D&D 5E [GUIDE] I Fought the Law and Won: The Rogue Guide

I just checked back and caught that Insightful Fighting can be activated at any range, so that does make it a lot more useful. Bumps the archetype up to black as well overall, I'd say.

mellored

Legend
Just to put some math behind it.

+2 wis + 2 skill + 2 expertise = +6, with minimum roll of 8
vs a 10 Cha enemy

= 91.60% chance of success. (93.45% if you win ties. I don't remember).

At level 20 (including min 10), vs a 14 Cha enemy, it's 98.95%.

Kevtron

First Post
Yea, pick one or the other.
The more warlock, the better booming blade is, since it auto-scales.
The more rogue, the better multi-attack is, since you scale by sneak attack.\

This part isn't true. Cantrips like this scale with character level, not class level (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/04/eldritch-blast-scale/), so you can still have a high Booming Blade even with only a couple levels in Warlock.

Though how much to dip into Warlock is my current debate as well. I'm thinking on dropping into Warlock from Swashbuckler for only 3 levels. That would give Booming Blade, Hex, 2 Invocations (thinking Mask of Many Faces & Misty Vision for some serious deceptive fun~), access to 2nd level spells (Invis and Suggestion^^), and a weapon out of thin air if I need it. Level 5 would give Thirsting Blade, but since you can't use it with Booming I'm not sure it's worth the loss of more Sneak Attack dice as well as Slippery Mind.

the_redbeard

Explorer
Xanathar's updates are up. Scout is good (very good at higher levels). Inquisitive is not.

Also the few new spells Arcane Tricksters get access to are meh for the most part.

Curious about how multi-classing Sorcerer would be with the Shadow Magic origin. At 1st level, you get 120' dark vision so become a better party scout. At 3rd level you get a reliable way to gain Advantage and Sneak Attack with magical darkness that you can see through. Plus cantrips like Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Friends and 1st level spells like Shield and Disguise Self. All handy for a rogue.

(AL players wouldn't be able to be a Shadow Sorcerer and still get Booming Blade, but we're not all AL players.)

Kevtron

First Post
Find Familiar: Conjuration; 1 hour; V,S,M*. No reason to take any other spell with your free choice at this level. All the advantage you could ever want is there for the taking, via the familiar's Help action that requires none of your own actions. (The Owl's Flyby is especially good for that.) And then there's the also-awesome-for-scouting ability to see and hear through your familiar up to 100 feet away.

Something I've found in my further readings that's important to keep in mind, is that due to the familiar rolling it's own initiative it's not actually "all the advantage you could ever want" since their help action gives advantage to the next player, which may not be you.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/854020028949086208
If you use the attack-aiding option in Help, the next ally who attacks the target gets the benefit.

Something I've found in my further readings that's important to keep in mind, is that due to the familiar rolling it's own initiative it's not actually "all the advantage you could ever want" since their help action gives advantage to the next player, which may not be you.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/854020028949086208

The Rogue can Ready their action for when the familiar uses Help, however. Thus getting the advantage from it that way.

Kevtron

First Post
The Rogue can Ready their action for when the familiar uses Help, however. Thus getting the advantage from it that way.

quite true. There are definitely ways to get it still, but in this case you'd be giving up Cunning Action to hide or dash, and using your reaction for this. I think that's rather a fair trade for always-on advantage personally.

I also don't have a problem just giving it to my teammates either ^^

taj1994

Villager
Now that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is out, I'm wondering about how you would rank the gith and the other subraces added by the book. It adds:

• nine tiefling subraces (Asmodeus*, Baalzebul, Dispater, Fierna, Glasya, Levistus, Mammon, Mephistopheles, Zariel)
  • three elf subraces (eladrin, sea elf, and shadar-kai)
  • duergar**
  • gith (githyanki and githzerai)
  • deep gnome**

*This subrace is the same as the standard tiefling from the Player's Handbook
**These are the same as the ones added by the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (deep gnome), and the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (deep gnome and duergar). I'm just including them here because they're in the book

Last edited:

Remove ads