D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Non-traditional games are often quite swing-y in terms of interest. You might draw a few people, like this one (so far) or you might get a flood.

By the way, interested, but just reading along for now, as I claw my way back to activity.

Jago

Explorer
i like the idea of what you have above, have you thought of having the cataclysm tie into the Atlantis myth? The Harrowing occurred on Atlantis, obliterating the island and the resultant Tsunami devastated much of the know world (akin the to the great biblical floods)?

This is a possibility, although I'd rather stay a little away from Atlantis, as that brings its own host of issues. Very Mage The Awakening, there. It also kinda separates the incident from the rest of the world, as it makes it more "The mages of Atlantis did this!" instead of "All Mages did this!".

Hmmm ... Maybe. Maybe. See how this develops.

I think I'd be interested in playing a rogue, halfling maybe?

Both would be applicable, indeed

Wow that first page was just a brain dump of world expansion. Here's some more:
Do dragonborn exist and if so what is thought of their breath weapon? Teiflings? Orc and their half partners? What about the races that get minor magic like high elves and some gnome?

Loving the concept and setting. Curious if a barbarian still has any place in this society.

Dragonborn certainly exist, though I'd say that things like Tieflings and Dragonborn probably make up like 1% of the population. These folks are quite rare. As for the Breath Weapon, it would probably be treated like Elven and Gnomish Magic, or Darkvision for lots of races, or any other number of racial abilities: considered odd, but natural for those folk. Granted, Dragonborn and Tieflings would probably be looked at more suspiciously, but not immediately just thrown out. Maybe. That's not a very enlightened world view, after all ;)

Orcs and Half-Orcs exist, although I'm far more tempted to baaasically just merge them. The playable Half-Orc is just "Orc". Of course, I'm open to other ideas as well. I just find this a little easier, unless we legit want to come up with Orcs in this setting and how the Halfs happen.

For Barbarians, There are certainly still ways to represent them. Warriors beyond the City-States that subsist in the wild could definitely be more "barbarous" in nature, considering the challenges they face. But even soldiers in the Cities could be filled with anger or an overwhelming store of strength and fury in battle: just because the word is "Barbarian" does not mean uncivilized. Even the Totem Paths could be representative of someone trying to keep some of those Old Gods alive.

Non-traditional games are often quite swing-y in terms of interest. You might draw a few people, like this one (so far) or you might get a flood.

By the way, interested, but just reading along for now, as I claw my way back to activity.

I'm actually enjoying the Not-Flood, to be honest. Again, I'd like to keep this no more than 5 people and form a pretty tight-knit group and some very character-driven stories.

Glad to hear about the interest! Take your time, we're still working out the setting as it is (which you are more than welcome to contribute to, of course).

River Song

Explorer
I am thinking of a Fighter/Battlemaster with a Courtier background.

Archer (a great eye is a great eye), painter (the human form in all its glorious beauty), gentleman (rarely, but pretences must be maintained) and seducer (a man needs a hobby).

Giovanni Bellini Antonello da Messina, ever so humbly, at your service. :)

I will try and get a character working in the next day or so.

Thateous

Explorer
So any preference on what we are? As in if I make a Dwarven Barbarian, read berserker, and make him apart of the city states militia , would that work?

I imagine him wanting to join a proper outfit but being turned down for his reckless tactics in battle and difficulty working in and with a squad.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

pathfinderq1

First Post
I can see, especially after 150 years of recovery and civilization, something where many of the 'old cities' were in fact destroyed during the Harrowing, blasted by the magics that were unleashed (leaving ruins which could be explored). In addition to actual mages, many of those with magical potential were drained dry (killed or effectively magic-dead) in the process, and the talents have been slow to recover, both in numbers and in power.

Most of the shorter-lived races have only legends to go on regarding what wizards can actually do- and that opinion has been carefully manipulated by the few actual wizards, for their own purposes. Coming to a true understanding of wizards and their abilities, both actual and potential, could be a relevant point.

Shall ruminate a bit. It also sounds like some of Guy Gavriel Kay's books might be useful reading (especially the Sailing to Sarantium books). I will probably mine my 7th Sea books for ideas as well.

As far as characters go, maybe one of these:
1. A Knowledge priestess of the Maker, MC Bard, who is only beginning to understand that when she sings certain hymns sometimes things happen- whether it is divine or magical will need to be found out...
2. A mage-hunting monk- whose principles will be tested as more of the truth about wizards is discovered...
3. A foreigner, a warrior from across the sea (either claiming to be an ambassador, or bodyguard to one) who seeks answers that could not be found in her homeland...

Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
So any preference on what we are? As in if I make a Dwarven Barbarian, read berserker, and make him apart of the city states militia , would that work?

I imagine him wanting to join a proper outfit but being turned down for his reckless tactics in battle and difficulty working in and with a squad.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
If you're gonna go Dwarf, I might also and go Battlerager, that's fighter right?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Thateous

Explorer
If you're gonna go Dwarf, I might also and go Battlerager, that's fighter right?

Barbarian, but i thought you were going trickster rogue? You're just going to take everything I want to bearen't you Trog...

I think it would be hilarious to be battlerager brothers.

Trogdor1992

First Post
Well if it's barbarian, then I'll stay Rogue, but maybe Dwarf, can I have a finesse battleaxe?

Remove ads