D&D 5E Longswords

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've discovered in my several 5E campaigns thus far that the longsword has fallen quite a ways away in terms of popularity and use. Now the reasons to me are obvious: almost half of the melee weapon users in my games go DEX, which means rapiers become the defacto d8 weapon... and of the STR users, half of those go two-handed. Which means probably only 1/4th of my melee combatants use one-handed non-finesse weapons, and there are like a half dozen of those to choose from. So longswords are few and far between.

Now for many DMs, that's probably not an issue... especially if longswords had always been the defacto weapon they always saw, in which this new paradigm is probably a welcomed change. But for me personally... I wish I saw more of them. And what best illustrates this oddity to me is that a race that is specifically called out as a one that would use and primarily should use longswords... that being the elves, due to their free proficiency in it... almost none of them actually do because it goes directly against their main stat bonus of +2 DEX. So I have yet to see an elf player forsake DEX to go STR specifically to use the longsword. (When they do go STR, they usually end up going two-handed heavy or polearm, like most other STR combatants I've seen.) Instead, it's rapier here, rapier there, rapier everywhere.

Where am I going with this? It's really just that-- I'm seeing at least 5 times as many rapier-users as I am longsword users, and it's become kind of irritating because I like the essence of the longsword as a D&D weapon more than I do the rapier. Thus I've come to the conclusion that I don't know if I really need two of virtually the same weapon, especially when one of those sides should be iconic but now doesn't even come close. After all... what is the difference between a longsword and a rapier? They are both martial, they are both 1d8 damage, they both are used with STR... but the longsword can be used two-handed for 1d10 damage while the rapier can also be used with DEX. And thus far... the latter has been way, way, way more of a deciding usage factor than the former.

So I'm considering making a change in my game that I think won't cause any real problems... but I wanted to throw it out there for opinion just in case I'm missing something that might screw things up that I don't realize. I'm considering removing the rapier from the game and instead adding the Finesse property to the longsword-- with possibly the extra rule that states you cannot use Finesse and Versatile properties together (so no 1d10 DEX weapon). But even that extra rule might not be necessary?

Are there any mechanical stumbling blocks or issues you can see by letting the longsword be a Finesse weapon (especially if I don't allow Finesse and Versatile to work together?) Thanks!

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Longsword should be:

One handed weapon,

damage 1d10 slashing, versatile 1d12(bump greataxe to 2d6 so it justifies 2handed/heavy traits).

same goes for battle axe and warhammer.

ccs

41st lv DM
I would just remove the rapier.
I would not add finesse to the longsword (1: because i don't see a finesse weapon when i look at a LS. 2: I don't believe everything has to map to create the optimum mix. Ok, so elves are both more dexterous and prefer longswords. So what?) Or if I did I'd only add it to Elven longswords. Kind of like the old elven chainmail. A perk that's extremely hard to get -even if you are an elf. An magic versions even more so.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I would just remove the rapier.
I would not add finesse to the longsword (1: because i don't see a finesse weapon when i look at a LS. 2: I don't believe everything has to map to create the optimum mix. Ok, so elves are both more dexterous and prefer longswords. So what?) Or if I did I'd only add it to Elven longswords. Kind of like the old elven chainmail. A perk that's extremely hard to get -even if you are an elf. An magic versions even more so.

I like this suggestion. I'd build on it by saying that Longswords (or any weapon, possibly only 1-handed) constructed with a certain material gives it the finesse trait. Even if its as "simple" as Mithril, having a Mithril Longsword could add the Finesse function. In this way it preserves the intention of the Longsword while also making the Rapier less of a go-to weapon.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I like this suggestion. I'd build on it by saying that Longswords (or any weapon, possibly only 1-handed) constructed with a certain material gives it the finesse trait. Even if its as "simple" as Mithril, having a Mithril Longsword could add the Finesse function. In this way it preserves the intention of the Longsword while also making the Rapier less of a go-to weapon.

Whereas I would caution against having a weapon with both the "versatile" and "finesse" traits under any circumstances. Dex is strong enough as it is. Having some options be sub-optimal isn't a game balance problem, it is the very essence of game balance.

