• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Test of High Level 5E: Design 4 or 5 lvl 13 PCs for 6 to 8 encounter adventuring day

Lord Twig

Adventurer
My third character. A Lady of the Light. Malloren!

Malloren
Race: Human Class: Cleric (Light) 13
Background: Acolyte Alignment: Neutral Good
Sex: Female Age: 24 Height: 5'4” Weight: 120lbs. Size: Medium
Senses: passive perception 15
Speed: 30 ft

Abilities
Str 19 +4 (base 13, +1 human, set to 19 by gauntlets)
Dex 14 +2 (base 13, +1 human)
Con 14 +2 (base 12, +1 human, +1 feat)
Int 10 +0 (base 9, +1 human)
Wis 20 +5 (base 15, +1 human, +4 ASI)
Cha 12 +1 (base 11, +1 human)

Proficiency: (+5)
Saving Throws: Constitution +7, Wisdom +10, Charisma +7
Skills: Insight +10, Medicine +10, Persuasion +6, Religion +5
Tools: none
Languages: common, dwarvish, elvish

Combat
Initiative: +2
Defense:
Armor Class: 20
Hit Points: 94 (13d8+26)
Hit Dice: 13d8
Attacks:
Mace of Disruption: +9 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Damage: 1d6+4 bludgeoning damage
Sacred Flame: Dex save DC18 (range 60 ft.; one creature).
Damage: 3d8+5 radiant damage

Class Features
Bonus Cantrip: Gain Light as a cantrip.
Warding Flare: When attacked by a creature within 30 feet of her that she can see, Malloren can use her reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. An attacker that can’t be blinded is immune to this feature.
Malloren can use this feature a 5 times a day. She regains all expended uses after a long rest.
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead: As an action, Malloren present her holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear her within 30 feet of her must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from her as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of her. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
Channel Divinity: Radiance of the Dawn: As an action, Malloren presents her holy symbol, and any magical darkness within 30 feet of her is dispelled. Additionally, each hostile creature within 30 feet of her must make a Con save. A creature takes radiant damage equal to 2d10+13 on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that has total cover from you is not affected.
Destroy Undead: When an undead fails its saving throw against Malloren's Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed if its challenge rating is at or below 2.
Improved Flare: Malloren can also use her Warding Flare feature when a creature that you can see within 20 feet of her attacks a creature other than her.
Resilient (Constitution): You gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws.
Potent Spellcasting: Malloren adds her Wisdom modifier to the damage she deals with any cleric cantrip.
Divine Intervention: Malloren can call on her deity to intervene on her behalf when her need is great.
Imploring her deity’s aid requires her to use her action. Describe the assistance she seeks, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than her cleric level, her deity intervenes. The GM chooses the nature of the intervention; the effect of any cleric spell or cleric domain spell would be appropriate.
If her deity intervenes, she can’t use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, she can use it again after she finishes a long rest.

Prepared Spells
DC: 18
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Resistance, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Level 1 (4 slots): Bless, Burning Hands, Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Sanctuary
Level 2 (3 slots): Aid, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Prayer of Healing, Scorching Ray, Spiritual Weapon
Level 3 (3 slots): Daylight, Dispel Magic, Fireball, Revivify, Spirit Guardians
Level 4 (3 slots): Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Guardian of Faith, Wall of Fire
Level 5 (2 slots): Flame Strike, Greater Restoration, Raise Dead, Scrying
Level 6 (1 slot): Heal, Blade Barrier, True Seeing
Level 7 (1 slot): Conjure Celestial

Equipment
Mace of Disruption, +1 half plate armor, shield w/ holy symbol emblazoned, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, diamonds (1,000gp worth), diamond dust (500 gp worth), eye ointment (100gp worth), silver mirror (1,000gp), backpack, a blanket, holy symbol, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 2 blocks of incense, a censer, vestments, spell component pouch, 2 days of rations, healer’s kit, 2 potions of greater healing and a waterskin.

