D&D 5E [GUIDE] I Fought the Law and Won: The Rogue Guide

thenannymoh

First Post
You don't get Sneak Attack again with the extra attack from that feat. And that attack only comes when you either crit or kill with an attack, which means you already used Sneak Attack on your turn. That makes GWM still not worth it for Rogues, since you're adding comparatively negligible damage.

Yes, good point...that extra attack would only be useful if you had a weapon that provided extra damage that would be doubled in a crit, and even then only in the right circumstances. You would have to weight the chance of the widened crit range (BM feat) with the reward that you know couldn't include sneak.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Mr. Legis(or anyone in this thread), what is your thoughts on Hexblade Warlock as a multiclass option?

I'm not seeing a real use-case for it. You still need DEX for AC and Initiative so it's not like you can dump it and go CHR-only for a party face. SA requires a finesse or ranged weapon so you can't deliver with EB. Shield spell is nice, but you start with 1 per short rest which may not overcome the opportunity cost of another level of rogue. Hexblade's curse is nice with expanded crit range so you can double your SA dice more often, but bonus damage per attack doesn't get leverages as well as it could when you are forgoing EB. And it's one target per short rest.

Now, if you started with it for medium armor, you only need a 14 DEX for max AC and can go CHR-focused easier. And if you go up a bit to get invocations the classic Devil's Sight/Darkness combo can work. Would work with any warlock (and just staying Dex), this option would just let you be more CHR focused.

Pencilstubs

First Post
Hoping to get some advice for the Rogue/Warlock I'm currently playing. I'm currently playing in a 3 man party with a cleric and a homebrewed class that's not very helpful in terms of combat, so I'm trying to pick up the slack as best I can. Variant Human with Inspiring Leader to try to give us some breathing room when combat doesn't go well. So far I've put three levels into Rogue up to Swashbuckler, and 2 levels into Warlock with the Archfey patron. I might spend the next 5 levels in Warlock if Greater Invisibility is worth it, but I haven't really planned that far ahead. Any advice is appreciated!

Also hoping someone can clarify this for me:

The Warlock multiclass section of the guide states that Booming Blade is a must-have, but also mentions taking Thirsting Blade for the extra attack if you go with Pact of the Blade. From what I understand, Extra Attack and Booming Blade do not work together. If that's true, then is it still worth going Pact of the Blade? Am I better off using the Extra Attack or Booming Blade?

With all the new Eldritch Invocations in Xanathar's Guide, I'm suddenly overwhelmed with choices!

gyor

Legend
Shadow Blade is a useful spell for many classes, but it's almost custome made for the Arcane Trickster, an Illusion Spell, the weapon has the light, finesse, and thrown traits, and in dim light or darkness it grants advantage to attacks.

mellored

Legend
Hoping to get some advice for the Rogue/Warlock I'm currently playing. I'm currently playing in a 3 man party with a cleric and a homebrewed class that's not very helpful in terms of combat, so I'm trying to pick up the slack as best I can. Variant Human with Inspiring Leader to try to give us some breathing room when combat doesn't go well. So far I've put three levels into Rogue up to Swashbuckler, and 2 levels into Warlock with the Archfey patron. I might spend the next 5 levels in Warlock if Greater Invisibility is worth it, but I haven't really planned that far ahead. Any advice is appreciated!
Tough choice.
Since you have another caster, probably go rogue 5 to get +2 Dex, extra sneak attack, and uncanny dodge. Then back to warlock.

The Warlock multiclass section of the guide states that Booming Blade is a must-have, but also mentions taking Thirsting Blade for the extra attack if you go with Pact of the Blade. From what I understand, Extra Attack and Booming Blade do not work together. If that's true, then is it still worth going Pact of the Blade? Am I better off using the Extra Attack or Booming Blade?
Yea, pick one or the other.
The more warlock, the better booming blade is, since it auto-scales.
The more rogue, the better multi-attack is, since you scale by sneak attack.

Xanathar's updates are up. Scout is good (very good at higher levels). Inquisitive is not.

Also the few new spells Arcane Tricksters get access to are meh for the most part.

mellored

Legend
I think your underrating insightful fighting, or overrating rakish audacity a sky blue. (maybe both).

With expertise and min 8/10 roll, it's a pretty reliable way to get sneak attack, at any range, no matter who is around. An elf inquisitor can use sneak attack against a mob, while alone, in the middle of an open field, at 120'.
Also Wis as secondary is better than Cha as secondary.

It lacks the +inititive, so not as good, but i don't see it as 3 colors worse either.

Remove ads