D&D 5E Dropping your sword during the enemy's turn?

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Sounds like your real problem is with 5e Fighters and feats in general. Yes, they are powerful, but doing this isn't broken. As mentioned above, whose to say a monster wouldn't eat the fighter's sword, or it get kicked into a fireplace, or stolen by a wiry goblin that happened to be watching the combat waiting for something valuable and the opportunity to grab it.

I don't see knowing the parameters of the class well as a problem. I like the fighter and I don't think it is overpowered as a class, I'm just not going to pretend like giving the functions of a feat for free is fair and balanced. Most monsters in the MM won't be able to hit you without a crit with that set up, so it won't matter.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I don't see knowing the parameters of the class well as a problem. I like the fighter and I don't think it is overpowered as a class, I'm just not going to pretend like giving the functions of a feat for free is fair and balanced. Most monsters in the MM won't be able to hit you without a crit with that set up, so it won't matter.

I don't see it as giving the feat for free. He's not asking to make an attack of opportunity with a cantrip or getting advantage on a concentration check, and he's not casting with his hands full. He's dropping his sword to make a reaction effect, which carries with it the risk that he may not get his sword back. It's a one-time thing, and if you can see the player abusing your decision, you can easily make life harder by taking away his sword after he drops it.

If anything, the aspect of the feat that you believe this player is "getting for free" is the weakest aspect of the feat, and the one that is least likely to be regularly followed by the RAW (much like encumbrance rules).

I wouldn't allow dropping items or releasing the grip on a two handed weapon out of turn. I'd make the player pick a stance on his turn, either holding the weapon with both hands and ready to make an opportunity attack with it, or holding it in one hand, unable to attack with it but ready to cast reaction spells.

ironmat24

First Post
I allow a focus to be used for somatic and not just material components. It's a house rule but the only thing that makes sense IMO, sorcerers need to be able to wave their wands and make magic happen.

So, you would allow a paladin or a cleric with a emblem on their shields(spell focus) to cast a spell such as shield with their hands full, but not an eldritch knight?

I'm not sure I like these house rules of yours :p

Remove ads