Your favourite Trek?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Star Trek TOS is my favorite flavor of Trek + their movies (a few particular titles excepted).
After that, my next favorite is DS9.

Another reminder why I liked DS9 so much was the episode Defiant I watched yesterday. And Civil Defense that I watched the day before. The Cardassians are just great. A large part of that might be Marc Alaimo and Andrew Robinson work as actors, but it's also in the dialogues.
In Defiant there is a scene where the Obsidian Order observer remarks on Sisko's strategic talents - and at the same time insults Dukat. And in the beginning, she greeted him with great friendliness, only t turn around and tell the other officers to lock up everythnig that Sisko better shouldn't see. Behind every smile, there is a knife.

My favourite ever Star Trek novel was a TOS-era one, My Enemy My Ally by Diane Duane. It's basically Star Trek without the budgetary restrictions - a truly widely-varied-species crew, including my favourite character Ensign Neraht, the first Horta in Starfleet, a great investigation of Romulan society and culture, an epic rescue behind enemy lines, some of the best ship-to-ship combat I've read, and excellent characterisations of both the established crew and new characters. Oh, and a Doctor Who reference snuck in there too.

Other than that, most of Peter David's novels were worth checking out, and I particularly enjoyed Vendetta, an epic Borg novel written in the wake of the Best of Both Worlds two-parter, before later series diluted the Borgs' threat.
I read several Diane Duane books, and I enjoyed them all. She had also some pretty fantastic science fiction in several of them - anything involving the spider scientist K'tlk (or K's'tlk?), for example, or Doctor's Order with intelligent rocks. :)

My favorite might however be "The Final Reflection" from John M. Ford. Someone else mentioned the book before. It is now basically "canon-violating", due the different take on Klingons in TNG and DS9. If there ever is a Trek reboot, in my opinion the Klingons would do well with mixing these elements. I love Bat'leths or the idea that the Klingons killed their gods, but I also love Klin Zha and the whole concept of Thought Admirals and a more strategists thinking. The canon Klingons are a bit too... thick, sometimes. Also, if the Klingons are great warriors that like to conquer their neighbours, the Final Reflection has better answers what happens to those than the TNG/DS9 Klingons do. (E.g. it has answers at all, and they make sense.)

Last edited:

I can't pick a favourite.

I like DS9 as a TV show. It was dark and honest and excellent in a way no other Trek was. It touched on serialized narratives and dealt with questions that couldn't be answered in 60 minutes. But it was really a different show set in the Trek universe.

The characters and their stories really made TNG. I loved them and grew with them. There were some amazing episodes. But it also lasted twice as long as TOS.
I remember hating Picard as a kid. I wanted him to die and Riker to take over since he was more like Kirk. It's a testament to the show, the acting, and the stories that they made me care about this older captain that very much wasn't what I wanted in charge of the Enterprise.

But you never forget your first. And that's still TOS. I was watching it years before TNG premiered and I loved so much of the show. It had a huge influence on me and I cannot say how many times I watched the movies.

Ryujin

Legend
I can't pick a favourite.

I like DS9 as a TV show. It was dark and honest and excellent in a way no other Trek was. It touched on serialized narratives and dealt with questions that couldn't be answered in 60 minutes. But it was really a different show set in the Trek universe.

The characters and their stories really made TNG. I loved them and grew with them. There were some amazing episodes. But it also lasted twice as long as TOS.
I remember hating Picard as a kid. I wanted him to die and Riker to take over since he was more like Kirk. It's a testament to the show, the acting, and the stories that they made me care about this older captain that very much wasn't what I wanted in charge of the Enterprise.

But you never forget your first. And that's still TOS. I was watching it years before TNG premiered and I loved so much of the show. It had a huge influence on me and I cannot say how many times I watched the movies.

That's why I'm still holding out hope for "Star Trek: Axanar." It deals with a subject that has rarely been dealt with outside of DS9; Star Fleet at war.

MechaPilot

Explorer
My ideal next Trek series would be something dark, like the new BSG dark, set during the Eugenics wars on Earth. They could even cap off the final episode of the series with Khan and his people going into space, to be later found by Kirk.

Remove ads