Creamsteak

Explorer
Castle Illvithar: OOC, IC, RG

OOC: Our Party
Koregar - Male Mountain Dwarf Paladin
Siljar - Male Human Wizard
Naeriss - Male Drow Ranger
Whisper - Female Halfling Rogue

Your wrists are sore and your arms are tired. You awaken in darkness, your arms seemingly held aloft and your body suspended. Your full weight pulls down against some sort of iron shackles, wet with sweat and hard and sharp against your skin. As you pull and turn, attempting to determine your position, you realize that you are not alone. Your left hand is shackeled to one prison, your right hand to another. Your back is against a rounded cold stone column that provides little grip for your feet to give you traction. It is not unlike you are all strung up like carcasses left to bleed out.

OOC: Some information is available to characters with certain skills, languages, perception, etc. I will be putting that information in sblocks.

[sblock=Darkvision]You are elevated at most 1 foot off the ground if you are particularly tall, though Whisper would be suspended some 4 or 5 feet up. You are arranged in a circle around a column in the order clockwise of Koregar, Whisper, Siljar, Naeriss. The player to your right in order has their left hand attached to your right hand, and so on. These manacles are attached to lengths of chain that are mounted to the stone ceiling. The chains are quite rusted.

While the room is pitch black, Naeriss and Koregar can make out the faint outline of a coffin to the north. The stone is wet and rough, slightly shoddy. The manacles are simple enough. You appear to have all of your belongings, though nothing is in hand.[/sblock]

Silence best describes the circumstances. It is not clear how you got here, or even where here is. What had you done, or what was going to be done to you? The whole place smells of damp unlit cellars intended to keep things chilled. What do you do?

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 2,161
Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
After a brief struggle, Whisper froze in the black darkness. She had been in irons before, but never had it been accompanied by a such a sense of foreboding. Hearing struggles within close proximity to her, she did her best to press against the wall, trying to make herself as small as possible. Where am I? What am I doing here? Who are these people? The last thing she remembered had been escaping from the black-robed figure and fleeing into the slums of Waterdeep. After a few turns in an alley, everything went black. Well, I've got to do something...

Slowly, she raised her knees to her chest, trying to determine if any of her gear was still with her. She remained silent, waiting for someone else to speak.

Forged Fury

First Post
Sensing that her gear was largely in place, Whisper did her best to raise her legs up and crunched her abdominal muscles, raising herself even further. If any of the others had darvision, she was probably giving them a better show than what they would see in the Red Lantern District in Waterdeep. Suprisingly stable, she moved her belt pouch over to her hand and managed to fish out her lockpicks.

OOC: Acrobatics: [roll0]

Will a natural 20 do it?

tglassy

Adventurer
To say Koregar came to loudly would be an understatement.

"What the blasted nine hells is goin' on!" he bellowed out, turning left and right. His eyes easily adjusted to the darkness, which gave him an eyeful when he looked to his right as he saw a halfling lifting her legs up to her arms. "What the blue blazes are ya' doin', ya dolt girl? And why am i hangin' like a piece of meat!"

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Whisper froze, tensing her muscles to resist the thrashing of the chains next to her, hoping to avoid dropping her lockpicks. As the thrashing subsided, the halfing lowered her legs back down and began to work on unlocking the first manacle one-handed. In a harsh whisper, she responded, "No idea... but hush, I'm working here."

OOC: Dexterity (Thieve's Tools) to pick manacle lock (Second roll in case of Disadvantage): [roll0] or [roll1]

Creamsteak

Explorer
The dwarves yelling is met with a scratching sound coming from inside the wooden box to the north. Something moves in there.

As this happens, Whisper is able to unlock her right manacle, so her right arm and Siljar's left arm become unbound. That said, they're both now dangling from one arm.

OOC: Well I guess this one's going to go down by the numbers.

Initiatives
Naeris 18
Whisper 14
Something Fun 10
Siljar 7
Koregar 6

Feel free to entertain posting your reactions and in-character stuff at your leisure, no pressure there. I'll be going down the line though for anything that anyone wants to do as an action. So right now you can all role-play to your hearts content, but only Naeris can actually take a meaningful player action (or tell me they pass).

tglassy

Adventurer
Koregar sees the halfling train got pick the lock. The chain looks rusted, which means he might be able to break it, but he was sensible enough to let the halfling keep doin' what it was doin'. He stilled himself and the chain, and looked around to his surroundings, trying to figure out where he was.

OOC: History check on the stonework in the room. [roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
You can have this one for free.

[sblock=history-10]This is worked stone of crude make, likely the work of slaves, kobolds, or something else relatively unskilled. The rock here glistens a bit with tiny flecks of metal and crystal... you can't tell which from where you're at, but perhaps there was ore here once.[/sblock]

Remove ads