D&D (2024) Should all races/lineages have +2/+1/+1 ASI?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm pretty tired of people insisting that making all species more playable for all classes is making them 'generic'.

It's literally that, whether you are tired of it or not. Generic means "characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific." If you make them all not specific, you're making them all generic. And what you mean by "more playable" is "less specific" right? You want them to not specify particularized ability scores as having a bonus or a minimum, right? That is making them "not specific" which is "generic."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's literally that, whether you are tired of it or not. Generic means "characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific." If you make them all not specific, you're making them all generic. And what you mean by "more playable" is "less specific" right? You want them to not specify particularized ability scores as having a bonus or a minimum, right? That is making them "not specific" which is "generic."
Vocabulary doesn't lie.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
See, I don't think that racial ASI do anything to make species less generic. It's actual features that do that.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
The way I'm doing it, going forward, is to remove all 1st level ASIs from race/background/etc and have players assign their stats according to the standard point buy (27 points).

But, to replace the standard ASIs, players get to roll 5d4 for each ability score, in order, and use the higher result (between the roll and the buy) for each ability.

The way I'm doing it, going forward, is to remove all 1st level ASIs from race/background/etc and have players assign their stats according to the standard point buy (27 points).

But, to replace the standard ASIs, players get to roll 5d4 for each ability score, in order, and use the higher result (between the roll and the buy) for each ability.
I mean... that's one way to create a party of demigods at level 1.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
See, I don't think that racial ASI do anything to make species less generic. It's actual features that do that.
How is "this race has two higher strength than other races" not something which makes it less generic? It's saying they're meaningfully differentiated from other races in their tendency to be physically stronger, right?

Remove ads