AL and Deep Gnomes

CapnZapp

Legend
Exactly.

I find that Svirfneblin has taken the crown that previously belonged to the drow.

Svirfneblin have superior darkvision, a very strong trait.

Svirfneblin does NOT have light sensitivity.

Svirfneblin are Gnomes and have a VERY strong magical resistance.

It's the new munchkin race

Ainulindalion

First Post
If a player wants to play a deep gnome wizard with the racial feat at 4th level, the odds are very good they plan on abusing the Abjurer Arcane Ward feature. So be prepared for that. It is pretty cheesy but perfectly legal. The spammable nondetection spell does count as an abjuration spell.

One thing worth pointing out to them if they start doing this is that it costs them 25 GP every single time they cast. While not super expensive, it can add up in a hurry, and hurts wizards who want that money for spell copying most of all.

CapnZapp

Legend
One thing worth pointing out to them if they start doing this is that it costs them 25 GP every single time they cast. While not super expensive, it can add up in a hurry, and hurts wizards who want that money for spell copying most of all.
Since this is the AL forum, that's a fair objection.

In many home games, though, 25 gp is a pittance. Casting a 25 gp spell is essentially free there.

Cinderwell

First Post

Actually, the feat specifically says you can cast it without the materials.

Motorskills

Explorer
If a player wants to play a deep gnome wizard with the racial feat at 4th level, the odds are very good they plan on abusing the Abjurer Arcane Ward feature. So be prepared for that. It is pretty cheesy but perfectly legal. The spammable nondetection spell does count as an abjuration spell.

Also worth noting is that deep gnomes are the only playable 120 ft darkvision race that does NOT have light sensitivities.

My guy is a diviner. In fifteen AL tables I haven't met a single other Deep Gnome, let alone an Abjurer wizard.

Portent works well with Blindness and whatever check is made to break through Disguise Self.

I would nominally be okay with light sensitivity if crystalline sunglasses were a thing. Of course, DMs would take every opportunity to have them break, be stolen, or otherwise disappear.....

Remove ads