Nearly PvP

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Green1: I remember a few of these back at game days in the late 90's. I dont get to attend many cons anymore but the ease of being able to pickup a minis game with pretty easy rules and play in a demo game or two has more less cut these D&D arena style quick games off at the knees.

Far be it for me to say but gamers in general like a bit of roleplaying in their game. The Arena setup dosnt really allow for that.

Also the D&D mini lines has enjoyed varying low level degrees of success over the years. Id point to the D&D Attack Wing game for current evidence that the demand just isnt there for that style of thing.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Green1: I remember a few of these back at game days in the late 90's. I dont get to attend many cons anymore but the ease of being able to pickup a minis game with pretty easy rules and play in a demo game or two has more less cut these D&D arena style quick games off at the knees.

Far be it for me to say but gamers in general like a bit of roleplaying in their game. The Arena setup dosnt really allow for that.

Also the D&D mini lines has enjoyed varying low level degrees of success over the years. Id point to the D&D Attack Wing game for current evidence that the demand just isnt there for that style of thing.

RulesJD

First Post
This brings up a bigger issue that I have always wondered about with public play.

How come no one runs arena battles with point buy DnD characters at Cons or FLGSs?

I know, I know. The whole adventure on rails thing. But, I think even a game like capture the flag or skirmish with plate mail and spells with DnD rules would be awesome and the market is underserved.

If you doubt me, think Bloodbowl without tons of expensive minis or the complexity and tables.

That said, anytime you are in a public session you deal with folks that may not have another game for a good reason.

Honestly I'd love something like that, but I could see it going off the rails real quick, especially with so much likely calling for DM interpretation. If I cast Suggestion and suggest that your super armored fighter is too hot and would rather fight naked, is that allowed? etc.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
How come no one runs arena battles with point buy DnD characters at Cons or FLGSs?

Speaking only for myself, if I wanted that sort of thing I'd be playing MMPORGs. I don't. AL tables are annoyingly light on plot and character interaction as it is IMO, if that became the new normal at my FLGS I'd stop going.

Had that exact same pairing in the last AL game I played. The verbal sparring never went further, and we both were mature enough to have fun with it, thus making a more memorable and fun game for everyone.

On the subject of the list of near-PVP events, those are all the actions of a player that doesn't play well with others. No matter what the rules are in place, that sort of person probably would just find other ways to cause mischief and trouble at a table. For my part, fortunately, I've never encountered anyone that disruptive in AL. I'm sure they exist, though, as I've certainly seen them in other situations, unfortunately.

Like most adventuring parties, certain "characters" will not like each other. Yet the demon hating Paladin can't intentionally interfere with the playing of the Tiefling, and vice versa.

Green1

First Post
Honestly I'd love something like that, but I could see it going off the rails real quick, especially with so much likely calling for DM interpretation. If I cast Suggestion and suggest that your super armored fighter is too hot and would rather fight naked, is that allowed? etc.

You would have to not allow DM intrusions. Vague spells like Suggestion would have to have a list of approve effects, but we do have a head start.

The wording of suggestion makes it to where you can only suggest something that does not outright mess them over. No doffing plate in combat, taking swims in lava, stepping between folks to be flanked. It is a low level enchantment, not control. But, moving the character out of the way to a hex/ square of target's choice or not attacking seems reasonable.

RulesJD

First Post
You would have to not allow DM intrusions. Vague spells like Suggestion would have to have a list of approve effects, but we do have a head start.

The wording of suggestion makes it to where you can only suggest something that does not outright mess them over. No doffing plate in combat, taking swims in lava, stepping between folks to be flanked. It is a low level enchantment, not control. But, moving the character out of the way to a hex/ square of target's choice or not attacking seems reasonable.

The example provided is literally a knight in shinning armor going to give its shinning armor (horse) away. But honestly there are a dozen more instances of things like that where rulings would get wishy washy.

was

Adventurer
..IME, any type of league play open to the public will eventually attract a few players who have difficulty in finding a regular group due to their...limited social skills. The worst offender that I have seen actually attempted to provoke another player into PvP, knowing that it was banned.

Green1

First Post
..IME, any type of league play open to the public will eventually attract a few players who have difficulty in finding a regular group due to their...limited social skills. The worst offender that I have seen actually attempted to provoke another player into PvP, knowing that it was banned.

You already occasionally do. The type of game is irrelevant. It is due to the open nature of FLGS and open table cons. If you know no one, have ticked off a group or two, or have moved to a new city this is the go-to place. It's great it exists. But, unlike a private session, open sessions you do not really have a vetting process. To come into my home session, you either have to have another player recommend you or if know no one, at least had found out about it and let me meet you. Open session, you just show up.

But, for every social malcontent there are tons of great players who just did not know anyone or just want to game without having to be "vetted" to enter someone's house.

An occasional open arena battle would be great. I used to do this at a coffeehouse in New Orleans occasionally (like once every 4 months). Problem is, only DMs liked to play it. Player-only types did not like it. Very niche. They enjoyed the tactics challenge and learning builds so they can better challenge players and be familiar with abilities of lesser played classes in their groups. It was awesome exercise though, and I learned cool battle tactics that made me run more challenging battles for my players.

I may try to do this at an open table at a con one day as an experiment. I'd probably get some good sign ups. Maybe meet some cool people.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
When I take valuable treasure (art, gems, etc), I usually record it on my logsheet as follows:

GP + X (where X equals my character's normal share of the treasure); GP - Y (where Y = the value of the art object, or objects). Then in my notes section I record something like the following: Treasure - 500gp gem (-500gp).
I make notes during the game session if we discover something I want. Price for certain, and description if available.
I record +X GP as assigned by the DM, then immediately buy the ring/art/gem/whatever. This is how I carry around "37 GP, 25 GP green gem, 10 GP trade bar"
I also carry around a few things of no apparent value that we found along the way, such as "coinpurse full of gold-painted wooden disks" (which I carry plainly visible so somebody can Pickpocket IT instead of my hidden-under-my-shirt coinpurse of real coins).

Remove ads