Money: ?gp

Personal Characteristics
Description: Malloren is athletic and well built. She is more comfortable in armor than a dress and wears her light brown hair in a no-nonsense, shoulder length cut. She is pretty with sparkling green eyes, but is more cute than beautiful. Her smile can light up a room and she has a smile for everyone, unless they prove themselves undeserving.
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
As an acolyte, you command the respect of those who share your faith, and you can perform the religious ceremonies of your deity. You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells. Those who share your religion will support you (but only you) at a modest lifestyle.
You might also have ties to a specific temple dedicated to your chosen deity or pantheon, and you have a residence there. This could be the temple where you used to serve, if you remain on good terms with it, or a temple where you have found a new home. While near your temple, you can call upon the priests for assistance, provided the assistance you ask for is not hazardous and you remain in good standing with your temple.
Personality Trait: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Personality Trait: I am tolerant (or intolerant) of other faiths and respect (or condemn) the worship of other gods.
Ideal: Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost. (Good)
Bond: Everything I do is for the common people.
Flaw: My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Twig,

You should switch out one of your 4th level plus spells for banishment. This spell is a game changer, especially against outsiders.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Twig,

You should switch out one of your 4th level plus spells for banishment. This spell is a game changer, especially against outsiders.
It also works great if you let a player homebrew a race that is an outsider and have another player turn him into a lap dog on fear of banishment, oh fun times

BoldItalic

First Post
My third character. A Lady of the Light. Malloren!
I've added links for Nightflower and Malloren.

On your point of "everybody is +10", you're right but I think the game is designed that way so that it doesn't matter what mix of classes you have in the party. A 13th-level party is +10 to hit, the difference is how many times you can attack and with what damage.

As regards speeding up travel, there is a Phantom Steed spell (Wizards only) that would probably cut the journey down to about half an hour but you'd have to cast it 5 times, one for each party member, and that would take five middle-level spell slots, which is quite an investment. Theoretically you cast cast it five times over as a ritual but that would take 50 minutes which defeats the object. The optimum party for getting there quickly is five wizards :-S

Azurewraith

Explorer

On your point of "everybody is +10", you're right but I think the game is designed that way so that it doesn't matter what mix of classes you have in the party. A 13th-level party is +10 to hit, the difference is how many times you can attack and with what damage.

As regards speeding up travel, there is a Phantom Steed spell (Wizards only) that would probably cut the journey down to about half an hour but you'd have to cast it 5 times, one for each party member, and that would take five middle-level spell slots, which is quite an investment. Theoretically you cast cast it five times over as a ritual but that would take 50 minutes which defeats the object. The optimum party for getting there quickly is five wizards :-S
Or multiclassed wizards!
Could be onto something, or find steed could be easier

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Twig,

My wizard has the banishment spell. I considered letting them both have it, because it really is that good, but finally decided one caster with it was enough. We will see if that is a mistake or not. :)

BoldItalic

First Post
Or multiclassed wizards!
Could be onto something, or find steed could be easier

If every character was Wizard-5/Anything-8, and they all knew Phantom Steed (they could have copied it from each other's books already) they would each have two 3rd-level slots and they would only need one. That works.
:D

Snag with Find Steed is it only brings you a mount with normal travel pace, which doesn't help. Also, you can only have one at a time so you'd still need five multi wizards.

So maybe a party like this:
Wizard-13
Eldritch Knight-13
Arcane Trickster-13
Wizard-5/Life Cleric-8
Wizard-5/XXX-8

They all have 3rd-level wizard slots and can use Phantom Steed twice. How well would they cope with the encounters, though? Shall we try it?

Lord Twig

Adventurer
For my fourth character I have the classically trained wizard, Ceric Bale.

Ceric Bale
Race: Human Class: Wizard (Abjurer) 13
Background: Sage (Wizard’s apprentice) Alignment: Neutral Good
Sex: Male Age: 23 Height: 5'9” Weight: 130lbs. Size: Medium
Senses: passive perception 12
Speed: 30 ft

Abilities
Str 9 -1 (base 8, +1 human)
Dex 14 +2 (base 13, +1 human)
Con 16 +3 (base 13, +1 human, +2 ASI)
Int 20 +5 (base 15, +1 human, +4 ASI)
Wis 14 +2 (base 13, +1 human)
Cha 12 +1 (base 11, +1 human)

Saving Throws: Intelligence +10, Wisdom +7
Skills: Arcana +10, History +10, Insight +7, Investigation +10
Tools: none
Languages: common, draconic, dwarvish, elvish

Combat
Initiative: +2
Defense:
Armor Class: 12 (15 with mage armor)
Hit Points: 93 (13d6+39) (Arcane Ward 31hp)
Hit Dice: 13d6
Attacks:
+1 Quarterstaff: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning damage (1d8 bludgeoning damage if wielded in two hands)
Ray of Frost: +11 to hit (range 120 ft.; one creature).
Damage: 3d8 necrotic damage, can not regain hit points for 1 round

