D&D 5E To The Strongest: A Mercenary Story

Trogdor1992

First Post
Artemis chuckles, and says "Let the fool dog Patroklos expect us, the battle will only be more honorable if he looks in my eyes while I run him through."

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Thateous

Explorer
Mercutio looks a Feyson curiously before realizing, "Oh my apologies, I meant types of units. What was the make-up of the units at the fort. If a distraction is needed I could provide one for a bit."

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mercutio looks a Feyson curiously before realizing, "Oh my apologies, I meant types of units. What was the make-up of the units at the fort. If a distraction is needed I could provide one for a bit."

OOC: We weren't given specifics in the PM. Jago do our characters know these details?

River Song

Explorer
"From memory most of his units are heavy infantry phalanx troops like mine with supporting skirmishers and the like," Theo answers.

"This is why fighting head-to-head may not be the best course for the style of company we have." he shrug. "He will want us to meet him in pitched battle, if we take the fort without dealing with the outlying troops we will be trapped in a siege without heavy troops, not a good place to be."

Jago

Explorer
OOC: Apologies for not being clear on that: Theo gave the right of it and it matches what was seen at the fort: aside from the watchtowers which generally had lighter, missile troops to guard them, the majority of patrols were on foot and were definitely heavy infantry of a sort: good armor, spears, shields, swords, the whole package.

While you did see horses within the fort and at the building outside of it, they mostly seemed to be tied up and awaiting riders rather than having mounted patrols. It stands to reason that they have cavalry, but they would need to actually mount their horses before they could actually serve as cavalry (which, naturally, would take time to get a whole Stand together).

For convenience, I have created a little map that the Scouts will have drawn and share with the team (you're going to want to click the link).

Map of Fort and grounds

Attachments

• Fort.png
    Fort.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 186

"Theo is correct. Mostly heavy infantry with archers guarding the watchtowers in the forest. I saw some horses tied up outside the fort. However it look like they would need to muster their cavalry before they can field them. Giving our infantry time to disengage if needed."

One of Feyson's soldiers enters the tent and hands him a rolled up piece of cloth. Feyson nods and thanks the man. He unrolls the cloth showing a hastily drawn map.

"This is a basic layout of the fort and towers. One of my men drew this while we scouted." Feyson points to the map as he speaks. "Without significant support from the Queen our troops will be ground down by direct conflict with Patroklos's heavy infantry. Luckily there is plenty of forest to provide cover if they attempt to engage us directly."

Shayuri

First Post
"There's forests, yeah," agrees Aridha, "But until those towers are taken care of, we don't control the forest. Taking them out should be the first thing we do. Once we have them, gettin' the ones patrolling'll be easier."

"It's not going to be quick, or pretty...but once the men outside the fort are taken out, and the towers are ours, we ken take the fort."

Thateous

Explorer
Mercutio nods in agreement. "Perhaps we could approach from the north and attempt to overrun the two towers here," he says standing and pointing to the towers on the map before continuing. "We would send our faster units to the southern tower. Once taken we would blow the eastern gate with the balista. With the gate breached we take the fort." Mercutio sits back down and takes a deep breath. "Easier said than done though."

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Not a bad plan, my horsemen not fare too well in a tower, however. Perhaps my troops can help cut off any who would provide backup for the towers?" Artemis says to the others.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

River Song

Explorer
Theo shakes his head,"I think that is a bad idea. Patroklos' force would love for us to pen ourselves in. Our men cannot hold a fort against that many heavy infantry."

"How far our where the patrols? I assume they were not just staying within sight of the tower?"
he asks the scouts.

"They have mounted troops in there, which means that we can try to make them give chase."
he mimes people leaving the towers, "Once they have done that, the pack pounces and wipes them out. Wolves do not attack a whole herd at once. We pick off or separate our prey and destroy it in isolation. For me assaulting the towers with any intent to hold them while the majority of his force is intact is folly. We would be giving up our only advantage; mobility."

Remove ads