Prepping for the hardcover compilation - errors, edits, and suggestions?

efreund

Explorer
I'd like a detail-map of Drakr. (In the style of the detail-maps of Ber and Elfaivar.) I'm not sure where any of the following are: Knütpara, Bhad Ryzhavdut, Pretba, Koffimsov, Balingrad, Lukala.

Samuel Cole

First Post
Something else we'd make use of would be more in-character documents, such as a couple pages from the works of William Miller, some liturgical texts from the Church of Triegenes, etc.

Ooh, that'd be interesting, but I feel like until I get a few years of seminary under my belt, I probably can't do justice to 'one of the greatest philosophers of history.' In cases like this it might be better to leave it to the players' imagination, because a sh*tty attempt to 'show' is worse than just 'telling.'

I am looking for more things that could be handouts, though. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...list-for-the-second-set-of-cards-and-handouts

I'm not sure what else to add to that. Maybe a dossier about the Unseen Court (which would be empty)? A collection of lore about the fey titans (forms they have taken in previous manifestations, how they were defeated)? The airship travel time chart?

Last edited:

Samuel Cole

First Post
Ooh, that'd be interesting, but I feel like until I get a few years of seminary under my belt, I probably can't do justice to 'one of the greatest philosophers of history.'

Amusingly, five out of seven members of my Zeitgeist group are, in fact, Christian ministers: two episcopalians, one roman catholic, one congregationalist, and an evangelical.

That's fascinating! How do they interact with religion in RPGs? I know my engineer friends always kinda hold their noses when playing sci-fi because they know stuff doesn't actually work the way the rules say they do, and my cop friend knows way more about guns than modern RPGs care about, so I wonder if real-life clergy would be put off by overly vague or broad depictions of religion in D&D.

Samuel Cole

First Post
For the most part, I just find that they're less willing to be satisfied with simplistic depictions of morality and religion. In our game, for example:

*There is no alignment. No gods are universally categorized as good, neutral, or evil, and the differences between chromatic and metallic dragons are primarily cultural. This fits pretty well with Zeitgeist, anyway, in which orcs can be noble and the antagonists are convinced they're bettering the world. This lack of alignment leads to in-character quotes like, "I don't have a problem with Triegenes, I have a problem with his followers," and "How do we know we can't trust the demon? Have you ever met one before?"

*While everyone pretty much agrees that Triegenes exists, there are divergent opinions on whether Triegenes has personhood or is simply a personified ideal, and whether the things that Triegenes represents are worthy of veneration. Similarly, everyone pretty much agrees that the fey exist, but there are divergent opinions on what, exactly, they are and whether or not they have our best interests at heart.

*There are a variety of factions and theologies within the major world faiths. For example, one PC inadvertently founded a monastic order in the abandoned Nettles church (where no one can die). Convinced that Triegenes is keeping them alive for a purpose, they've abandoned their faith's typical focus on personal apotheosis and have instead embraced the idea of collective apotheosis (with a little nationalism thrown in) - Triegenes has a unique and exceptional plan for Risur, which will play a vital role in the perfection of the world.

Amusingly, the most spiritual characters (an invoker and a skyseer) are played by the atheist and the agnostic in the group.

hirou

Explorer
I'm not sure what else to add to that. Maybe a dossier about the Unseen Court (which would be empty)? A collection of lore about the fey titans (forms they have taken in previous manifestations, how they were defeated)? The airship travel time chart?

I'm all for as much lore as you're comfortable writing. In particular, ambiguous Kelland's Rites of Rulership and centuries of interactions with Unseen Court and fey titans are just begging for details. In my headcanon, Rites are purposedly obfuscated, but ingrained in the fabric of nature (at least, within Risur's border) by the collective will of fey titans, hence totally unbreakable by design. Noone knows the exact wording of the pact which Kelland made with titans, except for specific clauses, confirmed empirically over the years (i.e. the king that died and was revived can no longer be the king), but this doesn't diminish the punishment (literally by nature, e.g. unlikely accident) for violating Rites. This of course means that Risur monarchy, Unseen Court and Ob are all very interested in obtaining any and all concrete information about the Rites, by any means necessary.

Obryn

Hero
I'm currently on Adventure 8, and I agree that I'd like a few more maps, more than anything.

An overview map of Methia would be especially useful, for the infiltration scenes. I agree with a battle map for the tower base, too. I'd have also liked an encounter map for Resal, for the Bleak Golem ambush.

Another note on the maps ... a whole lot of the maps are altogether too big. For instance, Pemberton's volcano lair map from Mouth of a Madman is set to 10' scale, but I think it could work just as well at 5'. I don't know if this is resolvable, of course.

Finally, I have questions about Adventure 10. Is the King the only one who gets their stats boosted during Fey Titan encounters? I am really concerned about - for example - the Ash Wolf encounter. I don't see how it's workable in 4e if there's only one character who stands a chance of contributing to a combat.

e: I have a large group, and some notes about adapting for larger groups would be pretty helpful. I'm worried about some of the upcoming encounters, and am planning various ways to up the difficulty. In particular, I'm worried about the upcoming encounter with Nicodemus. My current plan is that whenever he releases a bound spirit, it turns into either a Wraith or a Sorrow (from earlier in the adventure), as well as giving him an entire second turn instead of just extra Standard actions. Solo fights are always problematic, and I think he needs ramped up a bit. I can send some feedback when I'm done.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases