D&D 5E Dropping your sword during the enemy's turn?

ironmat24

First Post
A spellcaster must have a hand free to access components or to hold a spellcasting focus but it can be the same hand that perform somatic components.

Yes, but in case of a paladin or cleric's shield with an emblem on it, it'd still require a free hand if the spell requires a somatic component. Even if you don't need a free hand since your spellcasting focus is drawn on your shield as an emblem. Sorcerers Apprentice took care to mention that he houserules that you need no free hand for somatic spells if you got a spellfocus on your staff. I assume it's the same with shields and emblem.

It seems unfair to me for half the spellcasting classes.

Prism

Explorer
Yes, but in case of a paladin or cleric's shield with an emblem on it, it'd still require a free hand if the spell requires a somatic component. Even if you don't need a free hand since your spellcasting focus is drawn on your shield as an emblem. Sorcerers Apprentice took care to mention that he houserules that you need no free hand for somatic spells if you got a spellfocus on your staff. I assume it's the same with shields and emblem.

It seems unfair to me for half the spellcasting classes.

Its not a house rule. The hand holding the focus can also be used for somatic gestures. You could argue that this doesn't apply to a holy emblem on a shield since the focus is not held in hand - its on a shield strapped to your arm. But I think that's being fussy.

Everyone else puts their weapon away to cast (just an interaction)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Its not a house rule. The hand holding the focus can also be used for somatic gestures.
It is a house-rule to allow that to be the case when there is a somatic component to the spell, but no material component.

But it is a house-rule that I use, encourage, and am never surprised when people implement it without being aware that it isn't how the rules are written.

I'd allow it but ...

Make a Dex save to avoid dropping your sword point-first onto your foot. Success means you can go ahead with your reaction spell. Failure means you take 1 weapon die of damage (e.g. 1d8) and can't cast the spell.

Makes it more exciting.

I do similar in my games.

Drop an item and I may roll a d20, with a low roll indicating breakage. Frequency and chance of breakage depends on the item.

ccs

41st lv DM
Its not a house rule. The hand holding the focus can also be used for somatic gestures. You could argue that this doesn't apply to a holy emblem on a shield since the focus is not held in hand - its on a shield strapped to your arm. But I think that's being fussy.

Everyone else puts their weapon away to cast (just an interaction)

And that's different from this whole discussion how?

Seriously, if some one at one of the games I play in tried to argue that there's some rule preventing you from dropping something when you go to use the hand holding it to do something else? Everyone around the table would stare at them as if they were an idiot. (even if they were technically right). Someone would probably say as much as well.

So, you would allow a paladin or a cleric with a emblem on their shields(spell focus) to cast a spell such as shield with their hands full, but not an eldritch knight?

I'm not sure I like these house rules of yours :p
Sure, if they could find a way to add Shield to the cleric or paladin spell list. Otherwise they would have to use a focus usable by the class they learned Shield with.

Prism

Explorer
And that's different from this whole discussion how?

Seriously, if some one at one of the games I play in tried to argue that there's some rule preventing you from dropping something when you go to use the hand holding it to do something else? Everyone around the table would stare at them as if they were an idiot. (even if they were technically right). Someone would probably say as much as well.

I was replying to a different point about whether you can make somatic gestures as a cleric or paladin by using their shield. As to the original question, I am perfectly happy for someone to drop a weapon either on or off their turn to cast a spell.

Prism

Explorer
Why? Pretty much every game I have played, a caster uses a weapon in one hand and gestures with the other.

If that's the case there is no problem then. I have seen several characters who typically had both hands full when wanting to cast a spell - a cleric, a rogue arcane trickster, a bard, a paladin. There is no issue really though. They just put a weapon away to cast a spell and then use a component pouch if required.

Remove ads