D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

Jago

Explorer
I can see, especially after 150 years of recovery and civilization, something where many of the 'old cities' were in fact destroyed during the Harrowing, blasted by the magics that were unleashed (leaving ruins which could be explored). In addition to actual mages, many of those with magical potential were drained dry (killed or effectively magic-dead) in the process, and the talents have been slow to recover, both in numbers and in power.

Most of the shorter-lived races have only legends to go on regarding what wizards can actually do- and that opinion has been carefully manipulated by the few actual wizards, for their own purposes. Coming to a true understanding of wizards and their abilities, both actual and potential, could be a relevant point.

Shall ruminate a bit. It also sounds like some of Guy Gavriel Kay's books might be useful reading (especially the Sailing to Sarantium books). I will probably mine my 7th Sea books for ideas as well.

As far as characters go, maybe one of these:
1. A Knowledge priestess of the Maker, MC Bard, who is only beginning to understand that when she sings certain hymns sometimes things happen- whether it is divine or magical will need to be found out...
2. A mage-hunting monk- whose principles will be tested as more of the truth about wizards is discovered...
3. A foreigner, a warrior from across the sea (either claiming to be an ambassador, or bodyguard to one) who seeks answers that could not be found in her homeland...

I will admit, a bit of The Maker is pretty inspired by The Vaticine Church from 7th Sea. Theus is such a righteous God, in all definitions of that word.

I do like the idea that magic effectively ... went away for some time, and has only really been coming back in strength over the past couple of decades. Like the last 50 years or so, about 2 generations' worth. It adds depth to the idea that magic is this truly special force, and even in an age of growing science it is not entirely understood (despite schools forming around analyzing different "Traditions" of it). That concept alone really solidifies the idea that a lot was lost and is not recovered, leading many to even wonder just how much was really wiped out by The Harrowing. The existence of destroyed ruins and the like I 100% agree with, solid adventuring stuff and lore there.

I will admit I am not familiar with the work of Guy Gavriel Kay, but inspiration is all welcome.

For the characters, I like all three. They've all got an interesting bent to them and all seem to have a quest of their own to figure out, which I always love PCs to have a personal quest to achieve.

Like the Inquisitive Rogue

Having read it, I like the Inquisitive Rogue. Definitely fits the idea of like a spy or agent of some sorts, or even an assassin or city guard. All good stuff. I'm okay with this UA Option.

As for a Finesse battle axe, well, not really a weapon type that suits that descriptor. However, I am 100% for the idea of taking the Rapier's stats and just making it Slashing instead of piercing. Call it a Side-Sword, a Messer, what have you, and that's fine.

Jago

Explorer
Firearms are in, but expensive and finicky. They'll be Wheelock in nature, and expect to be paying close to 1,000 GP for one. Starting with one is not going to be an option, but they will be available after we being play

Jago

Explorer
Yes: Max Health at first, average for every level after, and starting equipment if equipment from your Class and Background. If you would like a substitution, I'd be willing to take a look as well.

And naturally, detailed background stories are kind of a must. For myself and the players to be building this setting together, please feel free to have character histories that include things like names of major people, cities and areas, organizations, etc. Consider it your own, personal touch upon the world, just please keep it all within the feel and tone of Renaissance Italy.

For example: competing noble families, merciless banking guilds, highwaymen and pirates, charismatic priests, eccentric inventors, charlatan artists, corrupt religious officials, pious thieves; these are all great to draw from for inspiration. This is a pretty diverse time period for history, with a lot of things meshing together for better (or worse), so go wild and we'll fine-tailor everything together to create a living setting.

Remove ads