• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Haunted One Background question

Jabborwacky

First Post
After looking over the corrected Haunted One background, I noticed the background grants only one language as opposed to a combination of any two tool proficiencies and languages. Should a player taking the background choose an additional language or tool proficiency?

Ganymede81

First Post
For some reason, this background only allows one skill proficiency and one language/tool proficiency, with the reason likely being poor editing.

Just let your players have two of each as normal. The background can be rebuilt anyways using the background customization options anyways, so the limitation is moot.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I would imagine that it's because this is the only background that is granting an Exotic Language. Every other background grants "languages", which, according to the Languages section of Chapter 4 - Personality & Background... are taken from the Standard Language chart (unless the DM specially grants an Exotic or special language (like Thieve's Cant) otherwise.)

So instead of getting two Standard languages, the background is "guaranteeing" you one Exotic instead (which you ordinarily wouldn't get via background without special DM dispensation.)

Jabborwacky

First Post
I would imagine that it's because this is the only background that is granting an Exotic Language. Every other background grants "languages", which, according to the Languages section of Chapter 4 - Personality & Background... are taken from the Standard Language chart (unless the DM specially grants an Exotic or special language (like Thieve's Cant) otherwise.)

So instead of getting two Standard languages, the background is "guaranteeing" you one Exotic instead (which you ordinarily wouldn't get via background without special DM dispensation.)

I actually never realized they categorized languages as such. Thanks for letting me know! Any word on whether that applies to bonus languages related to race as well?

Ganymede81

First Post

That sounds a lot like WOTC balancing one ribbon against another ribbon, which is not really their design philosophy.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I actually never realized they categorized languages as such. Thanks for letting me know! Any word on whether that applies to bonus languages related to race as well?

I believe if you look in the Languages section, it does say that bonus languages from Race and Background are from the Standard list unless the DM gives special dispensation. The only way you theoretically earn Exotic languages are because your racial language is one, or you take the Linguist feat (which allows you to select whichever ones you want.) Of course, since feats are "DM approved" as well... ostensibly even Linguist is special DM dispensation.

Remove ads