Class Features
Arcane Recovery
: Once per day during a short rest recover 7 level of spell slots.
Abjuration Savant: Gold and time spent to copy an abjuration spell into Ceric’s spellbook is halved.
Arcane Ward: When Ceric casts an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, he can simultaneously use a strand of the spell’s magic to create a magical ward on himself that lasts until he finishes a long rest. The ward has 31 hit points (twice Ceric’s wizard level + his Int mod). Whenever Ceric takes damage, the ward takes the damage instead. If this damage reduces the ward to 0 hit points, you take any remaining damage.
While the ward has 0 hit points, it can’t absorb damage, but it’s magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell.
Once you create the ward, you can’t create it again until you finish a long rest.
Projected Ward: When a creature Ceric can see within 30’ of him takes damage, he can use his reaction to cause his Arcane Ward to absorb that damage. If this damage reduces the ward to 0 hit points, the warded creature takes any remaining damage.
Improved Abjuration: When Ceric casts an abjuration spell that requires him to make an ability check as a part of casting that spell (as in counterspell and dispel magic), he adds his proficiency bonus to that ability check.

Prepared Spells
DC
: 18
Cantrips: Chill Touch, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
Level 1 (4 slots): Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield
Level 2 (3 slots): Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Web
Level 3 (3 slots): Counterspell, Fireball, Hypnotic Pattern
Level 4 (3 slots): Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles, Polymorph
Level 5 (2 slots): Bigby's Hand, Cone of Cold, Wall of Force
Level 6 (1 slot): Globe of Invulnerability, Sunbeam
Level 7 (1 slot): Plane Shift

Known Spells
1st-level: Alarm(r), Burning Hands, Charm Person, Find Familiar(r), Ice Knife, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep
2nd-level: Mirror Image, Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Web
3rd-level: Counterspell, Fireball, Hypnotic Pattern, Sleet Storm
4th-level: Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles, Fire Shield, Polymorph
5th-level: Animate Objects, Bigby's Hand, Cone of Cold, Wall of Force
6th-level: Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability, Mass Suggestion, Sunbeam
7th-level: Forcecage, Plane Shift

Equipment
Quarterstaff of the War Mage +1, Ring of Evasion, spell component pouch, arcane focus (wand), scholar's pack, spellbook, 2 potions of greater healing, bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, set of fine clothes, and a belt pouch.

Money: ?gp

Quarterstaff of the War Mage +1
As well as being a +1 magic weapon, holding this staff grants a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls and, in addition, you ignore half cover when making the spell attack.

Ring of Evasion (Attuned, 3 charges)
When Ceric fails a dexterity saving throw, he can use his reaction to expend one charge to succeed on that saving throw instead.

Myrkyn's Teleport Focus
A crystal the size of a clenched fist. By holding the crystal and expending a spell slot of at least 5th level, the crystal allows the wielder to cast teleport - but only to the teleportation circle programmed. It takes 1 minute to program a new set of coordinates into the stone.

Personal Characteristics
Description
: Ceric was classically trained by a proper wizard. He wears blue robes with arcane symbols that are divided for riding and freedom of movement. A tall pointed hat completes the ensemble. He has green eyes, short brown hair and a pointed goatee.
Feature: If I don’t know some information, I often know where to find it.
Personality Trait: I’m willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.
Personality Trait: I’m used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.
Ideal: Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true. (Good)
Bond: I’ve been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Familiar
Owlbert
Owl
(tiny celestial)
Standard stats
Currently in pocket dimension

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

Now you're optimizing and calculating. That's why I didn't mention the mount spell. Too costly in slots or time as a ritual.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Here is the final member of the party and her best friend. Bel and Cooper!