At most, I would add a new weapon, the "sabre." Statistically identical to a rapier but a slashing weapon instead of a piercing. This works for campaigns where rapiers either don't exist (such as the bronze-age campaign I run myself) or otherwise don't fit thematically. A shortsword and a scimitar are identical except for the slashing vs. piercing bit, so there's precedent.

Remove the rapier. Give finesse to longswords and reintroduce the bastard sword. Which, coincidentaly worked out exactly as the longsword is working curently.

I had tried to introduce the elven made qualify for weapons but reintroducing the bastard sword works out way better.

This way, elves are happy, and players that want to use a one handed sword with two hands when they need a bit more punch can do it. Everyone get what they want.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I think this could be solved with a Fighting Style that favors longswords. I don't know what that would look like; dueling style is already pretty good, but it works just as well with rapiers. Maybe something like:

Balanced. When you make a Strength-based melee attack with a weapon that is neither heavy nor light, increase the weapon's damage die by one size. While you are wielding one or two melee weapons and neither is light or heavy, you get +1 AC.

Huh, this also solves the bastard sword problem... now a longsword in two hands is a viable competitor with the greatsword (less damage, but +1 AC).

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
I've discovered in my several 5E campaigns thus far that the longsword has fallen quite a ways away in terms of popularity and use. Now the reasons to me are obvious: almost half of the melee weapon users in my games go DEX, which means rapiers become the defacto d8 weapon... and of the STR users, half of those go two-handed. Which means probably only 1/4th of my melee combatants use one-handed non-finesse weapons, and there are like a half dozen of those to choose from. So longswords are few and far between.

Now for many DMs, that's probably not an issue... especially if longswords had always been the defacto weapon they always saw, in which this new paradigm is probably a welcomed change. But for me personally... I wish I saw more of them. And what best illustrates this oddity to me is that a race that is specifically called out as a one that would use and primarily should use longswords... that being the elves, due to their free proficiency in it... almost none of them actually do because it goes directly against their main stat bonus of +2 DEX. So I have yet to see an elf player forsake DEX to go STR specifically to use the longsword. (When they do go STR, they usually end up going two-handed heavy or polearm, like most other STR combatants I've seen.) Instead, it's rapier here, rapier there, rapier everywhere.

Where am I going with this? It's really just that-- I'm seeing at least 5 times as many rapier-users as I am longsword users, and it's become kind of irritating because I like the essence of the longsword as a D&D weapon more than I do the rapier. Thus I've come to the conclusion that I don't know if I really need two of virtually the same weapon, especially when one of those sides should be iconic but now doesn't even come close. After all... what is the difference between a longsword and a rapier? They are both martial, they are both 1d8 damage, they both are used with STR... but the longsword can be used two-handed for 1d10 damage while the rapier can also be used with DEX. And thus far... the latter has been way, way, way more of a deciding usage factor than the former.

So I'm considering making a change in my game that I think won't cause any real problems... but I wanted to throw it out there for opinion just in case I'm missing something that might screw things up that I don't realize. I'm considering removing the rapier from the game and instead adding the Finesse property to the longsword-- with possibly the extra rule that states you cannot use Finesse and Versatile properties together (so no 1d10 DEX weapon). But even that extra rule might not be necessary?

Are there any mechanical stumbling blocks or issues you can see by letting the longsword be a Finesse weapon (especially if I don't allow Finesse and Versatile to work together?) Thanks!

For a home brew katana (Samauri) I was going to make a 1d8/1d10 versatile two hand finesse weapon it does not break anything it does not have the heavy property so it can not be used with GWM and it is not a pole arm. Converting the longsword into a 1d8/1d10 versatile finesse weapon does not change anything in the grand scheme. I mean if you are worried about rogues why the difference between 1d8 and 1d10 is 4.5 vs 5.5 avg damage (If they use the options available to get rapier proficiency). I am sure most the dex builds are going duelist +2 damage so why use 2h property or DW so again why would you ever use the 2h property anyways so really not a big deal.

Just my two cents on the subject

Remove ads