D&D 5E Does Deafness interfere with Verbal Components?

Xeviat

Hero
I'm straining to find the value in the deafness component of the "Blindness/Deafness" spell. Classically, it interferes with verbal components (so much so that many CRPGs use "deafened" as a way to shut down spellcasters, where some use "silenced"). "Realistically" (I loath to use the word here), being deafened can interfere with one's ability to control their pitch.

Verbal component specifies (from the SRD):

Most spells require the chanting of mystic words. The words themselves aren't the source of the spell's power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion. Thus, a character who is gagged or in an area of silence, such as one created by the silence spell, can't cast a spell with a verbal component.

It doesn't specify deafened.

The blindness/deafness spell doesn't specify spellcasting.

The deafened condition doesn't specify this either.

So what's the point? By RAW, it looks like deafness doesn't interfere with casting spells with verbal components. If not, then why would one ever want to deafen someone? How is it equivalent to blindness?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Being deaf makes you immune to some spells and magical effects (like a harpy's luring song, compulsion, dissonant whispers, divine word, and vicious mockery), so it can circumstantially be used as a "buff".

But no, it isn't equal to the effect that being blind has - but I don't feel that it needs to be because deafening someone has enough use as-is.

Horwath

Legend
Some creatures are blind by nature and use echolocation to "see". Being deaf for them is being blind.

AS for spellcasting, in 3.5 I think that it was 20% chance of misscast of verbal components if you are deaf. Especially for temporary or recent deafness.

Being permanently deaf, you could learn to speak normally(more or less) as deaf people do, I you wouldn't have casting problems.

Cast deafness to help stealth checks v deafened sentries.
To discuss secret plans.
I'd say thinking aloud here that it might help v charms if they are of the silver tongue variety rather than the look into my eyes sort (hard to judge except case by case).
Cast deafness to cover an explosion then immediately dispel it (what a curious thing, not long enough to make people scared just enough to mask a noise).

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I recall, I believe it was 3rd? Probably before as well - Deafness gave 20% chance of spell failure, for spells with a verbal component.

These days though.. doesn't seem so. I guess it's up to the DM.

Personally I'd apply some penalty, at least if the deafness was inflicted upon someone/something that is used to being able to hear, simply because it can be very disorientating. Of course, if they were born deaf then.. well, we'd have to explore how they learnt spells with a verbal component to begin with. Some form of fantasy brail seems plausible, and a deaf mentor to teach it.

Shiroiken

Legend
By RAW it does not, but the DM could declare that there is a chance of failure. I would probably require a Concentration Check (DC:5-10, not sure exactly where), but a flat percent would work too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't see it - hearing yourself would help how? Oh you just mispronounced a word... well you just messed up the spell did you? Too late now. Permanent deafness would be more of an issue IMO.

cooperjer

Explorer
I'm raising this one from the grave because the same question about use came up in a conversation recently. The goal of the player was to find a sorcerer spell that helps in controlling wizards. They asked about silence, which is not a sorcerer spell, but I recommended Blindness / Deafness which helps control some of the spells from a wizard. In the discussion some benefits of deafness were mentioned, but I noticed the spell has the text "You can blind or deafen a foe." Therefore, deafening an ally would be prohibited by this spell. I had thought I read some discussion about classifying a foe vs. an ally in particular to this spell, but my searching on the net does not find it.

Do your players use this spell? If so, do you ignore the "foe" text in the spell?

When I mentioned this "foe" text to the player during the discussion, her immediate response, was effectively, I can choose who my foes are at any time. I have a feeling the intent is that a character does not choose foes at any time, but then again why not choose your friend to be a foe for a round.

guachi

Hero
The first sentence of a spell is often flavor text. It's not outright stated anywhere but it's the sense you get after reading the descriptions of dozens of spells. This isn't universal.

"You can blind or deafen a foe" has no mechanical effect on how the spell works. You can delete the sentence if you wish. "Choose one creature that you can see within range" is the relevant text on whom can be targeted.

Remove ads