Bethiana “Bel” Amastacia
Race
: Wood Elf Class: Ranger (Beast Master) 13
Background: Folk Hero (Woodland Protector) Alignment: Chaotic Good
Sex: Female Age: 31 Height: 5' Weight: 90lbs. Size: Medium
Senses: passive perception 18, darkvision 60'
Speed: 35 ft

Abilities
Str 10 +0
Dex 20 +5 (14 base, +2 Elf, +4 Ability Score Improvement)
Con 14 +2 (13 base, +1 Resilient)
Int 10 +0
Wis 16 +3 (15 base, +1 Wood Elf)
Cha 10 +0

Saving Throws: Strength +5, Dexterity +10, Constitution +7
Skills: Acrobatics +10, Animal Handling +8, Nature +5, Perception +8, Stealth +10, Survival +8
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: Artisan’s tools (Leatherworking), Vehicles (land)
Languages: common, elvish, orcish, abyssal

Combat
Initiative: +5
Defense
Armor Class: 18 (12 armor, +5 Dex, +1 Defensive)
Hit Points: 108 (13d10+26)
Hit Dice: 13d10
Attacks
Rapier: +10 to hit (reach 5 ft.)
Damage: 1d8+5 piercing damage
Longbow: +11 to hit (range 150/600 ft.)
Damage: 1d8+6 piercing damage

Features and Traits
Darkvision: 60’
Fey Ancestry: Have advantage on saving throws vs. charmed, immune to magic sleep.
Mask of the Wild: Can hide when lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
Trance: Meditate for 4 hours a day and gain the same benefit as 8 hours of sleep.
Favored Enemy: Orcs, Goblins and Fiends.
Natural Explorer: Forest, grassland and swamp.
Fighting Style: Defense, +1 to AC when wearing armor.
Ranger’s Companion: Wolf
Primeval Awareness: Spend spell slot to locate unnatural creatures.
Extra Attack: Can attack twice with the attack Action or can also attack when animal companion is ordered to attack.
Exceptional Training: Can use bonus action to command animal companion to Dash, Disengage, Dodge or Help.
Resilient (Constitution): You gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws.
Land’s Stride: Ignore non-magical difficult terrain and plants. Advantage on saves vs. magical plants impairing movement.
Hide in Plain Sight: Spend 1 minute to gain +10 to stealth even with no cover. Movement or actions break stealth.
Bestial Fury: Animal companion can make two attacks when commanded to take Attack action.

Known Spells
DC
: 16
Level 1 (4 slots): Cure Wounds, Ensnaring Strike, Speak with Animals
Level 2 (3 slots): Pass without Trace, Silence
Level 3 (3 slots): Conjure Animals, Lightning Arrow
Level 4 (1 slot): Stoneskin

Equipment
studded leather armor, rapier, +1 longbow, quiver, 10 flaming arrows, 30 arrows, leatherworking tools, iron pot, shovel, diamond dust (500gp worth), spell component pouch, Boots of the Winterland, Cloak of Elvenkind, 2 potions of greater healing, explorer’s pack.

Boots of the Winterlands (attuned)
While wearing these boots Bel gains the following benefits:
Resistance to cold damage.
Ignore difficult terrain created by ice and snow.
Can tolerate temps as low as -50 degrees without additional protection. With heavy clothes can tolerate temps as low as -100 degrees.

Cloak of Elvenkind (attuned)
While wearing this cloak with the hood up, Wisdom (Perception) checks made to see you have disadvantage, and Dexterity (Stealth) checks have advantage to hide. Pulling the hood up or down requires an action. (Hood is up)

Personal Characteristics
Description
: Bel wears her heart on her sleeve and her emotions are plainly visible on her face. This is useful as her mood can change like the wind. She is fickle and unpredictable, but once she decides to do something she sees it through.
Bel has a natural beauty that she does nothing to enhance. She is short and slender with hazel eyes. Her black hair is crudely cut short and her clothing is functional greens and browns.
Defining Event: A lord rescinded an unpopular decree after I led a symbolic act of protest against it.
Trait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Trait: I get bored easily. When am I going to get on with my destiny?
Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. (Chaotic)
Bond: I have a family, but I have no idea where they are. One day, I hope to see them again.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Animal Companion
Cooper the Wolf
Wolf
(medium beast)
Size: Medium
Senses: passive perception 18 (23 hearing or smell)
Speed: 40 ft

Abilities
Str 12 +1
Dex 15 +2
Con 12 +1
Int 3 +0 -4
Wis 12 +1
Cha 6 -2

Saving Throws:
Skills: Perception +8, Stealth +9
Combat
Initiative
: +2
Defense
Armor Class: 18 (13 natural armor, +5 Ranger’s Companion)
Hit Points: 52
Attacks
Bite
: +9 to hit (reach 5 ft.)
Damage: 2d4+7 piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Features and Traits
Keen Hearing and Smell
: Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Pack Tactics: Advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

Last edited:

Remove ads