D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

mellored

Legend
Sir Red...UA Starter Spells

Do me the favor please
I bestow my favor upon you.

Cantrips:
Infestation: Not a bad spell by itself, but you have eldritch blast which does more damage, and can be augmented with forced movement. Con save would at least be different.
Toll the Dead: Again, not bad, but not eldritch blast. Wis save is different though.

Cause Fear: A very strong spell at low levels, particularly with disadvantage, but fails to scale. Still, it's only 1 save to shut down a melee enemy, who usually have weak Wis.
Healing Elixir: Not a huge amount, and doesn't scale, but it gives you a good way of spending extra spell slots before you rest. Particularly since you can recharge them each hour.
Puppet: Another one that fails to scale. Can be used to provoke oppertunity attacks.
Sense Emotion: A niche utility spell that doesn't scale. Not terrible for a Cha based class with at-will disguise.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions Red, but what do you think are some good hexblade/blade pact multi class options.

I'm at least going 5 level Warlock before I multi and would like to hear your ideas (as they almost always run parallel to mine).

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions Red, but what do you think are some good hexblade/blade pact multi class options.

I'm at least going 5 level Warlock before I multi and would like to hear your ideas (as they almost always run parallel to mine).
Rogue.
Paladin 2 or 6 or 7.
Battlemaster 3.

And if your multi-classing, there's even less reason to go blade. Hexblade/tome can work just as well, using booming blade or green flame blade, which scales by character level. So when your warlock 5/somethinig 6, you get the bump. Unless you really like summoning weapons.

pizzara1

First Post
i got a quick question concerning my hexblade:

the eldritch invocation "Thirsting Blade" is a must you said. how is this "double attack" working with the cantrip "Green Flame Blade" (or "Booming Blade")? Does it even work somehow (as far as i understand, it doesn't). If that is indeed the case, is "Thirsting Blade" still worth taking?

also, why the hell is "Lifedrinker" not healing me :mad:

mellored

Legend
i got a quick question concerning my hexblade:

the eldritch invocation "Thirsting Blade" is a must you said. how is this "double attack" working with the cantrip "Green Flame Blade" (or "Booming Blade")? Does it even work somehow (as far as i understand, it doesn't). If that is indeed the case, is "Thirsting Blade" still worth taking?
You cannot use both multi-attack and GFB.
So no, thirsting blade isn't worth taking, and thus Blade warlocks aren't worth taking. Be a hexblade with tome or chain instead.

The exception is if your going Great Weapon Master + Polearm master +20 Str + Advantage from your spells. Then the extra damage you get from those feats multiplies with thirsting blade and life drinker. 3 attacks with 1d10/1d4+17 damage will beat green flame blade.

also, why the hell is "Lifedrinker" not healing me :mad:
That was my first thought as well, which would have been more fun IMO.

Don't forget: grrenflame blade and boomkng blade are non core and enemies may be resistant to elemental damage. Also, if you use hex you only get to apply the d6 once.
So being a blade warlock has its merits. That said, as much as I like those cantrips, they had better been bonus actio spells that enhance your attacks in the current round. Like greenflame blade only adding int modifier to damage on adjacent targets. Maybe scaling with level, adding 1d4 damage only to the adjacent target.
That way it would be easier to understand how they work with twf. And it is still esppecially effective if you fight 2 enemies.

mellored

Legend
Mello, best 2 level 3 spells to take at level 5 as a Hexblade/Blade Warlock if you already have a magic weapon (So probably not elemental weapon)

Trade out magic weapon for elemental weapon. Trade back to magic weapon at level 7, and trade back to elemental weapon at level 11. It's a straight upgrade.

What's the rest of your party?

Darkness (+ devils sight) is more powerful than elemental weapon, but shorter lived. Consider the situation. Also try and pre-cast it to save an action.
Blink is good defense and has no concentration, but not good if you are the tank.
Fear would be good against groups, unless your fighting undead, then use hypnotic pattern.

Trade out magic weapon for elemental weapon. Trade back to magic weapon at level 7, and trade back to elemental weapon at level 11. It's a straight upgrade.

What's the rest of your party?

Darkness (+ devils sight) is more powerful than elemental weapon, but shorter lived. Consider the situation. Also try and pre-cast it to save an action.
Blink is good defense and has no concentration, but not good if you are the tank.
Fear would be good against groups, unless your fighting undead, then use hypnotic pattern.
Arcane trickster(shortbow) and Eldritch Knight(Sword and Board)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
EB seems really hard to exceed, and it's ranged.

If I'm playing a single-classed warlock (point buy, can't count on specific magic items), are any of the weapon builds superior then just spamming EB? Even including the UA articles. I'm talking a build played from 1st through 10th or 12th.

Hexblade or Tome+shillalagh for CHR to attacks just matches EB, but with less attacks (so less action from Hex and/or hexblade's curse) and at melee range. And likely has a smaller damage die.

Extra attack + make magic for bladelocks are nice for a weapon wielder but EB scales in attacks as well.

The "smite" invocations from UA might give more nova capability, but at the cost of your slots so you aren't doing anything else.

I'd like to justify building a melee warlock, but I just don't see a way I'm not gimping myself. Now, I'll do that for a concept I want to play, but it would be great if I'm not spending class features just to come in a distant second to the default.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases