Monk Ability Priorities

AchwardSilence

First Post
In my continuing endeavor to make my monk character (thank you for the input to those who responded to my previous threads), I find myself at another crossroads: Ability scores.

I rolled two 16s and an 18. I'm prioritizing Con, Dex, and Wis, so as a half-elf I can increase two of those by 1. By Level 15, where the character is starting, I can have a 20, two 18s, and a feat; two 20s, a 16, and a feat; or two 20s, an 18, and no feat (ignoring the option of a 20 and two 19s).

Which option would you choose, and how would you prioritize the three? I don't know if AC, HP, or Wis modifier (which going Long Death helps determine the number of temp HP I get when I down opponents) is better.

For the record, if I take a feat, I'm looking at either Lucky, Tough, Martial Adept, or maybe Mobile (probing not Mobile). Also, with the MC I'll likely be doing, I'll already have two Combat Maneuvers but won't have Diamond Soul yet.

Thank you!

Yunru

Banned
Banned
IMO: Dex > Wis > Con.

This with only one caveat:
If you're walking a path that has a lot of Saving Throw abilities (Open Hand, Sun Soul, Four Elements), or just want to use Stunning Strike a lot, it may be more accurate to say:
Dex, Wis > Con

mellored

Legend
This with only one caveat:
If you're walking a path that has a lot of Saving Throw abilities (Open Hand, Sun Soul, Four Elements), or just want to use Stunning Strike a lot, it may be more accurate to say:
Dex, Wis > Con
Yes, but you can't use stunning strike if you miss the target, and if you do enough damage, you don't need to stun.
Both edge cases, but enough to bump Dex at 4, and Wis at 8.

RulesJD

First Post
Dex > Wis > Con

There really isn't any argument. Dex gives Monks too much additional stuff (AC, damage, to hit, Initiative, Deflect Arrows, Evasion, Acrobatics, Stealth) not to max it ASAP. Then Wis for saving throw DCs aka Stunning Strike.

mellored

Legend
Dex > Wis > Con

There really isn't any argument. Dex gives Monks too much additional stuff (AC, damage, to hit, Initiative, Deflect Arrows, Evasion, Acrobatics, Stealth) not to max it ASAP. Then Wis for saving throw DCs aka Stunning Strike.
Wis is also to AC, perception, and insight, open hand, and quivering palm.

Dex still wins, but it's not that big of a gap.

Zobmie

Explorer
I'll throw a vote in for the Mobile feat. I've found it to be invaluable. You increase your speed by 10 and when you make a melee attack against a creature you don't provoke opportunity attacks from them for the rest of the turn. Note that you don't have to hit them, just attack them.

It's been a fantastic feat for my Monk; at level 10 he's moving (if I remember correctly) 60 feet a turn (across walls or water) and smacking folks as he goes. Tons of fun.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Mobile is great, especially given the skirmisher nature of the Monk.
It's a shame, the Monk has 5 ASIs, and a fully optimised Monk wants to use at least 4 of them, 5 with Mobile.

Remove ads