Your favourite Trek?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My favourite era of Star Trek is the original movie era. Something about the ships, the look and feel, the uniforms, all the visual design of that era appeals to me. It's more "naval" than the bright colours of TOS and the carpet-lounged TNG without feeling too militaristic. The ships feel solid.

I also loved that era for gaming. Back when I played FASA Trek, it was always set in that era - the II, III, IV era, a bit later, but before VI. The Enterprise A was in service, there were a couple of Excelsior class ships now in service (once they fixed the original), Klingons were still bad guys, Romulans still a bit mysterious. PCs would be explorers, discovering new life forms and new civilizations. If I played Trek again, it would be in that time period.

I loved TNG too, of course; though it always felt a little too "soft". Still, I saw every episode. DS9 was OK, but it was starting to drift from the Star Trek feel for me, and I never really gave Voyager a chance. Maybe I should.

What about you? What era do you love the most?

Ryujin

Legend
My Trek is the Trek of my youth; the original Star Trek in its first run. One part Western, one part action series, one part cerebral exercise. It was ahead of its time; the spoonful of sugar to help the philosophical navel-gazing medicine go down.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
My favourite era of Star Trek is the original movie era. Something about the ships, the look and feel, the uniforms, all the visual design of that era appeals to me. It's more "naval" than the bright colours of TOS and the carpet-lounged TNG without feeling too militaristic. The ships feel solid.

I also loved that era for gaming. Back when I played FASA Trek, it was always set in that era - the II, III, IV era, a bit later, but before VI. The Enterprise A was in service, there were a couple of Excelsior class ships now in service (once they fixed the original), Klingons were still bad guys, Romulans still a bit mysterious. PCs would be explorers, discovering new life forms and new civilizations. If I played Trek again, it would be in that time period.

I loved TNG too, of course; though it always felt a little too "soft". Still, I saw every episode. DS9 was OK, but it was starting to drift from the Star Trek feel for me, and I never really gave Voyager a chance. Maybe I should.

What about you? What era do you love the most?

We played exactly the same time period and with FASA! If I had the chance again, would probably do the same ��

EdL

First Post
My fav is TOS, because that was my first. Although the early movies (EXCEPT for the first) run a close second. And I too played FASA Trek, but nearly as much as I would have liked.

MarkB

Legend
My favourite is DS9, because it managed to take a darker tone and deal with storylines in longer terms than a single episode.

After that, it would be the original series, closely followed by the movies, with their high point being the trilogy of Star Trek II through IV.

I loved Star Trek TNG when it first aired, and there's still a lot to enjoy there - great cast, I love the Enterprise-D ship design, good stories. But it hasn't aged as well as other series.

I stuck out Voyager for about a season and a half, and caught a few episodes here and there later down the line, none of which did much to redeem it. The show had about two decent, well-played characters, who weren't enough to keep the rest above water.

If TNG didn't age well, Enterprise was outdated before it began. It felt like something from the early 90s, and never really caught my interest.

Ryujin

Legend
My favourite is DS9, because it managed to take a darker tone and deal with storylines in longer terms than a single episode.

After that, it would be the original series, closely followed by the movies, with their high point being the trilogy of Star Trek II through IV.

I loved Star Trek TNG when it first aired, and there's still a lot to enjoy there - great cast, I love the Enterprise-D ship design, good stories. But it hasn't aged as well as other series.

I stuck out Voyager for about a season and a half, and caught a few episodes here and there later down the line, none of which did much to redeem it. The show had about two decent, well-played characters, who weren't enough to keep the rest above water.

If TNG didn't age well, Enterprise was outdated before it began. It felt like something from the early 90s, and never really caught my interest.

DS9 really started to catch its stride once TNG was done, and the writers from it reassigned to DS9.

I didn't take to TNG immediately because it seemed like they had taken the characterizations from TOS, split them into multiple characters, then spread them around the bridge crew. Voyager became "Borgwatch."

Enterprise was a squandered opportunity. Whoever decided that it should be about an invented "temporal cold war", instead of the birth of the Federation, should never work in television again.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
ST:OS for me, the show of my youth. The later shows became too political, always talk, talk, talk and the movies have just become different ways to destroy the Enterprise.

ST:TNG - it had some gems but too much discussion, no true villains as everyone was defeated within a season.
DS9 - Babylon 5, needed more grit and something to separate itself.
ST:V - could have been good but just was wasteful in stories but we got Seven of Nine's Borg implants.
ST:Enterprise - all they had to do was follow the creation myths but nope and it was bad.

One of the biggest issues I have now days is speed of ships is speed of plot, in the original series time was still relevant. I also hate all the time travel crap that seems to crop up in current generations.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One of the biggest issues I have now days is speed of ships is speed of plot, in the original series time was still relevant. I also hate all the time travel crap that seems to crop up in current generations.

Of course, TOS started that "crap". "The Naked Time", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Assignment: Earth", "All Our Yesterdays", and "City on the Edge of Forever" all included time travel. And then Trek IV, as well, before Next Generation came along.

I, personally, have a hard time choosing a favorite, other than to say that Voyager *isn't* my favorite. The other series all have good things about them (even Enterprise - the fourth season, where they gave the reins to Manny Coto and he tried so desperately to get the show on track).

There are a couple of the movies that I could do without.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Of course, TOS started that "crap". "The Naked Time", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Assignment: Earth", "All Our Yesterdays", and "City on the Edge of Forever" all included time travel. And then Trek IV, as well, all before Next Generation came along.

Though, I suppose with time travel, saying one came before another is a bit... fraught :p

I, personally, have a hard time choosing a favorite, other than to say that Voyager *isn't* my favorite. The other series all have good things about them (even Enterprise - the fourth season, where they gave the reins to Manny Coto and he tried so desperately to get the show on track).

Ryujin

Legend
Of course, TOS started that "crap". "The Naked Time", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "Assignment: Earth", "All Our Yesterdays", and "City on the Edge of Forever" all included time travel. And then Trek IV, as well, before Next Generation came along.

*Some* time travel is inevitable, in any Star Trek, given its pedigree. Essentially making a whole show about it was a mistake. Unfortunately Enterprise was well and truly done by then. Nothing was going to save it. Nothing was going to bring back the audience that they had lost.

Remove ads