D&D General Tech in DnD; What should be included and how much is too much? (+)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Maybe I'm mistaken what the Green Martians are, but isn't that what the Thri-Kreen as seen 8n Spelljammer are?
Yes essentially, though Green Martians were more reptilian than insectoid - they’re fifteen feet tall (females twelve feet). They have green skin, small antennae-like ears just above the eyes, and large tusks

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Maybe I'm mistaken what the Green Martians are, but isn't that what the Thri-Kreen as seen in Spelljammer are?
They're a rather monstrous sentient race from the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Most martians in the series resemble humans, but the green martians seem different enough from humans to warrant their own race entry. I'm not familiar with Spelljammer, but thri-kreen sound like one of those races that "might have come close" that I mentioned in the post you quoted.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
They're a rather monstrous sentient race from the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Most martians in the series resemble humans, but the green martians seem different enough from humans to warrant their own race entry. I'm not familiar with Spelljammer, but thri-kreen sound like one of those races that "might have come close" that I mentioned in the post you quoted.
The Thri-kreen have been around for awhile in D&D, going all the way back to the Monster Manual II from 1983, so some inspiration from the Green Martians seems likely.

They later spread to other campaign settings, like the Forgotten Realms, and were a major race in the Dark Sun setting.

GuyBoy

Hero
The Thri-kreen have been around for awhile in D&D, going all the way back to the Monster Manual II from 1983, so some inspiration from the Green Martians seems likely.

They later spread to other campaign settings, like the Forgotten Realms, and were a major race in the Dark Sun setting.
Way back in the early days of White Dwarf magazine, Don Turnbull did a series of articles called Monstermark ( kind of an early version of CR) and it featured green and red Martians. So the natives of Barsoom were a thing back in around 1977, at least in UK D&D circles.

Laurefindel

Legend
DMs are empowered to have as much or as little technology as they want. Why should we care what the default is??
In my experience, to many players, if it’s in the PHB; it’s fair game. And DMs, especially new ones, are less chastised for adding more stuff than banning things from the PHB.

This is neither in favour or against firearms in the PHB, just as to why I care about what is and isn’t default.

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
I would prefer for guns to be explicitly optional, and not default. A setting where satyrs and centaurs have shootouts with driders and illithids has limited appeal to me.

Remove ads