D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

mellored

Legend
Does anyone else think it's odd that the Hexblade's weapon can't act as an Arcane Focus? The College of Swords get this and Bards don't even have access to shields. The Hexblade has proficiency in them, but the only way they can actually use a shield is to take Warcaster. It kind of seems like a Feat Tax to get the full AC benefits of the class. Seems like an oversight. Has there been any errata regarding this?
Odd, yes, but not really a problem. You only need 1 hand free for the initial casting, and get a free draw/stow action. So you could cast a spell then draw your sword on the same turn, or store your sword and cast, and you can re-place hex with your sword draw. Paladins and rangers have to deal with this all the time as well.

At worst, you will put your sword away to cast a spell, and have to punch at someone for your opportunity attack. But your probably going to cast on turn 1, and attack the rest of the battle, and enemies probably won't provoke even if you did. So it may only come up once in a campaign.

It's a very minor inconvenience, not a tax.

FullCaster

First Post
Does anyone else think it's odd that the Hexblade's weapon can't act as an Arcane Focus? The College of Swords get this and Bards don't even have access to shields. The Hexblade has proficiency in them, but the only way they can actually use a shield is to take Warcaster. It kind of seems like a Feat Tax to get the full AC benefits of the class. Seems like an oversight. Has there been any errata regarding this?

If you are playing a Pact of the Blade Hexblade then you can take the improved pact weapon invocation to treat your pact weapon as an arcane focus.

mellored

Legend
I want to do Tomelock with Hexblade. I don't have that option.
Yes, you can.

Hexblade your level 1 choice, tome/chain/blade is your level 3 choice. Use a sword and shield with booming blade / green flame blade and you can go into melee just fine.

You just need to juggle your sword on occasion.
Or get shillelagh as one of your extra cantrips, and cast it on a rod.
Or stick with shield and rod, and get a saving throw cantrip (sacred flame) to use in melee.

Harrumphreys

First Post

All the more reason to take Improved Pact Weapon as an Invocation.

Louis Tétrault

First Post
Will you rate the other invocations soon (cloak of flies and the likes)? I really like your work so far btw.

PS : The way Improved Pact Weapon is worded , RaW wise, it seems to me that you should keep it even if you get a magic weapon since it allows the benefits of Eldritch smite and Lifedrinker on the Eldritch Blast cantrip (never once is it worded as "melee weapon hit/attack" ; they all use the idea that you need to hit with the weapon and said weapon is treated as your focus via IPW, hence "hiting with it").

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Will you rate the other invocations soon (cloak of flies and the likes)? I really like your work so far btw.
Added.
Did I miss any others?

And you're welcome.

PS : The way Improved Pact Weapon is worded , RaW wise, it seems to me that you should keep it even if you get a magic weapon since it allows the benefits of Eldritch smite and Lifedrinker on the Eldritch Blast cantrip (never once is it worded as "melee weapon hit/attack" ; they all use the idea that you need to hit with the weapon and said weapon is treated as your focus via IPW, hence "hiting with it").
Hmm... you might be right. Though eldrich smite still wouldn't be much of a benifit, since prone would mean disavantage, and you could get more milage out of using spells for other things. (Still good for knocking down flying dragons). Lifedrinker would really put things over the top though, with the +1hit/damage that could potentially beat sharpshooter.

Though life drinker and eldrich smite both requires you to "hit a creature with the weapon", so I'm not sure hitting someone with eldritch blast cast though the weapon is the same thing.

I can't see any argument against improved pact weapon itself though. +1 to hit/damage is still a nice boost.

Can someone tweet JC and get an official ruling?

Last edited:

Louis Tétrault

First Post
Unholy shnitzle! Can it be that we would have found a loophole! I must admit the thing seems a bit OP... but lets wait for JC's answer.

Also, you are right about Smite, but the interest here would be on a 19+ crit. since you declare the use AFTER rolling to hit, and the crits double the amount of dices rolled, you could make a decent "NOVA" turn with it... adding 4, 5 or 6 D8, double on crit equals an average of 72, 90 and 108 extra damages... that's a hell of a truck load to take for a single hit, be it from afar or up close :p

PS: I think the invocations are good ... for some reason I thought you missed more than one !?

Last edited:

Remove ads