subclass as they level. The Circle of the Moon subclass is the one that focuses on amping up wildshape, so if that's what appeals to you, it's a good choice. (Other subclasses focus on other abilities that Doric doesn't use in the film, although if she were a player character in a D&D campaign, she'd be probably be using them.)

Note that owlbears are also not a standard option for player character druids to wildshape into (at the moment -- a rules update coming next year will almost certainly make it possible, because wildshaping into an owlbear is cool), so you will need to clear it with your Dungeon Master.

Edgin Darvis​

Edgin is a complicated case. Wizards of the Coast claims he's a bard but he doesn't do anything that suggests that he is in the movie. (Lots of people can play the lute, especially at the very OK level he does in the film.) He doesn't actually do anything other than be extremely charming in the movie, which means he's kind of a blank slate for making your own character.

I agree with him being a Chaotic Good human with the Spy or Entertainer background. You could either make him a bard and pick up the College of Lore subclass to focus on magic and the magical musical abilities (neither of which he uses in the film, but they're a great, fun choice in D&D games) or, what I'd do, is make him a rogue. The three rogue subclasses in the Players Handbook -- thief, assassin and arcane trickster -- are all fun, but none of them is an exact match for the way he behaves in the movie.

If your group has access to Xanathar's Guide to Everything, a supplement that expands player options, Edgin could also be a Mastermind (all those plans!), Swashbuckler (all that charm!) or Inquisitive rogue (to further investigating bad guys for the Harpers).

Any of the above choices will make for a very fun character, so it's hard to go wrong here.

Forge Fitzwilliam​

Forge is a Neutral Evil human rogue with the Criminal or Charlatan background.

He's a straight-up criminal, so he can probably be best modeled with either the Mastermind or Thief subclasses. He's also played by Hugh Grant, who has a stupidly high Charisma in real life, so he's also make an excellent swashbuckler, although in the movie, Forge prefers others to fight on his behalf.

Holga Kilgore​

Holga is a Chaotic Good human barbarian, with an Outlander background.

She's from the Elk tribe, so the Path of the Totem Warrior is a good choice for her subclass, choosing the Elk option. But she's also a great combatant, and simmers with rage generally, so Path of the Berserker is also a good fit.

Simon Aumar​

Simon is a Chaotic Good half-elf sorcerer with the Wild Magic subclass and probably the Sage background. His spell dispenser is probably best modeled by calling it a fancy spell component pouch that releases the materials (like eye of newt and such) needed to cast his spells.

Wild Magic can cause spells to go wildly wrong, which can be entertaining, but also cause things to blow up or have completely wrong effects happen. If that doesn't sound good to you, the Players Handbook has a bunch of flavorful subclasses that are less chaotic.

Sofina​

Sofina is a Neutral Evil wizard with the Sage background.

She appears human in the movie, but a big reveal in the final battle shows that she may actually be undead, so you can either choose to have your wizard be a human for her ancestry or, if your Dungeon Master allows it, you could pick up the Reborn or Dhamphir lineages from the Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft supplement, each of which turns a character into a flavor of undead. Reborn is a catch-all for anyone who's died but not yet passed on while Dhamphir is for various undead who feed on the living in different ways. It would be easy to imagine Sofina draining the life force or psychic energy of her victims. (Your group can purchase individual lineages piecemeal, just like buying individual subclasses from Xanathar's.)

In the movie, she specializes in necromancy -- the magic involving undead and life force -- which makes the necromancer subclass an obvious fit for her.

Xenk Yendar​

Finally, Xenk is a Lawful Good human paladin with the Folk Hero background and he probably follows the Oath of Devotion subclass, based on his rock solid moral convictions and experience fighting the undead. Paladins are extremely strong in fifth edition D&D, so your character will be a force to be reckoned with almost immediately.

I hope this guide helped and that it helps you get started playing a great game. Note these are just my suggestions, and I'm sure other ENWorld posters will have their own.
Okay. The very first thing you do is pick a class. Then you pick one single thing the class can do, and that's all you do. Barbarians are only strong and rage. Druids only wild shape. Wizards only cast spells(he got the best deal, which is why they hamstrung him for most of the movie), and the rogue/bard can only sing. :)

I hope this guide helped and that it helps you get started playing a great game. Note these are just my suggestions, and I'm sure other ENWorld posters will have their own.​
Here's a conversation I had with a player in preparation for an upcoming Film Reroll of the movie:

GM: [blah blah blah]... Note: I'm also planning on giving Simon's speak-with-dead artifact to someone at the start of play, so you'll have the option to "follow the plot" if you want to. But the scenario is sandboxy enough that I feel like I don't need to control pacing that strictly. We're going to see "what would really happen" when you guys meet an evil wizard with Plans for treachery. It might be different from the movie.

Player: Okay, I'd love to see how you'd write up Holga in DF. I read over the character creation rules, but the 250 point system (or 300 because of flaws) is really intimidating. I think I understand it enough to play it, but not enough to create it very well.

GM: Okay, starting with this [DF Barbarian template screenshot redacted from EnWorld post for copyright reasons]

GM: And bearing in mind that a skill of 12 is "succeeds 75% of the time" and 16 is "succeeds 98% of the time",

GM: I'd pick the Two-handed Axe/Mace package because she likes axes, pick Throwing because that's what you use for round objects like potatoes, pick Climbing, Lifting, Gesture and Forced Entry because they seem plausible for her character and likely to be useful.

GM: For disadvantages, Ham Fisted 2 [-10] seems plausible (she's a lock-basher, not a lock-picker). Moderate Gluttony [-5] is consistent with observed behavior. Wealth: Struggling [-10] is also observed. Moderate Gullibility [-10] and Easy To Read [-10] and Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions) [-5] all seem to fit well enough.

GM: Quirks for 5 bonus points:

Loves potatoes.
Calls Kira her "bug."
Thinks halfling men with beards are cute.
Won't tolerate being mocked.
Exiled from clan Elk.

GM: I'd use those bonus points to bump Sumo Wrestling a.k.a. Slamtastic to 14 (she does a lot of it, and this gets her a damage bonus plus extra effectiveness), take Connoisseur (Weapons)-9 (because clearly she is into cool weapons), and save the last two points for advantages.

GM: If you're willing to modify her visuals a little, switching to Polearm instead of Two-handed Axe/Mace and wielding an axe-like polearm like a dueling glaive in one hand with a shield on the other arm would both keep her safer (shields are really useful) and also let her shield-rush people (basically using the shield as a battering ram, with bonus damage from her Sumo Wrestling). It's a somewhat more effective fighting style than she used in the movie but not necessarily a big change of character. Use the last quirk point to buy Shield-13.

GM: Hmmm, on second thought Wealth: Struggling makes the most sense for her before she takes up thievery with Edgin, and right after escaping from prison. If she's playing a Doomed Burglar then stick with that, otherwise maybe Short Attention span could work, or increasing Gullibility to severe levels.

GM: What equipment you buy depends on all of the above factors, but let's say you go with the polearm and shield strategy and severe Gullibility instead of low Wealth. In that case you spent all your Quirk points on skills and advantages instead of converting them to cash ($500/quirk point) so you have $1000 of equipment. (The GM will make sure you don't lose your equipment during the timeskip in prison BTW.)

GM: Heavy leather armor for $450/36 lb. and fur armor for $150/18 lb. both seem consistent with what she wears in the movie (honestly I'm not sure) so let's pick furs because they're lighter. We're trading less protection for mobility here. (You can, but don't have to, scavenge heavier armor during play.) A medium shield is $60/15 lb. A dueling glaive is $80/6 lb. That leaves $710 out of $1000 for personal basics, camping gear, etc., which is plenty. If you wanted to you could spend $320 to upgrade that glaive to a dwarven dueling glaive (lets you parry without giving up attacks), and/or another $320 to make it a balanced dwarven dueling glaive (+1 to effective skill, so Polearm-19 instead of 18). Or you could rely on taking a weapon from some of the Neverwinter guards--in this case I'm comfortable making the guard have whatever type of high-quality weapon would impress PCs in the scene, if that scene winds up happening.

GM: Anyway, that puts Holga at 39 lb. of gear (ignoring the weight of camping gear, etc., which she probably leaves on her stolen horse or whatever--BTW horses are about $2000) which means she's unencumbered and at full Move 6. (ST 17 is unencumbered at up to 58 lb.)

GM: So she can move around well, has DR 3, has a big sharp weapon to stab or cut or parry with, a shield with which to rush enemies and knock them down, and enough skill to feint enemies' defenses down very low and then stab them in the eyes if she wants to. (Skill 19 - 9 for eyes = 10 or lower on 3d6, 50% success rate. She could stab heart or lungs at 19-3 = 16 or lower, 98% success rate.)

[*snip* example combat]

Player: That's also helpful. I see how with such low hp, players need to be a little more defensive than in D&D. I think I'd still prefer axe/mace as main weapons though.

Player: That is a very good write up. And it gives me some much easier decision points to consider. Maybe tonight at work I'll give it another read through, and make those decisions. At first glance though, I think I like axe/mace better than pole arm, though moving to one handed with a shield, or finding a way to switch between dual wielding to weapon/shield as needed is attractive.

Remove ads