D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

mellored

Legend
Sorry if I missed it, but have you had any opinion on the concept of the Coffeelock?
???
You mean using aspect of the moon to avoid long rests and flexible casting to make spell slots?

It works by RAW, but I'm not sure how much it's worth.

For instance, a sorcerer 6/warlock 3.

8 hours * 2 slots * level 2 slots = 32 SP gained.
minus 4*2 (level 1) + 3*3 (level 2) + 3*5 (levle 3) + 6 (base SP) = 38 SP to rebuild your spell slots.

So you lose 6 SP worth of spell slots, and as a full heal.

Unless you mean something else by coffee.

Θ

Villager
???
You mean using aspect of the moon to avoid long rests and flexible casting to make spell slots?

It works by RAW, but I'm not sure how much it's worth.

For instance, a sorcerer 6/warlock 3.

8 hours * 2 slots * level 2 slots = 32 SP gained.
minus 4*2 (level 1) + 3*3 (level 2) + 3*5 (levle 3) + 6 (base SP) = 38 SP to rebuild your spell slots.

So you lose 6 SP worth of spell slots, and as a full heal.

Unless you mean something else by coffee.

More so the aspect of the build that builds up additional spell slots until you need your hit dice back, as you could heal with your unused HD during the short rests. Basically, short rests while the party long rests, building up additional spell slots. Then long rest when you run out of HD and lose all the spell slots.

mellored

Legend
More so the aspect of the build that builds up additional spell slots until you need your hit dice back, as you could heal with your unused HD during the short rests. Basically, short rests while the party long rests, building up additional spell slots. Then long rest when you run out of HD and lose all the spell slots.
8 short rests builds up less spell slots than 1 long rest.

You only get a benifit if your DM lets you sit around for days charging up slots.

If he allows that, then might as well take the hermit background and claim that you spend the 12 hours each day for the last 20 years building up spell slots, and now you have 87,600 level 4 spell slots.
See how that goes.

Θ

Villager
8 short rests builds up less spell slots than 1 long rest.

Yeah, but you might not need to refresh spell slots on your sorcerer side if you didn't find the need to cast anything. Otherwise it might just be a build up of additional spell slots.

You only get a benifit if your DM lets you sit around for days charging up slots.

As above, you'd get the benefit if you just didn't use up all your spell slots and spent time channeling your pact magic into your internal magic reserves.

If he allows that, then might as well take the hermit background and claim that you spend the 12 hours each day for the last 20 years building up spell slots, and now you have 87,600 level 4 spell slots.
See how that goes.

I dunno how sarcasm is the accepted response to bad rules writing... I mean, it is my fault for asking what you thought about it, sure. I playtest games for an indie dev and I know you have spent a long time (I used to talk to you on the WotC forums for 4e) optimizing characters based on the given rules. So I find it hard to see the backlash people have over using RAW for things like this.

mellored

Legend
As above, you'd get the benefit if you just didn't use up all your spell slots and spent time channeling your pact magic into your internal magic reserves.
I understand the premise.
But if your on a time pressured campaign, it's not going to work in your favor.

i dunno how sarcasm is the accepted response to bad rules writing...
It wasn't sarcasm. It was optimizing the exploit. That was a calculate number under reasonably assumptions.

Though maybe 43,800, if you assume you has to spend half your slots on day to day stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if having at-will 4th level spells breaks anything. You mostly have enough to last the day as is, and you can't stack concentration.

Arryn

Explorer
Does anyone else think it's odd that the Hexblade's weapon can't act as an Arcane Focus? The College of Swords get this and Bards don't even have access to shields. The Hexblade has proficiency in them, but the only way they can actually use a shield is to take Warcaster. It kind of seems like a Feat Tax to get the full AC benefits of the class. Seems like an oversight. Has there been any errata regarding this?

Remove ads