AL and Deep Gnomes

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I would nominally be okay with light sensitivity if crystalline sunglasses were a thing. Of course, DMs would take every opportunity to have them break, be stolen, or otherwise disappear.....

I know I would! If you really got under my skin, I might even drop you, then impose a -3 'munchkin penalty' on your Dark Gift roll when taking Dark Powers Charity. Problem solved!

--
Pauper

StinkyEttin

First Post
I would nominally be okay with light sensitivity if crystalline sunglasses were a thing. Of course, DMs would take every opportunity to have them break, be stolen, or otherwise disappear.....
Ugh. The drow were cursed thousands of years ago. I'm pretty sure that sunglasses would have been the first thing they tried.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I truly doubt you will EVER see a way to supress/remove the Sunlight Vunerability the Drow have in 5e at least from a WOTC made product.

No doubt its the first thing someone created for the dmgsguild though.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Ugh. The drow were cursed thousands of years ago. I'm pretty sure that sunglasses would have been the first thing they tried.

"What are those things on your face?"
"Sunglasses! They're meant to stop us from becoming blind in sunlight."
"They look ridiculous. Why would we wear those when the priestesses are taking us to live underground?"
"Ah, good point. I'll get rid of them."

--
Pauper

"What are those things on your face?"
"Sunglasses! They're meant to stop us from becoming blind in sunlight."
"They look ridiculous. Why would we wear those when the priestesses are taking us to live underground?"
"Ah, good point. I'll get rid of them."

--
Pauper

My Half-Drow, Blade "The Drow Daywalker" treats his Goggles of Night the same way that the real Blade treats his sunglasses. He feels naked without them on at all times. :p

Motorskills

Explorer

You're trying to shoehorn logic into somewhere it doesn't belong.

"I want baddie elves. I want them to look different. Where will it be thematically cool for them to live?"

That was the discussion in the author's mind, he spent not one iota of mental energy calculating the workarounds that could/would have arisen in the "real" world....and quite right too.

My point is that I wouldn't mind Deep Gnomes having sunlight sensitivity, it would certainly be thematic, and there is direct precedence.
However there would need to be an offset to make them balanced and playable. And that might not be mechanically possible.
So it's easier to leave it off.

But I'll be buying my guy some sunglasses anyway. :)

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Locally I tend to only find races from the PHB in use. My Out of the Abyss game started with 2 Duergar and a Drow but due to drop outs and player poachings , Ive now got humans and a smattering of elves/half orc.

I also run Expeditions and have seen a single Deep Gnome who was played more like a Rock Gnome. Frankly the amount of times Ive had people ask what the Elemental Evil Companion was and I say its free with extra races, it may as well be hidden behind a paywall because unless you are like us and hang out on the facebook page or in here, you probably wont know about it (very casual gamer) until you suddenly find it.. then probably later forget all about it.

Ive created one Rondon Turen, a Cleric who worships Segojan Earthcaller. He loves to travel and when he is tied down gets a little irritable.

DocSharpe

Explorer
Frankly the amount of times Ive had people ask what the Elemental Evil Companion was and I say its free with extra races, it may as well be hidden behind a paywall because unless you are like us and hang out on the facebook page or in here, you probably wont know about it (very casual gamer) until you suddenly find it.. then probably later forget all about it.

This. The conversation usually goes something like this:

"Where is that race (or spell)?"
"It's in the Elemental Evil Players Companion"
"Oh, where do I get that?"
"Up on (whatever DMsGuild used to be). Here's the link."
(clear expression of "Oh, I have to go look it up?".)

Subject gets dropped until two months later when they want to know where someone found stats for genasi.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I can divide my Expeditions players (because dammit Im gonna continue to use the word), into 2 groups. The really casuals (Oh I havnt bough the PHB yet.. I hope to oneday.. can I borrow yours?) to the (I have all the books and my character if a Warlock/Cleric of Random Merfolk God. I have extremes, yet everyone seems to always forget about the Elemental Evil Companions.

I Keep a copy with myself when I play in a friends Non AL Princes game (My Warlock/ Anti Paladin is now level 6 !.. tears) and I keep a folio file with copies in it. Occasionally Ill get people flipping through it and then hand it back.

Remove ads